Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Betty the Beater- Just a beginner drift thread

My Cars
    none
    bmw calipers are so ugly, id just paint them black to hide them lol

IG: dimitriantoniou

My Cars
    '07 335I 6MT, '01 330i
    So, little update. Pictures will come later- I'm at work!

It's been a LONG weekend. I wont say I'm great at working on cars, and I know that working on jack stands for big jobs just absolutely makes it harder than it has to be, if I had a lift. My buddy Ugo drove down from Michigan to come do this job with me, since he had to reinforce his e36 drift car's subframe moutns anyway, why not hang out and do it together?Always nice to have a pair of hands that has some experience around. So everything goes great for the first 3 days, then it comes time to put Ugo's car back together, because time is running out for him to make it back to work Tuesday, after a 9-10 hour drive. We press the diff bushings in, he gets a tiny overzealous with my new pretty strong milwuakee impact..... and pop, we blow out his diff cover. At 1AM, before he's supposed to leave by noon that same day. Amazingly manage to find a diff and have it in the garage by noon- we lost 12 hours to that stupid thing. we put everything back together, pop the subframe on, which went surprisingly well, and meanwhile get my gas tank back in my car. My subframe is ready to go in now, but we needed to get him on the road, and anyone can help me align the bolts and get it bolted up. So we put his car all back together, but he forgets to tighten the strut's top nuts down, and when he starts driving it, it breaks the bolt that holds the RTA to the RTAB..... Yikes. Limps it the mile back to my house, said it was the sketchiest mile of his life, and we've been in some real piles of sketch together. So, My car's still on stands, has solid subframe bushings in, and has plates welded on, and dual caliper brackets welded on. It needs the subframe lifted back up, but everything's welded up and I should run my dual caliper lines before I do that.

As usual, the project goes on...

TL;DR: Didn't finish in the planned time, worked hard, cursed a lot, and my hands and body hurt in ways that I'm only familiar with from when I dropped my trans with the car on jackstands that one time. Also, lots of new stains on my dad's garage floor. Hoping degreaser and power washing will get them out when it warms up a bit...

My Cars
    '07 335I 6MT, '01 330i
    Well, 2 days before my first event of the season (Ready Set Drift season opener) I ripped the e brake for the first time after finally finishing the lines and bleeding it out.... Broke one of the caliper brackets off, wedged the caliper between the wheel and the rotor. Had to reverse home, and up the driveway, as the wheel just locked up if I moved forward at all. Gah!

Then, this sunday I drifted it! I ran the sunday East Course at Pocono raceway. Not sure why I was so scared of a road course, it was SUPER fun! I was either kicking the clutch about 12 times a run, or riding redline in 2nd the entire time. It was crazy fun once I got used to the track layout, it's a pretty tricky line to learn. I counted my clutch kicks on video, I feel bad for that poor stock clutch.....

Car ran wonderfully though. No leaks, decent power, and loved redline. Sometime soon I want to weld the oil pump nut on, so I can bring the redline up to 7k and get a tiny bit more wheel speed out of second. Every little bit makes a huge difference!

I ''m strongly considering an SLR kit. Seems aggressive to go from no angle to SLR, but I'm in need of new control arms and bushings. It'll cost me 165 a side for the LCA's, and then some nice polt bushings etc brings the job up to around $500. Why not put that money towards SLR? I'm trying to figure out what other costs are involved in going that route though, so I messaged Piner for some deets. Maybe big things will happen! I was linking the road course towards the end of the day with stock power and stock steering, so I'd call it a winner of a day. Not to mention the tons of fun I had!

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    Once you go road courses, you never want to go back to a parking lot lol. Clutch kicking is fine. Maybe not great for the inner springs n stuff but the clutch surface is fine as long as it doesn't slip.

If you want, go look at the video I posted the other day of my E46. It's the super kit. I hit the frame and have no spacers but the amount of angle is amazing. No other mods to the car other than a welded diff, fortune 510s, a bucket seat, and the SLR super kit. It was even super down on power.

Status: Someone put glitter in my oil. Wait. Why's all my oil outside the engine? What's that knocking?

My Cars
    '07 335I 6MT, '01 330i
    What're the offset of the wheels? I'm thinking I'd use some spacers to make my +35 162's around +10ish... I know it's a lot, but hey, cheaper than new wheels. And I think I'm going to dig the 162 fronts on there. I'm thinking I'm going to spring for the super, to avoid needing to go overfenders or anything drastic like that. Piner tells me the angles end up being the same, but the ultra just allows way wider wheels up front, for more grip. I'm no FD driver, so I don't think I'll need it. I think I know what my tax return is going to go to.....

My car is pretty much stock, some solid bushings in the rear, some poly RTABs, welded diff, on BC BR's, with some old racings seats in it. Seems like a good recipe for a fun cheap drift car!

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    Oh I don't know the offset... something horrible like +42. I think the wheel is 7.5" wide. I mean it's a 205. But it does hit the frame. The ultra kit will help a ton with clearance. But yea it looks goofy. I'm gonna dial out some camber and maybe space things out a bit. Hopefully that works. Regardless, I rarely was in a position where I needed more angle. I just want to be able to run my front sway bar again.

Status: Someone put glitter in my oil. Wait. Why's all my oil outside the engine? What's that knocking?

My Cars
    '07 335I 6MT, '01 330i
    I'm going to get outside with a measuring tape when I get home and look at the difference between 27mm and 54mm of spacing would be. Would you say you wish you went with the ultra? The way Piner was talking about it is that I'd really have no need, but it would be nice to not have to worry as much about clearance. At the same time, I'm trying to avoid fender work though, can't have it all, I suppose. I figure spacing out the wheels, and the ultra arms adds about 3 1/8" width to each side. Never going to cover that without fenders. He was telling me between -5 and +5 offset, 8 inch wheel with 225 tire, and I'd get the same angle out of super or ultra.

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    I half regret not getting the ultra kit. I want my car to be a sleeper so the ultra kit wouldn't work for that. But now I hit everything in the wheel well. I might want to fab some steering stops or something to avoid rubbing the frame.

If you want pure function, go ultra. But yea. you'd also want the camber top plates to get away from mega nega camber. Becomes a PITA. I actually might not need mine with the super kit.

My Cars
    1999 328ic , 2002 325xi
    A super kit on an E46 widens the track by just a little over an inch each side, Ultra is 2 inches per side.

Either ultra or super are going to need low offset wheels to make the most out of it. My car I use 17X8 +20 Style 32's with a 15mm spacer and I hit about 65 degrees of lock on my E36. It feels like cheating

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    On my 46 with an ultra kit and 245/40r17s +20 style 42s with a 30mm spacer and it was close. I added rack stops since then and now have about 1.25" of clearance to everything so I could probably drop to a 10 or 15 spacer

My Cars
    1999 328ic , 2002 325xi
    ^ That's on a 9 inch wide wheel right?

My Cars
    '07 335I 6MT, '01 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by Piner View Post
    A super kit on an E46 widens the track by just a little over an inch each side, Ultra is 2 inches per side.

Either ultra or super are going to need low offset wheels to make the most out of it. My car I use 17X8 +20 Style 32's with a 15mm spacer and I hit about 65 degrees of lock on my E36. It feels like cheating

What kind of camber would I be looking at if I didn't have the top extended camber plates? If I just ran the standard BC ones? I kind of forseeneeding camber plates if I go for the ultra...
    Also, I would probably need overs- never knew you could get a replacement fender for $30. Are they any good? Could I make overfenders out of a set cheap fenders? Cut at the body line and rivnut on?
    Last edited by awp235; 04-25-2018 at 10:44 PM.

My Cars
    1999 328ic , 2002 325xi
    Super kit on an E46 and BC camber plates you should be able to run with less than -3* of negative camber. All cars are slightly different so you might be able to have your front end more positive. The Ultra kit you are going to be at minimum with BC camber plates -5* with the plates maxed out, probably more than that in all likelihood.

That's one of the reasons I say unless its going to be a really serious car the super kit is all you need. You don't need the offset camber plates and its easier to fit under the fenders with a low offset wheel. The super kit can hit just as much angle as the Ultra if not running 245/255 wide front tires on a 9-9.5 inch wide wheel. The Ultra just ends up making you spend more for a little extra track width (+$90 for the ultra arms, +$188 camber adapters, +$50 for camber sliders since you have BC's and their slider doesn't fit) which on a non-proam or non-pro level car there really isn't much benefit really.

As far as the fenders, Not sure I just rolled the hell out of mine to fit the kit but then again I do not run low so I don't have fender clearance issues.

My Cars
    '07 335I 6MT, '01 330i

As far as the fenders, Not sure I just rolled the hell out of mine to fit the kit but then again I do not run low so I don't have fender clearance issues.
    I'm going to me bouncing back and forth until I click buy. Do you have the super or ultra arms on your e36? I SHOULD and in all likelihood will really go for the super, but occasionally I get reckless with my money. I'm a drifter, after all.
    I don't run slammed or anything, the only place I ever scrape is going up my driveway. I suspect when I roll the cheap out of mine they'll fit.

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    I literally have 2 cars in my driveway right now with SLR kits. One super and one ultra. I can take pix or measurements if you'd like. Although the super kit is on my E46 and the ultra kit is on an E30 I'm installing the SLR camber plates on.

It's really a compromise. You'll wind up with more work to access the angle if you go with the super kit. Wheel spacers and clearancing things. The ultra kit needs the camber top plates (boo -5 camber) and body mods but you'll have a much easier time getting full lock. It comes down to what gruff you're willing to put up with. If it's not a street car, go ultra. If it IS a street car, go super. IMHO of course.

My Cars
    '07 335I 6MT, '01 330i
    It is a street car, but it's not my daily or anything. It just has t be survivable to run an hour to, and from the track, and an hour to and from work. Nice to have a second street car, in case the 335 goes down for any reason. If I could get some pics of the front fitment on your e46 with the super, that'd be awesome. Mybe with a measuring tape in the frame by the fender from the front/ top, to get an idea of where the wheel (unspaced) sits. I'd love to go ultra, and I'm fine with rolling my fenders as far as possible, but I'm just not sure I want to deal with overs or the extra costs bringing in the camber if I can really get all the angle by spacing out my wheels. Spacers are pretty cheap.

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    Will do. I'll try to do that tonight.

My Cars
    1999 328ic , 2002 325xi
    Also just adding fuel to the fire. There is a gang of muscle car 17x8 0 offset wheels on ebay for around a $100 each. No spacer needed.

Awp my kit is a super kit and I hit 60* with 17x8 +20 and 65* with a 15mm spacer. Would I go ultra? no I would not.

My Cars
    98 328is
    Also just adding fuel to the fire. There is a gang of muscle car 17x8 0 offset wheels on ebay for around a $100 each. No spacer needed.

Awp my kit is a super kit and I hit 60* with 17x8 +20 and 65* with a 15mm spacer. Would I go ultra? no I would not.
    i posted this in another thread, but you can get 17x8+0 American racing Torque Thrust in 5x120.65 (fits) with a 73.1 (fits) hub bore for like $130 on amazon. this is my plan for the E36 when i start adding angle beyond my current tie rod spacers. Hell i may do it sooner just so i have the wheels ready.
    Last edited by RandomHero27; 04-26-2018 at 12:17 PM.

My Cars
    e36 325ic
    I was waiting to see if you were gonna be at the clinic on sunday, it was tons of fun, we were basically hot lapping by the end of the day since some people left early, some cars broke, etc but I definitely say next time they have a beginners clinic go to it! I was thinking of making my way out to RSD on the 19th-20th but I don't think it's gonna work for me but I should be driving schools out moves and sunday at ecb if you're gonna be around

My Cars
    '07 335I 6MT, '01 330i

No fuel needed, I'm pretty set on getting a kit. Still sounds like I SHOULD go super kit. Who the heck even needs 6
    MC- I had already registered 2 weeks prior to south course with RSD. Hoping to make it to one of the june CL days, or whenever another clinic comes. Got tons of seat time. Might try to hit schools out instead of skidpad weekend at RSD, haven't totally decided. I do want to hit a club loose event though, so maybe I should rock it. Maybe do both!! All about that seat time. I'm hoping to get my refund check asap, so I can get my SLR order in.

About the wheels... I'm just not sure I love muscle car wheels. Crazy practical though, I'll give you that. what size tire do you run? 225 45? I was hoping to stay 18 out front.... cause style, ya know
    Last edited by awp235; 04-26-2018 at 12:58 PM.

My Cars
    1999 328ic , 2002 325xi
    Currently I am on 215/40/17 Federal RS-RR's but more so just to try them out. I haven't driven on them yet.

I used to use 205/40/17 Safirro S7000's something or other dumb cheap tire's up front. Never really had a problem with front gip but I got a smoking good deal on the RS-RR's I couldn't really pass them up and plus I like the idea of having a really sticky front tire that I can dial grip in and out with tire pressure. So if I want more I run in the 30 psi range if I want less (Which I probably will) I'll pump them up to 50 or whatever feels best on the day.

My Cars
    '07 335I 6MT, '01 330i
    Just threw up a quick grab from my gopro. Angle was off the second half of the day, but you can still see enough!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNggxU_xBk0
    South course is fun, but the car really did need the clutch to get kicked if I was going to keep it in 3rd going that slow. 2nd it was riding the limiter the whole time!

- - - Updated - - -

Currently I am on 215/40/17 Federal RS-RR's but more so just to try them out. I haven't driven on them yet.

I used to use 205/40/17 Safirro S7000's something or other dumb cheap tire's up front. Never really had a problem with front gip but I got a smoking good deal on the RS-RR's I couldn't really pass them up and plus I like the idea of having a really sticky front tire that I can dial grip in and out with tire pressure. So if I want more I run in the 30 psi range if I want less (Which I probably will) I'll pump them up to 50 or whatever feels best on the day.
    Let me know how the RS-RR's work out. Lots of talk about them.

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    ^ That's on a 9 inch wide wheel right?
    I think style 42 / 5 are 8"

- - - Updated - - -

also with my E46 on Ultra with BCs and Fortunes on it I'm a hair under -5 in the front, no SLR plates. Usually reads 4.7-4.9 each time I get aligned. I've had a set of the SLR plates on my shelf since they released and honestly I'm just too lazy to deal with installing them.

My Cars
    1999 328ic , 2002 325xi
    245 on an 8 is a wide tire for that wheel the shoulder has to be pushing out side the edge of the wheel. That will lend to hitting the frame and or control arm sooner. Any reason to be running a tire that wide up front?

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast