Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Betty the Beater- Just a beginner drift thread

My Cars
    '07 335I 6MT, '01 330i
    Nova- are you running overfenders? Mind posting pics of your front fitment?

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    Quick pix. lmk what else you want. Def looks sunken in at the top lol
    https://photos.app.*******/MWojEGMiaQUdGDbd6

Status: Someone put glitter in my oil. Wait. Why's all my oil outside the engine? What's that knocking?

My Cars
    '07 335I 6MT, '01 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by protomor View Post
    Quick pix. lmk what else you want. Def looks sunken in at the top lol
    https://photos.app.*******/MWojEGMiaQUdGDbd6
    Link's hidden, and it doesn't go to the actual link lol. I'm not sure what site you host on, so I can't guess either. Mind sharing which it is? haha

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    *sigh* it's a google photo album. It's actually censoring the google link. Here's an imgur link - https://imgur.com/a/cnYTBzs

Status: Someone put glitter in my oil. Wait. Why's all my oil outside the engine? What's that knocking?

My Cars
    '07 335I 6MT, '01 330i
    Oh wow, really sunken! I'm kind of surprised. I guess a 30mm spacer will probably fill that right up though. Thinking about just getting eibach 30mm's to put my style 162's to +5.

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    It's currently -3.5 camber so the gap will be a little less when I dial things out. But yea, it's def not stupid sunken or out.

My Cars
    '07 335I 6MT, '01 330i
    Preemptively ordered eibach 30mm spacers, they come today. They're spacers that I trust, because they'll be under a fair bit of stress. I'm currently trying to sell a motorcycle, which is listed and has pretty good interest it seems- as soon as someone hands me money, I'll be going right to SLR's shop and ordering my kit. Super excited!

My Cars
    '07 335I 6MT, '01 330i
    So, I got my 30mm eibach spacers, and I had to throw them on! I think they look great, and effectively make me style 162 front's a +4 offset in prep for the SLR super kit. Tire poke's a ton, but low key I love how it looks. Don't love how I had to try twice to get down the bottom of my driveway... and if I do an event like this, I think I'll need to raise it a half inch to an inch. I guess I'll be rolling/ maybe do some necessary pulling for the SLR, though the added camber should help a bunch. Maybe I can get away with a light roll.... maybe. Here's some pictures of the from fitment. Don't mind the toe out, I must have 3/4-1" of it right now, and it shows in my front tire wear. Super responsive mid drift though!

IMG_5211.jpgIMG_5210.jpgIMG_5209.jpgIMG_5208.jpg

Wow, I'm super sorry about the sideways pictures. No easy way to fix them right now though!

Also, when I went to put my new insurance in the glovebox.... I found a freaking mouse nest. 5 little babies, mom not home. Unfortunately, I'm sure they didn't survive the night outside, as lots of foxes hang around my neighborhood. I moved the car to the other side of my driveway on the street. Any quick tips on keeping damn rodents out of the car?
    Last edited by awp235; 05-03-2018 at 10:41 PM.

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    car looks niiice! I think a small roll will do it wonders. I got no clue about mice tho.

My Cars
    e36 325ic
    nothing a little bit of camber and a roll wouldnt fix, looking good!

My Cars
    '07 335I 6MT, '01 330i
    Thanks guys. I'm definitely going to wait until the SLR gets installed before I roll it, to see what really needs to be done. I want the fitment to be top notch, but not rub under compression. I'm trying to trade my 2 rear 8.5" 162's for fronts spec ones that are 8" wide, but might have to end up buying two more fronts to run on the rear of the drift car. The plan in the rear is a little spacer, adjustable control arms to dial out that camber, since I get pretty biased wear while sliding, and dump it as low as doesn't rub. Keeping the softish springs on these coils, because the car is REALLY well balanced as it is right now. I barely notice the bumpers when running onto them on the track, and it certainly doesn't upset the car much. I might have to take the drip tray off, since I can barely get my LoPro jack under the front center jacking point as it is!

Threw together a video of the my drifting at the RSD opener. I'm a noob at making them, sorry about the quality- but hey it's miles better than the last!
    Last edited by awp235; 05-04-2018 at 11:18 AM.

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    Your thread says stock clutch but the picture looks unsprung. What kit did you get and how do you like it? My stock one in both my 330s are basically gone and won't tolerate a clutch kick from a stand still. Also, Can I get pix of the center console area and how you did the hydro? I think I saw before but close ups would be nice.

My Cars
    '07 335I 6MT, '01 330i
    I'm under the impression that it is a stock clutch, I ran the original flywheel (I think from the factory, not sure, wasn't tooooooo scorched) , and the clutch I ordered was spec'd on ECS as a stock replacement, and it looked identical to the one that came out. I assumed it was stock. It was a valeo kit with alignment tool. Fit great, everything bolted up easily. I even used the bearings that came with it, even though mad people online said to get a better T/O bearing and Pilot bearing, I figured with drifting, the clutch would wear out before either of the bearings did.
    My clutch is holding up well, watch the video and listen for the clutch kicks, it definitely holds still. It launches hard, drop the clutch from a dig or kick. definitely not as grabby as it first was, but hasn't degraded since I noticed that. I'm at 7kish miles and 6 events on it.
    I'll post up pics of the handbrake moutning- I tried to rivnut it to the tunnel but I messed up 2/3 because of my own stupidity, so It's bolted through the front hold and rivnutted well on the rear hole. I'll grab pics when I have a chance later for you though. You can peep it in the video I think,. if you want a POV look. Still haven't gotten a chance to have the dual bracket welded back on, so I haven't finished the center console reinstallation. I THINK I'm going to be able to cut out the cig lighter space, and leave the ashtray and the storage compartments. Handy to have the little bit of storage since I don't have cupholders to hold my phone anymore. And I'm intent on keeping the ashtray, because tires aren't the only thing I burn...
    Last edited by awp235; 05-04-2018 at 01:25 PM.

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    Can you drop second gear at redline from a dead stop? If so, This is cheap and I might pick it up. Altho I'm not sure how much I care about reusing an old dual mass. On my last one I just took a wire wheel to it lol.

My Cars
    '07 335I 6MT, '01 330i
    Idk about second gear....... I can do first, and I do at every launch!
    I mean I could TRY second... But I'm not sure I want to blow my clutch's grabbiness just for you!
    I didn't even take my old DMFW off. I looked at it, and thought to myself "Well, that looks less than ideal, but I didn't buy a new one and have no money for one, so I think it'll work fine!"
    Didn't chatter or vibrate or anything.

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    Dumping first should be fine. I'm still used to LS power where first gear is pointless for anything. I did a second gear clutch dump in the rain and just burned my clutch on my DD 330.

My Cars
    '07 335I 6MT, '01 330i
    Well, this was a hit!
    SLR dent.jpg
    Made the jump, want to have it installed and aligned for the June 30/ July 1st event. going to transform how I drift, I suppose. Goignt o try not to rely on the angle, but it'll be nice to send it hard and still catch it.

Got the dual caliper setup welded back on, freaking solid now. Still need to bleed out the system so I can actually use it.

I'm missing the mid may events because of unforeseen car and bike expesnes, last weekend was an expensive one of breakdowns. Hoping to get that SLR kit on, and I think I have enough tire to get me through the whole weekend event at the end of June. Have a buddy coming through to ride along too, and he hasn't come since last weekend.

Promotor- I'll try to grab pictures on my phone of the hydro placement before I head out for my friends' graduation weekend. Sunday I might try to mod the center console stuff and get all that back in, looking semi- factory. It's annoying having to hunt down random wires to find the window switches, so I just need to figure out how I'm placing them.

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    All good. Thank you! And welcome to the SLR side.

My Cars
    '07 335I 6MT, '01 330i
    All good. Thank you! And welcome to the SLR side.
    I've managed to forget to take pictures, continuously.

The SLR side is an expensive one, I just hope it's worth it! And I hope it comes in time for the june30/ July1 event I want to hit. I Need enough time to install it myself, then driven or towed to the shop I use, 30 miles from my house for the custom alignment, and I need to see if the fenders need any modification after it's installed to fit full lock. With the spacers on, I think I'll be able to get almost, if not all the lock out of it that it's made for. I'm hoping for no fender mods necessary with the extra camber from the kit. I plan on doing the inner tie rods as per Piner's recommendation, and I think that'll be in for the angle. Te kit basically replaces most front end bushings and ball joints, so I used it as an excuse to get it rather than refresh the front with OEM.

My Cars
    '07 335I 6MT, '01 330i

Betty the Beater- Just a beginner drift thread

Ok protomor(what's your name from, anyway? I always think it's pro-motor, but that's my milks dyslexia), have some pics for you. There's one pic with it moved over into the reverse notch, before going Into reverse, and 2 pics in reverse showing the clearance with my hand. It's essentially just rivnutted right into the sheet metal. It's pretty solid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by awp235; 05-16-2018 at 08:27 PM.
    Keep it simple: half gutted '01 330i, welded diff, BC coils, SLR Super kit

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    lol. My name is Yoshi. The username should be proto and mor. I just wanted a username without numbers.

Anywho, so did you run self tapping screws or was there a nice hole for at least one of those bolts to go through? I hate the idea of relocating the window switches but what you have really does look like the best spot.

My Cars
    '07 335I 6MT, '01 330i
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    lol. My name is Yoshi. The username should be proto and mor. I just wanted a username without numbers.

Anywho, so did you run self tapping screws or was there a nice hole for at least one of those bolts to go through? I hate the idea of relocating the window switches but what you have really does look like the best spot.
    Seems my stinkin reply from mobile didn't go through earlier.
    I used rivnuts- I had never heard of them before this project. Basically a special hollow rivet that has threads on the inside part, and gets crushed into a drilled hole in the sheet metal while retaining the threads. Then you have something to bolt to!
    I messed up the first one because I used the crappy rivnuts that came with the setter. There was no going back from that screwup, so I ended up having to massacre the backside of the transmission tunnel to have access to put a nut on the back of the front bolt. Had to punch through it with a hammer and a long screwdiver, it's a mess lol. The rear is a simple little rivnut, set in and is a handy place to bolt to. If you go this route, use these. They are really easy to set and have a nice fat lip.

I wanted to use rivnuts so it was easy to pop the thing off should I ever need to. Now it'll be half easy to come off.

I also wanted the handle to be close to the console, so I could whip my hand to the gearshift from the wheel without going around it. I thinki I'll be able to trim the 12v socket out of the center stuff, and then put the storage and ashtray back in. Haven't totally figured out where the window switches are going.
    Last edited by awp235; 05-17-2018 at 10:27 AM.

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    oh yes. Rivnuts make sense. I should pick up a set. Not too expensive either. I look forward to the rest of the install. I think the handle install is my least favorite part of a "clean" drift car build. It's just so in the way.

My Cars
    '07 335I 6MT, '01 330i
    oh yes. Rivnuts make sense. I should pick up a set. Not too expensive either. I look forward to the rest of the install. I think the handle install is my least favorite part of a "clean" drift car build. It's just so in the way.
    Very true. I really wanted to keep the center console stockish. One of my buddies ran his handle through the left side window switch hole, and it looks pretty clean, but now that I mounted mine, his must be absolutely in the way of everything!

I've also run into this issue of water issues on my passenger side footwell. I might have to rip the carpet out, as yesterday during a huge storm you could slap the front of the carpet and it would splash.. lol. I'd love to find the issue and keep the carpet, but that's going to be a pain in the butt. I might just leave it and live with the knowledge that there's tons of water right there.

My Cars
    E36 M3, jzxE28
    Quote Originally Posted by awp235 View Post
    I might just leave it and live with the knowledge that there's tons of water right there.
    Do you want rust cause that's how you get rust
    instagram @andyitslit

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast