Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Betty the Beater- Just a beginner drift thread

My Cars
    '07 335I 6MT, '01 330i
    The off season has me laaazzzzyyyyy. A few updates- I FINALLY got a shop!!
    new shop.jpg
    new shop 2.jpg
    Renting a little half hangar at a semi- local airport. 25 miles from my house, but it's a good space for $250 a month. brought the drift car there last week finally, parked it and immediately noticed it was gushing oil from tons of places. Have all the parts to do the wired oil pump nut, subframe swap to a new to me one that's hopefully not tweaked like my current one is, diff bushings, engine and trans mounts, OPG. While the subframe is out I need to diagnose why my car started gushing all that oil. I'll also be pulling off the intake manifold and finding the coolant leak, I assume the heater tubes are cracked or something.

I also splurged on a Cliq Tuning shifter, because my friend had a great experience with his. Grabbed a DSSR too. Really looking forward to that upgrade.

And, relevant to this build... I mightve gotten a new chassis. Picked up this 2001 325xi wagon, in pretty good shape. It was advertiszed as having a blown head gasket, and I bought it not running, with a totally flat battery and a "blown HG"
    Get it home, put the drift car's battery in it, and start it- running rough on 4 cylinders. I clear the miss codes, and it clears right up. The fan clutch is giving out so really long drives start to make it want to run hot, and high rpm gets the fan spinning to cool it. USPS seems to have totally lost my package, which is an E fan to convert it to that.

made it to work.jpg

Long term, my dream is to fully swap the 330i drivetrain and suspension into the wagon, make it a turbo drift wagon. Would be sweet. Short term, I'm fixing it, using it for the utility of a wagon, and listing it for sale... and list it for sale. If I get a 2600+ offer, I'd probably sell it, as I only have 1075 into it including the fan. Can always find another shell.

Time to get to work on the drift car thouhg. Really hoping to have the wagon functional asap, but at this point I'm just waiting on USPS....
    Keep it simple: half gutted '01 330i, welded diff, BC coils, SLR Super kit

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    I mostly regret selling my wagon. It was a good little pos that I did a 328 motor swap in. Only problem is that the wagon specific parts are an arm and a leg. They wanted $600 for a used replacement hatch glass.

Status: Someone put glitter in my oil. Wait. Why's all my oil outside the engine? What's that knocking?

My Cars
    '07 335I 6MT, '01 330i
    Jeez, that's a boatload. I honestly really like the wagon, although I broke one of the interior trim panels that goes on the hatch. Have to finagle a way to get it to stay on the hatch. It's auto, and awd.. so it's kind of a boat. But coming from my pretty stiff sporty ride 335i, and my drift car... it's REALLY nice having a comfort suspension car to bum around in sometimes. Also, the girlfriend hasnt quite picked up manual yet, so it'll be nice to have something around that she can drive/ take if she ever needs a vehicle. My rear wiper doesnt seem to work, havent checked what's up with that. Needs 3 window regulators, but other than that everything really seems to work. No aux, but I might just buy the plug for the back of the radio to give me an aux in capability.

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    Yea the aux mod is like $20. Can't really complain yno? AWD should be nice in the winter. But I'll agree with being meh on the auto.

Status: Someone put glitter in my oil. Wait. Why's all my oil outside the engine? What's that knocking?

My Cars
    '07 335I 6MT, '01 330i
    I'm considering getting a $3 ebay one... awd will be nice (and fun) in the winter, and truthfully the slushbox isnt the worst one I've driven before. the front has 2 brand new 16" all season and the rears are like 3/4 or 1/2, depending on which side you're looking at. I have 2 17" winters I might throw on the front, and put the new all seasons in the back... but then I'm 17 front 16 rear which would look a biiiit funky.

My Cars
    '07 335I 6MT, '01 330i
    Well... I've got an issue. I got a tow vehicle, a super super low priced 2010 X5 35d. Now I've got too many, so I think I'm going to sell my 335, and the wagon. I might swap the motor in the wagon and try to get over 2k for it running, and hopefully I can get 8k+ for the 335. That leaves the x5d as my daily (I drive 100+ miles a day on my commute, but this beast gets 28+ mpg!) and the 330i on drift duty for at least another year. I'll also be able to pick up a trailer, I'm thinking about an 18 foot open trailer once I sell both cars. The agon dream is still alive, but it just doesn't make sense for me to sit on it if I'm not going to swap it this year.

I'm looking forward to being able to tow my car to an event for the first time!

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    I wasn't aware the X5 had enough towing capacity to comfortably tow a car. Half my towing truck options I'm worried will be maxing out the truck every time I tow. Not good for wear and tear.

My Cars
    '07 335I 6MT, '01 330i
    it's got 6k capacity- 7700 in europe though. As long as I've got a good brake controller, I think it'll do fine. Sure, I'll be riding near capacity (estimating 5500 for car, trailer, wheels and tires and tools) but towing will probably be about 5% of the miles I put on it. I drove yesterday with just under 2k lbs unbraked, and as long as I kept in mind my stopping distances, it pulled it like barely anything was there. It certainly can pull it without issue, and I'm going to have to get a tongue scale to be able to weight the tongue perfectly. Maxing it out probably isn't great for the suspension, but for the relatively rare occasion that I'm actually towing the drift car, it'll do fine. People pull huge 6k lbs campers with it, and an open car trailer will be way less hectic than that!

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    True. There's a mountain I have to climb up to get to my closes race track. My 93 F250 IDI diesel would start off at 80mph at the bottom and get to the drop doing 35 and dropping. Always scared me. Swore I'd never tow again unless I could do that with the AC on.

My Cars
    '07 335I 6MT, '01 330i
    93 was still non turbo I believe, those things were tanks! But not powerful ones! I'd be curious what this truck could do in the mountains, but I won't really have to find out. I know of some hills that might work my motor, but with the power it has I'm not too concerned about it.

Officially decided to list my fun 335i and sit on it until the right amount of money comes my way. I'll be really sad to see it go, but I'd really love to get a trailer for the drift car.

My Cars
    '07 335I 6MT, '01 330i
    The wagon sold last week, I'm picking up the materials to finally make my shop space heatable today. Going to the stuff there, and then try to get the sheets hanging this weekend or early next week so I can start casually disassembling my car.

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    What you gonna use for heat? I have these two small space heaters that I pray on lol.

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    those dewalt propane cannons RIP if you're ventilated enough to use them and not die.

My Cars
    '07 335I 6MT, '01 330i
    I've got a half hangar, which is full height, so I'm going to have to get something strong. It'll be a forced air kerosene/diesel heater that I'll run on kerosene most likely. Maybe I'll try diesel but I think the good kerosene (white stuff) is way less smelly.

My Cars
    '07 335I 6MT, '01 330i
    Finally been making progress- About 3 weeks ago I sealed off the hanger as best as I could, and it's heatable. Gets warm enough that I need to take my jacket off, so that's all I needed.
    In terms of car progress- All my pics are deleted off my phone, but I post stuff on my instagram, @Beaten_daily . Basically, I got the whole front clip off the car for the first time, which required absolutely torching the crap out of all the bolts. Every single thing is rusted solid on this car. I started the rack the subframe lowering, and finally got it off yesterday. Today I'll be dropping the oil pan, putting the safety wired oil pump nut on, and getting the pan back on with the new gasket. Going to pick up a bunch of brake clean to clean the area for good sealing/ no dirt and stuff. Hopefully I'll blast the rack clean too, since it's crazy disgusting from all the coolant and oil I'm leaking.

After the oil pan + subframe is back on, I'll move back to the trans. Going to do new trans mounts (which are also original to the car, lol) and a Cliq Tuning chassis mounted short shifter with a UUC DSSR. Hoping to get rid of a lot of the slop in the shfiting, becasue I'm sick of throwing the shifter to slam third mid slid, and freaking missing because my shifter is like tossing a hotdog down a hallway./ I did the trans pins a year and a half ago, so it SHOULD be tightened up still inside the trans. Hoping it'll be way better with this setup.

Then, it's time to go on top of the motor, rebuilding the vanos, and taking the intake manifold off to find what the heck is leaking coolant under there. I've seen on diagrams that's coolant hoses under there that leak, so I'm assuming I'll just replace all of teh coolant lines under the manifold. While that stuff is all off, maybe I'll do the oil filter housing if it's leaking, because while everything's apart I might as well. My car leaks so much coolant that it's hard to tell what else is leaking, because the entire thing is covered in grime.

My Cars
    '07 335I 6MT, '01 330i
    gOT THE OIL PAN OFF, WAS A TWO DAY AFFAIR BECAUSE i GOT FED UP THAT THE POWER STEERING PUMP AD TO COME OFF AND IT WAS A PAIN TO REACH THE BOLTS.

Yikes, caps lock. Anyway, got the pan off, and had planned on doing the oil pump nut, and getting the pan back on yesterday, but I forgot the drilled oil pump nut at home. So i switched over to other things, put everything on my new subframe, cleaned up the rack, and put motor mounts and the new steering coupler on. Today I'm going to do my best to get the oil pan back on, and I think I'm going to lower the motor a few inches from the top, and unhook the trans to lower it down. Maybe rest it on a jackstand and give me space to work on the shifter (hopefully tomorrow)

In other news, my X5d just passed 210k miles, and runs goes like a tank still. I'm going to get it deleted and tuned soon. My 335i just got a very promising inquiry too, so I'm hoping it sells in about a week when they buyer arranged to come check it out. That's drifting and trailer money!

My Cars
    LS E46
    You really should posts some pics of this stuff.

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    I'm with him.

My Cars
    '07 335I 6MT, '01 330i
    Any reason to take a break from a few minutes of work..... Give me a sec

My Cars
    '07 335I 6MT, '01 330i

My Cars
    '07 335I 6MT, '01 330i

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    Looks like a good excuse to clean things up. Man pulling the oil pan looks so much easier with the subframe out. Too bad pulling the subframe is a PITA

My Cars
    '07 335I 6MT, '01 330i
    Oil pan is actually back on now. The oil pump nut was still torqued exactly to spec, but I had a drilled one so I put it on, and safety wired it. The pan was super clean, the shield above it (to keep oil from foaming, I assume?) looked a little grimy, but no real sludge to be seen anywhere, only the baked on reddish crap, and not much of it above the pan shown in the pics. Everything's torqued to spec, and I just have to put the power steering pump back on the motor to finish up the bottom of the motor goals for the off season. Today I hope to start on the shifter, get that trans lower, and give myself some space to work with. Probably going to blast the trans with some cleaner so that I'm minimizing the grime that gets on me... Yesterday was a dirty day. I cut my finger on my knife which had flipped itself open while in my pocket, which actually didn't close up for 4 days, I was starting to get worried. Today it's closed up, which give me a little relief. Cut myself on the serrated part of my knife and it was a nasty jagged cut. Every day the most time I can commit to the car is 2-2.5 hours, since my shop is 35 minutes from home, and I commute an hour to/ from work in the exact opposite direction. Hence the crazy mileage getting put on my X5!

- - - Updated - - -

You thought the subframe was a pain? Honestly, it came out easier than I expected it to, and lining up the steering rack will even be easy because I took the steering joint off with the rack. I pulled my control arms off first to hopefully scratch them up less. Still have to figure out how to get the tops of the motor mounts off the engine mount arms, I might have to go buy a huge vice grip that can grip the metal disc that's the top of the old ones.

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    Shoulda probably gotten stitches or at least glued it back together lol. I've done that a few times. Stitches in your fingers HURTS like a mofo.

My Cars
    '07 335I 6MT, '01 330i
    Well, I got pan back on, and did tons of other stuff. The shifter is installed, but I can't actually get the throws that short, because the shifter will hit the driveshaft. There's still some play in it, but it's nowhere as bad. some side to side play, which seems to be entirely a result of the 5th gear detent pins, since the shifter doesnt reallt want to return to center from the nuetral below 5th all the time. Other than that, it feels pretty darn good. New motor and trans mounts are on, as is the DSSR for the shifter. I have everything nice and tight but I've heard the shifter throw adjustment nut likes to loosen up sometimes, so I might end up using a drop of blue locktite on it. We'll see.

I'm heading there today to finish taking the intake manifold off, and hopefully diagnosing all my leaks to be the 3 coolant hoses under there. I have replacements for them all, so I hope that's all it is.

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast