Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Betty the Beater- Just a beginner drift thread

My Cars
    '07 335I 6MT, '01 330i
    Unfortunately my $1000 car lived it's whole life in the north east, being dailyed through winters it seems. Every bolt broke on the way to getting the trans out... And you can see daylight through the side of the rear floor already! At this point we're calling it weight reduction, with the knowledge that if an engine swap is ever seriously considered, it'll be done on a cleaner roller chassis. My rear passenger jacking point no longer exists, and the structure where it used to be is mostly gone too. I jack up by the diff and put that side's jackstand on the frame rail.............. Gatta do what I gatta do!

My Cars
    1999 328ic , 2002 325xi
    Yeah I had a similar issue with water getting in, ended up being my windshield leaking around the seal. The frame had started rusting under the seal and that caused the leak.

My Cars
    '07 335I 6MT, '01 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by Piner View Post
    Yeah I had a similar issue with water getting in, ended up being my windshield leaking around the seal. The frame had started rusting under the seal and that caused the leak.
    My windshield has been my primary suspect. I just don't really want to put a new windshield in it- Can I rip the seal out and reseal it without actually removing the windshield? Is it possible o access the underside of the windshield frame to manage to seal it?

My Cars
    '07 335I 6MT, '01 330i
    Worthless update, but I finally bled the hydro out, it locks pretty well! I've never used one before, but it's perfectly bled and feels pretty good. Needs more force than I thought, but I think the pads need a little wearing in. New welds on caliper brackets seem solid, and have held up.

It's wet out though... so I guess I'll see if it really locks in the dry! No reason can think of that it won't.

My Cars
    e36 325ic
    I have an issue with water getting into my car also, some people say it could be that cowl/seal at the bottom of the windshield so I may look into getting a new one for my car, the seal is so old i can crack it right off with no force and the cowl itself is faded so it'll make it look a little better. This is for an e36 though, but could possibly be something similar on the e46

My Cars
    '07 335I 6MT, '01 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by mcfilmwerks View Post
    I have an issue with water getting into my car also, some people say it could be that cowl/seal at the bottom of the windshield so I may look into getting a new one for my car, the seal is so old i can crack it right off with no force and the cowl itself is faded so it'll make it look a little better. This is for an e36 though, but could possibly be something similar on the e46
    Eventually I'd love to replace the windshield on both my cars- bmw makes terribly soft windshield that just chips and speckles up like crazy. At night I can barely see when there's a light above or oncoming.

My Cars
    '07 335I 6MT, '01 330i
    Minor update- First off, have my 162's on as street wheels. Fronts won't be changed for the track, they're wrapped in Indy 500's now. Seem pretty solid, but I accidentally got 225 40's instead of 35's. They're a tiny bit bigger, but I'm hoping it wont make any real difference for clearance. I did pick up a fender roller, so I'll be able to fix any issues that I do end up having once I get the SLR on. That should be an interesting installation, but if I can change a clutch, I must be able to do the kit. I'll have to grab pickle forks, but that's no big deal.
    162's.jpg

I also got my center console back together, and I'm pretty happy with how it came out. I really only had to remove the 12V Car power socket, even though I kind of messed up the spring mech for the ash tray cover. It still works, just isn't sprung anymore. Oh well. I even got the cover back on the shifter, so the passenger doesn't get into my car anymore and truly think a ton of the car is missing.
    113.jpg

Drivers side window switches are zipped to the outside of the dash trim by the seat bolster, and the hazard and lock switch is below. Lightbar switch is zipped to the hazard switch, which ends up beign a pretty convenient place for it. I'll be changing the oil on the car today, and now that I have warrantied oil (that's right, bring back old oil and get new oil!) I'll be changing it every chance I get.
    Eventually I'd love to weld the oil pump nut on this, and be able to chip it to the 7k rpm limit.
    I also had the ground wire to the left rear light go out, so that whole light is out right now. No fun, but at least the repair kit is only 2.50.

I also recently became aware of the VDO stockish looking head unit. My radio is butt, and nothing really works on it. Bluetooth would be nice while on the track, but I'm not sure it's worth $170 over just using the $10 cassette aux cord I just got on amazon..
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by awp235; 06-06-2018 at 01:37 PM.

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    Looks like your CD unit has the "mode" button. If so, you can just buy the $20 aux input cable and have a plug-in ready to go. That's what I did on my last car. For cars without the mode button, there's a little dongle you can plug into the CD changer option to get the same functionality.

Did you try side mounting the hand brake before cutting into the console. Now I'm thinking of reverse mounting mine and letting the res hang under the dash. I SO don't want to cut stuff up. #fanboi #NoOneUsesHashTagsAnymore

Status: Someone put glitter in my oil. Wait. Why's all my oil outside the engine? What's that knocking?

My Cars
    '07 335I 6MT, '01 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by protomor View Post
    Looks like your CD unit has the "mode" button. If so, you can just buy the $20 aux input cable and have a plug-in ready to go. That's what I did on my last car. For cars without the mode button, there's a little dongle you can plug into the CD changer option to get the same functionality.

Did you try side mounting the hand brake before cutting into the console. Now I'm thinking of reverse mounting mine and letting the res hang under the dash. I SO don't want to cut stuff up. #fanboi #NoOneUsesHashTagsAnymore
    Any clue exactly which cable and more importantly, which port it goes into? I have the CD changer in the rear I think. I was considering that but couidnt find much concrete information about what exactly I needed for my cassette face only business radio. I'd hop on that immediately!

In hindsight, I went into the handbrake without seriously considering my options, but there are other things to consider too. Reverse pull might be hidden, but where I have the handle, the reservoir would be a foot into the center console or more, with no access to fill while bleeding, and certainly no access to rivnut it in or anything. A side mount plate is perfectly possible, but you'd be either cutting the dash or removing it with a side mount reverse pull, and a side mount would've meant pulling the front carpet out for me. I'm trying to keep my front carpet, just for driving comfort.
    Wait... We might have different thoughts on side mounting. My sikky only has mounting holes on the bottom, and while I could've side mounded it with a custom bracket, it doesn't seem clearly straightforward. I also wanted my handbrake exactly right there, no higher, so in the console it was. Overall I don't think it came out looking too haphazard.

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    If your car has the "mode" button, something like this just plugs into the back into the head unit https://www.amazon.com/BMW-Genuine-A.../dp/B000P9WCMK
    If you just have the CD button, just pickup something from here: https://quidzel.com/aux/

No new headunit needed.

I had a sikky handle. And now I have the CSB handle. Both I think mount on the bottom. I was just gonna weld a platform to the drive tunnel. Wherever it needed to be. Reverse style would just put the res where it hopefully wouldn't hit my knee. I haven't gotten there yet. Just pondering. For now I just whipped up a quick stock e brake handle extension.

Status: Someone put glitter in my oil. Wait. Why's all my oil outside the engine? What's that knocking?

My Cars
    '07 335I 6MT, '01 330i
    Just got notification that my SLR kit was delivered. Had it delivered to my father's business so there was someone to sign for it.

Not much of an update, just an excited post really. I've got new inners off of rockauto, and I'm hopefully going to be able to strip the front control arms off today after work. I'll stop by harbor freight and grab a pickle fork, because I beat on my car's parts with a sledge, and they didn't want to budge. Picklefork it is!

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    Things are happening!

My Cars
    '07 335I 6MT, '01 330i
    So, I’ve got it now, I boxed it. On the end where the control arm will go into the FCAB, there’s seems to be some tape/ wrap type stuff. The powder coat is all messed up on the ends, am I supposed to take it off down to bare metal? I’m not really sure...

My Cars
    1999 328ic , 2002 325xi
    Its the tape left over from powder-coating, we leave it on so the bare metal doesn't rust. Its a bit of a bitch to take off but just make sure the pin is free of any powder-coat and is just bare metal. Its a precision fit to the lollipops.

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    Paul is just too lazy to take it off so he makes you do it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

My Cars
    '07 335I 6MT, '01 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by Piner View Post
    Its the tape left over from powder-coating, we leave it on so the bare metal doesn't rust. Its a bit of a bitch to take off but just make sure the pin is free of any powder-coat and is just bare metal. Its a precision fit to the lollipops.
    Ok, good to hear. I’ll get it off.
    Just banged the knuckles free of the ball joint and the tie rod ends, but I’m stopping here for today. I took a red eye home from LA and drove right to work, so I’m freaking exhausted, and I just don’t feel like taking all the plastics off to get the sway bar all the way off, and reaching above the subframe and stuff. SLR is just going to be the centerpiece of my kitchen until I’m able to continue working on it on Friday.

My Cars
    none
    Man I'm getting so envious of all you SLR guys

IG: dimitriantoniou

My Cars
    '07 335I 6MT, '01 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by e30 394 View Post
    Man I'm getting so envious of all you SLR guys
    It was a big jump, but is supposed to be daily drivable, which I don't do but there's always the chance my n54 stops running for some reason or another, so it's good to know it can take some street abuse. everyone raves about the quality, and the ackerman adjustability is clutch. I'll probably run it on the 3rd setting, with 4 being the most ackerman possible, to have the oem feeling steering.

I'm a little confused with the ackerman adjustment though- I presume the holes next to the adjustment do something, is there a spacer or something I'm not seeing that will make sure the ackerman adjusting bolt stay still or something?

Now that I'm well rested, all I want to do is get the control arms the rest of the way off! Of course, work, and The Lion King with my little cousins from out of town have to take me away from my car for the evening. Realistically Friday is when I'll be slamming it all together, and when I know I'm finishing it Friday, I'll be calling around and seeing who can fit me in for a custom alignment on Saturday morning. The highest level of AAA makes me not hesitate to tow my car pretty car to a good alignment!
    Last edited by awp235; 06-20-2018 at 01:11 PM.

My Cars
    98 328is
    Quote Originally Posted by awp235 View Post
    It was a big jump, but is supposed to be daily drivable, which I don't do but there's always the chance my n54 stops running for some reason or another, so it's good to know it can take some street abuse. everyone raves about the quality, and the ackerman adjustability is clutch. I'll probably run it on the 3rd setting, with 4 being the most ackerman possible, to have the oem feeling steering.

I'm a little confused with the ackerman adjustment though- I presume the holes next to the adjustment do something, is there a spacer or something I'm not seeing that will make sure the ackerman adjusting bolt stay still or something?

Now that I'm well rested, all I want to do is get the control arms the rest of the way off! Of course, work, and The Lion King with my little cousins from out of town have to take me away from my car for the evening. Realistically Friday is when I'll be slamming it all together, and when I know I'm finishing it Friday, I'll be calling around and seeing who can fit me in for a custom alignment on Saturday morning. The highest level of AAA makes me not hesitate to tow my car pretty car to a good alignment!
    SLR youtube channel. they explain the holes. or is it Piners channel?

My Cars
    none
    Getting my old control arms off wasn't too bad so hopefully it all goes smoothly for you. I Still need to get behind the wheel of a car with SLR I'm sure that will be the final nail in the coffin for me to bite the bullet. Daily drivability is pretty important to me as well. I do a lot of car buying and selling so sometimes the drift car is on daily duty lol. Ill be listening for your opinion.

IG: dimitriantoniou

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    I've been daily driving my E46 with fortune auto 510s and the SLR kit without issue. You only notice ackerman stuff when you're in high angle situations. But that's only parking. Never on the regular road.

My Cars
    '07 335I 6MT, '01 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by RandomHero27 View Post
    SLR youtube channel. they explain the holes. or is it Piners channel?
    Any clue which video? I'm not seeing the video on SeanLoveRacing, at least.

Quote Originally Posted by protomor View Post
    I've been daily driving my E46 with fortune auto 510s and the SLR kit without issue. You only notice ackerman stuff when you're in high angle situations. But that's only parking. Never on the regular road.
    I was under the impression it can give different feel at high angle on the road and track- What setting do you use?

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    So the adjuster has something like 5 positions. I forget what the latest version uses. But you can rotate the locating cone thingy one way or backwards for 2 settings, then x2 that by rotating the bolt itself. I use one away from the closest it gets from factory.

Different feel at high angle is right. But you're NEVER at that angle on either. It feels like stock until a half turn in either direction. But if you do that on the track, you're already off track. On the street, you only do that on turns from a stop or a parking lot.

My Cars
    '07 335I 6MT, '01 330i
    I'll have to look on the other side for the cone locating thingy. And you're using the setting that's far from stock, aka a low ackerman setting?

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    No. I'm using 1 notch away from stock. So like 1-4, 1 is as stock as it gets and 4 being "wtf is ackerman?" I'm using 2.

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast