Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Betty the Beater- Just a beginner drift thread

My Cars
    '07 335I 6MT, '01 330i
    Thermal images are in imgur: https://imgur.com/a/mdbFB9o

Easiest way to upload them at work. Engine bay shots from a few angles, and then a profile of m front tires. All were taken less than 5 minutes after my last run, I'm pretty sure I finished my lap, left through grid, and then drove right to chris's garage bay to grab photos with him. Pretty interesting to see it all. I need to figure out a way to get cold air to my intake, I've got a lightbar taking up a lot of the middle lower grille, so that doesnt help. It does help me see at night though!
    Keep it simple: half gutted '01 330i, welded diff, BC coils, SLR Super kit

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    I have no idea when the swap over is. I just know that last year, I started belting feddies consistently.

The heat pix are interesting and really what you would expect. Makes me really want to header wrap my exhaust to keep under hood temps down. Engine bay heat is a killer. I can feel my car go down on power just due to heat. It's super frustrating.

Status: Someone put glitter in my oil. Wait. Why's all my oil outside the engine? What's that knocking?

My Cars
    '07 335I 6MT, '01 330i
    Yea, the pics were exacly what I was expecting too. I've got stock headers, and I'm sure the cats are just roasting right under there too. I honestly feel that engine heat isnt the issue to a point, and that if I could keep intake temps to near- ambient, my timing would quit pulling so much. It also helps that on sunday there was about a quarter mile straightaway, and sure monjiing it was fun, but it half the time I'd drift onto it, and slam third in the transition and kill the drift. Nothing cools the IAT's down like some 90 mph air into the bay. If I ever go for aftermarket headers, I'll definitely wrap them. Not really planning on headers though, don't think the benefit is worth the cost if I'm seriously considering turboing within 2 years.

My Cars
    e36 325ic
    i registered for fndp so I'll probably see you there man

My Cars
    '07 335I 6MT, '01 330i
    It'll be interesting to feel out two new tracks in a day. I've never been tech'd at CL, or driven there.... Nervous about tech, but don't see why I wouldnt pass. Ran through all the rules again. Do they check your undercarriage? I might put my brace+ drip tray back on, after I clean them lol. I'm going to go register right now, before I forget about it again.

My Cars
    e36 325ic
    no they probably wouldn't be that strict. They just check over the engine bay, make sure everything is good there, make sure seats are bolted in tightly, belts/harnesses fastened properly, check your helmet to make sure it's up to date, make sure your fire extinguisher is within arms reach/fastened tightly, and make sure the battery is tightly fastened. I'm sure if it's a pile (which your car isnt lol) or if they find something questionable they'll use a closer eye

My Cars
    '07 335I 6MT, '01 330i
    My seat is bolted tight but the back does have a tiny bit of play... I'm considering swapping my drivers/ passenger seats because the pass one is way tighter and better. Think they'll care about the back having a tiny bit of play? Such a pain in the ass to swap my mounts over to the other seat, and get it back in. Maybe I'll just be sure to have all the tools I need to do it, just in case.

My Cars
    e36 325ic
    no they wouldnt really care about that I dont think. More making sure that its actually bolted down correctly

My Cars
    '07 335I 6MT, '01 330i
    And where's your fire extinguisher? Mine's in front of my seat on a bracket (metal bracket, metal strap), and I'm hearing on facebook that they don't want them there. Not sure where else to put it. They're saying tech doesnt want it on my side of the trans tunnel. I guess I can put it on the pass rails, and see if I can reach it. Otherwise I guess I'll pull the carpet of teh trans tunnel, pop some rivnuts, and bolt it through the carpet to the tunnel.
    Last edited by awp235; 08-09-2018 at 10:13 AM.

My Cars
    e36 325ic
    Quote Originally Posted by awp235 View Post
    And where's your fire extinguisher? Mine's in front of my seat on a bracket (metal bracket, metal strap), and I'm hearing on facebook that they don't want them there. Not sure where else to put it. They're saying tech doesnt want it on my side of the trans tunnel. I guess I can put it on the pass rails, and see if I can reach it. Otherwise I guess I'll pull the carpet of teh trans tunnel, pop some rivnuts, and bolt it through the carpet to the tunnel.
    My car is completely gutted so I put it where the center console would go. They're more nervous that if it were to come loose it can get in your feet/the pedals. I had it on the passenger trans tunnel for the clinic last year before I took my interior out and that was fine then

My Cars
    '07 335I 6MT, '01 330i
    Well, its been a few weeks since my last event, the FNDP at Clubloose, at englishtown. What a freaking fun track. I think I rebent the pin in my subframe, but can't really be certain. I knocked the alignment off center on my last lap of the day- I went off track, and stayed in it, not realizing that Englishtown has some craters that aren't too friendly just off track. I'm used to Pocono Raceway's smooth grass, and lack of true dirt drops, and rocked a pothole. I actually got towed off track to make sure my oil pan wasnt cracked, as my car took a really really hard hit. Not even sure what hit yet, but my wheels are ok, and I ended up being able to drive the car with no issue. I suspect the shank I bent before is toast again, because I don't see anything noticeably wrong. Deja-vu..... But hey, I got some amazing media photos from my time at Englishtown!

Overall, englishtown was a huge success. My first run was kind of a feeler run, and my second run I linked the course all the way through the banked turn at the end. I have yet to pull videos, but I'll get around to it soon. The track is a really fun, technical track that just has some naturally amazing flow to it. It truly was a bit of a sentimental moment, when I was smoking out the hairpin in front of a crowd- I really remember my first day I was there as a spectator, years ago. My immediate thought was that one day, I swear I'll be down there on grid, making smoke for the crowds. And here I was, doing exactly that, ripping the whole course, having a great time.
    43265434604_6d1f88c794_o.jpg

Car's honestly been sitting still since I parked it from that event, it's still loaded up with tools and wheels. Need to unpack it soon, so I don't force sagging on my rear BC coils! I'll tear it apart soon, but the subframe/ motor/trans mounts might have to wait until the winter due to monetary constraints. I've been putting lots of time in on two wheels, and been spending lots of time working on the motorcycles too. I've got my baby, my.84 v65 sabre up and running like a raped ape again, and I'm thinking about doing a 1800 mile loop down to VA/ NC to run the whole Blue Ridge Parkway. I also simply have a few other things I'm hoping to save up for in the coming few months, so we'll see when I can get around to the drift car. If it's just the shank, I'm just going to order another replacement and try not to hit shit this time, and hope it lasts until I can replace the subframe.
    Last edited by awp235; 08-27-2018 at 01:21 PM.

My Cars
    e36 325ic
    Yeah there's huge drop offs around the track and I hate it since I'm on the lower end of cars, I asked one of the guys if they wanted to fill them and they said no so that way people will learn to not go off lol. Typical response from the guys there lol but i went off once and havent since so I guess it works ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

My Cars
    '07 335I 6MT, '01 330i
    Seems crazy that a track that's a well known drifting track wouldnt take care of the track. I wish they still used it for karting, they'd take better care of it.

My Cars
    e36 325ic
    They usually try and do improvements like the newly paved areas you saw around some turns like the first one which allows a wider line and the split in the middle of the track used to never be there, it used to only be the part of the track that goes right. They would basically need a full time person to fill in holes from people going off if they were to keep the area around the track looking nice. They still do track days on there as well as those super car test drive things among other events too so it is what it is, I wouldnt blame club loose alone basically

My Cars
    '07 335I 6MT, '01 330i
    It's also worth noting here, I'm seriously considering going the route of turboing my m54. I'd be looking to build it for 400-450hp reliably, and run it at 300-320whp for the time being. when I swpaped the motor into a caged shell, I'd likely be bumping the power up. I've been looking a lot into it.... gulp. I figure all said and done, I'd be about 5-6k deep, whereas with any v8 swap, I'd be nearly at that amoutn just after a tranny+engine+ adaptor mount kit. Downsides inclue spool, but at 3500+rpm of drifting I'm not truly worried about it, and if I pop a motor, m54's are pretty plentiful and cheap to come by. With studs and a cutring, you can apparently be reliable at 400+hp no problem.
    Then there's the question of top vs bottom mount, Top mount seemingly to be easier and more plentiful kits (CX racing makes the piping and such) but along with top mounts come a LOT of freaking heat... this would mean venting the hood, and still dealing with extra heat in an already roasting engine bay. Bottom mounting to an m54 isn't publicly charted, it's how technique Tuning runs their turbo kits, but I don't think they'd sell me a manifold+piping alone. Tuning would likely end up being RKTuning because they include injectors and a MAF along with theirs.
    I refuse to lose A/C on this car, and bottom mount would allow me to run a completely stock A/C setup.

My Cars
    '07 335I 6MT, '01 330i
    My 335 (the comfortable daily) is down for the count. Crazy misfires on 1 and 6, swapped coils, did new plugs, this weekend if I have time I'll swap injetcors aroudn and see if that's the issue. If not, probably the DME wiring went bad again, even though my mechanic said he fixed it.

So I drive my 330 into the city last night, to stay at my girlfriend's. SLR in the city is super fun, makes parking a breeze, and just ripping around the city in it was fun. Get in the car this morning.... 0 fan. Nothing. A/C kicks and def gets cold, but fan wont move any air. When I first bought the car, the FSR failed and I replaced it with a Vemo + germany made unit. It was on sale for $17, was worth it. Now I was going to order it through my local garage and try to get it today.... But I just talked to ECS, and while I've heard bad things about their work enviornment, I can't complain about customer service at all. I's been a year and a half since I ordered that part, and it's no longer on sale,so it's a $50 unit. They're overnighting me a free one!

It was nice out this morning, but it's going to be a really hot drive home. Still have yet to sort my cocked steering, which I assume is the newly bent shank. Also still want to try to gert my speedo working still, and wire the sensor into one of the front hub's sensors and see what the heck happens. Lots of things to do over winter, not to mention the eventual turbo build. Not going to start piecing that project together until I'm truly committed.
    Last edited by awp235; 08-30-2018 at 09:05 AM.

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    ECS is in mega damage control after a giant FB group bashing them and tons of people coming forward with bad stories. So I'm not surprised you got good treatment. I will personally never order from them unless I can't avoid it

Status: Someone put glitter in my oil. Wait. Why's all my oil outside the engine? What's that knocking?

My Cars
    '07 335I 6MT, '01 330i

Betty the Beater- Just a beginner drift thread

Quote Originally Posted by protomor View Post
    ECS is in mega damage control after a giant FB group bashing them and tons of people coming forward with bad stories. So I'm not surprised you got good treatment. I will personally never order from them unless I can't avoid it
    I looked a little closer, and it turns out they sent me out a crap no name brand- a little peeved since I got a slightly nicer name last time, even though it was on mega sale lol. When this one goes out I guess I’ll ask again. I don’t order through them for anything anymore, I get my parts at a local parts shop that lifetime satisfaction guarantees every single part, FCP style. Pretty good gig, I figure eventually my whole car will be replaceable!
    Last edited by awp235; 08-31-2018 at 12:16 AM.

My Cars
    '07 335I 6MT, '01 330i
    Hey everyone- I've stared accumilating parts for my eventual winter tune up- Car's probably going to be down a week or so, because I'll have to source parts mid job.
    So far, I've only gotten a hold of a new (used) subframe, that looks to be in good shape. I'm going to replace motor mounts, trans mounts, and the shank that my stupid tweaked subframe kept bending on my SLR kit. Hopefully that fixes the easily tweaking shank issue, because I really don't believe it's an SLR issue,. as I've said before. Also need to drop the diff, and replace the mounts in it, probably for some Poly ones.

While the subframe is off, I should pop the oil pan off, and check out my oil pump nut. I think I'm going to red locktite it, even though red locktight loosens up with heat. hopefully it'll stay seated for the time being.

My eventual plan is to start accumilating parts for a turbo build, which will include the GSR oil pump. Don't really have the funds to drop $700 on it right now.

Basically, This work spree will include what I've said above, possibly some shifter work to try to eliminate some play, and taking off the intake manifold to find where I'm losing coolant from.

I'm wondering about opinions on engine and trans mounts, as I do occasionally drive the car to work. It's already very loud, and I wear my bose noise cancelling headphones while driving it. Do Poly mounts do the job at keeping everything still, or should I just man up and go solid all around? I'm strongly leaning towards doing poly everything, but let me know If I'm being an idiot!

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    I'd go with rubber honestly. Stock good rubber will be as good as 90A poly IMO. Although inline 6s are inherently balanced so I doubt you'll notice much vibration. Also, if you're going to look at the oil pump nut, I'd do the nut and safety wire approach along with your red locktite. Just extra super sure you know?

My Cars
    '07 335I 6MT, '01 330i
    First time I'm hearing that stock rubber will be as good as anything. I was originally tossing around the idea of going full M mounts, because they're apparently a bit stiffer than the non M ones.

Also- Does the weight of the wire off balance the shaft at all? I know on the 3 Litre's sometimes the actual oil pump shaft will just break if everything's welded/ tightened on.

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    I think stock rubber gets a bad wrap. The M3 bits are plenty stiff. But that's all IMO kind of stuff.

I have heard of the oil pump shaft sheering off but that's pretty rare. Wire won't be enough to off balance anything to the point where it will break. I don't buy that for a second. I've welded the nuts before without issue too. Remember that the closer to the axis of rotation, the less torque required to spin.

My Cars
    '07 335I 6MT, '01 330i
    My worry with not going with poly, which is almost solid, is if I go to a chassis mounted shifter, the trans might keep moving around. You think M3 rubber would prevent enough movement? When I floor it, I can feel my transmission moving around just from touching the stick haha, all the mounts are super blown. And as far as the wired nut- I'll totally order one. Seems like a good idea, if I'll be in there anyway.

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    I ran my E30 that way (rubber mounts but solid mount shifter) with no issues. Fresh rubber makes all the diff IMO.

My Cars
    '07 335I 6MT, '01 330i
    Fresh M rubber it is then! Honestly was hoping to keep some shock protection in the driveline system. We're not kind to them to begin with.

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast