Thread: Supercharged S54 won't idle; stalls almost immediately

My Cars
    Things that go PSHHH

Question Supercharged S54 won't idle; stalls almost immediately

Hey All-

Reaching out for some ideas of other things to check. I've just finished (well, almost) installing the ESS VT2-525 kit, but feel like I've run into a wall and I'm running out of ideas.

The car simply won't idle. It turns over just fine, seems to feel "ok" for about 4-5 seconds, then the revs drop and the car stalls.

Here's a video:

If I hold my foot on the gas to try to keep the revs up at like 2000rpm after it starts to drop, it feels like it's missing, yet no CELs are thrown. During that first few seconds, it does _not_ feel like it's missing, though.

Some more hopefully helpful details...
    - The kit uses larger injectors (630cc iirc), which are already installed
    - Kit uses a 3.5bar fuel pressure regulator, which is already installed
    - ECU has already been flashed with the image ESS sent me
    - Cleaned idle control valve
    - ICV does not appear to be siezed
    - New fuel filter
    - No codes thrown
    - I've taken off the intake manifold and all the vac lines and reinstalled just to make sure I didn't overlook tightening something down
    - Has secondary air pump delete
    - Has no cats, and O2 sensor should be compensated for in new ESS image (hence no CELs)
    - Car ran perfectly fine with no noticeable issues at all prior to installing the kit

Any ideas for anything else I should check/re-check?

Possible fuel pump issue? I didn't think this kit needed a larger fuel pump ... but maybe worth noting that it is a 16 year old car with over 200,000 miles. Maybe the stock one was on its way out, but just working well enough to seem fine NA with smaller injectors?

I will owe a TBD number of beers, or non-alcoholic comparable gift of choice, to whatever saint can save my sanity and ends up with the right answer.
    Last edited by S0nik; 05-04-2017 at 07:41 PM.

2001 E46 M3 SC ESS VT2-525 with pretty much everything else done
    2009 E90 335i xDrive (Daily) with JB4 and DCI
    1995 E36 M3 (indefinite hiberation) with Garage-Built Hodgepodge Turbo and more mods than I can remember anymore; 415whp/371wtq @ 12psi
    2000 E39 M5 (sadly gone; traded in for 335) with Magnaflow exhaust that I miss the most and would buy another in a heartbeat

My Cars
    95 m3, 85 e23,
    Engine wants to go Turbo asap, and refusing to run every time it realizes it has a supercharger bolted on to it. Happens all the time. Easy fix. Replace the SC with Garrett gtx35r turbo or similar. Fixed. Keep the beers, i dont drink.

My Cars
    2001 325i; 2006 325i
    I'm just spitballing here, but if you changed the injectors, don't you need to code them? Or is the coding somehow done in the flash?

I was under the impression that the software that ESS sends you as a part of their package also has diagnostic capabilities. I'm just saying that because I've been eyeballing their system for the 325i. If not, perhaps you should run a scan with whatever tool you have on hand. I just checked that system out on the ESS website and...

*The Z4M is very sensitive to vehicle sensor feedback. It is critical that all sensors and factory hardware components are in proper working condition. It is not uncommon to have the vehicle go into a power reduction mode during operation due to a fault during vehicle self diagnostics. For racing applications we recommend a stand alone engine management system to ensure 100% power at all times.
    Other than that, and the fact that it's supercharged aside, vacuum leak? I mean, a lot of stuff gets brittle over the course of 200k miles and 16 years.
    Last edited by TonyAngel; 05-05-2017 at 01:10 AM.

My Cars
    none
    Do a smoke test with pressure if you can. Find any leaks and get rid of them.

My Cars
    Things that go PSHHH
    Thanks all for the replies/suggestions. Just closing the loop... The culprit ended up being adaptations.

I got a K+DCAN cable and finally found an easy way to get INPA up and running (found someone's VirtualBox VM). Once I cleared the adaptations, it started and idled smoothly, with absolutely no problems.

2001 E46 M3 SC ESS VT2-525 with pretty much everything else done
    2009 E90 335i xDrive (Daily) with JB4 and DCI
    1995 E36 M3 (indefinite hiberation) with Garage-Built Hodgepodge Turbo and more mods than I can remember anymore; 415whp/371wtq @ 12psi
    2000 E39 M5 (sadly gone; traded in for 335) with Magnaflow exhaust that I miss the most and would buy another in a heartbeat