Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Betty the Beater- Just a beginner drift thread

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    Just dent the drive shaft in a little to make space for the shifter lol.

What I did was to hard mount the shifter to the center console metal to eliminate the carrier arm all together. Unless that's the style you already have. In which case, I'm surprised you hit the drive shaft. I'd love someone to do a writeup on the detents. I'd like to know how it's done. And I'm lazy to google.

Status: Someone put glitter in my oil. Wait. Why's all my oil outside the engine? What's that knocking?

My Cars
    LS E46
    The M3 selector rod has a kink in it to go up over the giubo, may need to put a kink in yours.

My Cars
    '07 335I 6MT, '01 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by protomor View Post
    Just dent the drive shaft in a little to make space for the shifter lol.

What I did was to hard mount the shifter to the center console metal to eliminate the carrier arm all together. Unless that's the style you already have. In which case, I'm surprised you hit the drive shaft. I'd love someone to do a writeup on the detents. I'd like to know how it's done. And I'm lazy to google.
    Mine's a chassis mount shifter, so yea, I've got that style already. Just the shifter, DSSR, and the trans. In theory, if I wanted to, I guess I could figure out how to space it up a little farther, but I want it to be pretty secure, so I'd rather keep it how it was designed.

I did the detents when I had the trans out teh first time. "Did" them- meaning my reverse side detent is now perfect and feels like new, but I botched the 5th gear one and it's still pretty much non existent. It's a bit better than it was, but still has tons of slop on that side. I'm not totally sure where I went wrong, as I followed instructions to a T. There are instructions on the web on how to di it,pretty decent DIY's if I remember right.

Quote Originally Posted by Liquidity View Post
    The M3 selector rod has a kink in it to go up over the giubo, may need to put a kink in yours.
    Nope- the 330i 5 speed has a straight dssr- Mine clears the guibo just fine. My issue is that if I adjust it to be much shorter, it will contact the driveshaft.

See vid for just about the shortest throw I can get- https://youtu.be/LmIgfd2xwXk
    Last edited by awp235; 03-06-2019 at 08:18 AM.
    Keep it simple: half gutted '01 330i, welded diff, BC coils, SLR Super kit

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    Eh, that looks pretty good to me lol.

Status: Someone put glitter in my oil. Wait. Why's all my oil outside the engine? What's that knocking?

My Cars
    '07 335I 6MT, '01 330i
    Yea feels alright to me too! Would've wanted it a hair shorter, but I'll survive.

My Cars
    LS E46
    Why do you think it needs to be that short of a throw in the first place? How much experience do you have trying to snatch 3rd gear mid-drift? Because I’ll tell you right now, having a civic ricer-esque short throw does not make things easier. In fact, it makes it much more difficult.

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    My T56 is so notchy I miss shifts more often than I would like.

My Cars
    LS E46
    I lengthened the shifter handle 2” on my 420G to give me more control, I’m sure I’ll be needing to do the same on my t56 when I get it all in. Short shifters are a ricer mod.

My Cars
    E36 M3, jzxE28
    AKG shifter here, I think my selector rod rubs on the guibo or something in a part of the rotation, super annoying. The shifts are too notchy and tight, I miss 3rd far too often.
    instagram @andyitslit

My Cars
    '07 335I 6MT, '01 330i
    Why do you think it needs to be that short of a throw in the first place? How much experience do you have trying to snatch 3rd gear mid-drift? Because I’ll tell you right now, having a civic ricer-esque short throw does not make things easier. In fact, it makes it much more difficult.

Liquidity, always making unpleasant assumptions.
    I said I’d like it a hair shorter, mostly because my knuckles touch the dash in 5th. Did I say I wanted it crazy short? Anywhere?

Nope.

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    lol I run like a 12" shifter on my T56 and the heaviest ball I could find for sale

My Cars
    '07 335I 6MT, '01 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by Novablue454 View Post
    lol I run like a 12" shifter on my T56 and the heaviest ball I could find for sale
    I always liked the feel of a super heavy shifter knob. I’m goign to see how I like the cliq tuning long knob and decide what to do from there.

I got my intake manifold off, and replaced all the coolant hoses under there. What a damn bear of a time, the pipes all were so sealed into the motor ports that the plastic parts that were inside the motor didn’t come out with the pipes. Had to use a good dental pick to scrape at it until it broke apart and I was able to get it out. Mostly sure I didn’t get anything into the motor..

Currently at a shop waiting for my Diesel X5 to be done getting deleted and tuned. For $300 in labor that they’re charging me, SO worth it to have someone else do it. The DPF is huge, and you have to lower the subframe and let the motor down some to get it out. Going to sound mean though, some nice turbo noises, while not droning or really sounding different at all from the inside. Can’t wait to reap the mpg!

Driving total 6.5 hours today, and then tomorrow I’m driving to Virginia to buy my trailer. It’s a good deal on a good trailer, so it’ll be worth it. Going to be a long day in the car, I’m guessing I’ll be on the road for around 13-14 hours.

My Cars
    '07 335I 6MT, '01 330i
    So- I slacked on pictures!

The delete on my diesel went great, x5 makes great power now. Then I picked up my new (to me) trailer, which I'm crazy happy about. 2017 Big Tex 18', last 2 ft are dovetailed. Need to pick up a spare for it, but otherwise it's 100% ready to roll. Brakes work great on it too! I probably could of gotten away with a 14', and definitely could've rocked a 16' with no issues, but honestly I really wanted the extra space to balance the trailer exactly how I needed to, and put a row (or two) of spares at the front, while still being able to balance everything out. Also, if I ever want to tow anything at all, I can pretty much fit any vehicle besides a full cab/long bed truck on there. Both fenders are removable too, and the tires are evenly worn with tons of tread left.
    Trailer is twin 3500# axles, both have electric brakes. My X5 is limited to 600# of tongue weight, so I'll need to get a scale and be a LITTLE mindful of that parameter. Other than the tongue weight restriction, I see no issues coming from towing with the X5. Deleted it puts down around 360hp, and 500 ftlbs of torque, and the trans is more than up to the task with a big old cooler. First time I have a car behind it I'll be monitoring temperatures, but I'm not too worried about it. I'm running a Prodigy RF brake controller, which is sweet.
    trailer.JPG
    I also installed a unichip-tech box to my x5 so that I have carplay on my native idrive screen, which works wonderfully and makes flowing directions and long distance driving all that much easier without holding my damn phone in my hand, because I hate looking down at it. Very worth $400 to bring my X5 into that modern realm, now it's comfortable and very convenient.
    idrive.JPG

On to the intake manifold work- You can see that I've clearly been pissing coolant for ages, from the grim that was under the manifold. I'll take a "cleaned" picture when I get to the shop today, but I took a dental pic and scraped over half an inch of compacted sludge/ grime from the block down there.
    under intake.JPG

Adding to the pain in the ass that is this intake manifold, is the freaking fuel rail. I can't get it off, because the push-in separator plastic piece that separates the quick- disconnect fuel line broke. I hope I never have to take it fully off, because I'm not sure how in the hell it'll ever come off. So for now, it gets pushed aside and I try to be as gentle as I can with it.
    mess.JPG

I did also get a taylor battery box, and will be putting it in the car today probably. Going to grab a braille battery because a local speed shop has a good price on them. Also going to grab a real bucket for the drivers seat.
    Last edited by awp235; 03-20-2019 at 09:04 AM.

My Cars
    '07 335I 6MT, '01 330i
    Yesterday as the shop, I mostly helped my buddy in putting his carbs back on his intruder. Seems like he'll give me a hand today getting the intake back on though!

Yesterday I also started freeing up the wiring for the battery relocation. Seems to be two main positives going to the front, one out of the harness on it's own, and one wrapped up with the harness. The one on it's own was easy enough, but I guess I'm just going to rewrap the harness together after getting the other positive cable out. There was a connector wiht a blue and brown (I think) wire, twisted togetehr, and I just snipped that one and then pulled the twised wires out of the harness. I'll reattach the wires together, after shortening them a bit.

I don't think I have the ability to recrimp a new connector onto the end of the big cables, so I'm not going to shorten them for now.

As for the ground- What should I be using as a grounding point? I really just need any bolt into the unibody, right? Maybe I'll use the back fastener to the armrest, since it'll be nice and close to there anyway.

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    Quote Originally Posted by awp235 View Post
    As for the ground- What should I be using as a grounding point? I really just need any bolt into the unibody, right? Maybe I'll use the back fastener to the armrest, since it'll be nice and close to there anyway.
    Basically yes, as long as the bolt is big enough. I wouldn't use a like a M6 bolt. The bigger / cleaner the better

My Cars
    '07 335I 6MT, '01 330i
    Basically yes, as long as the bolt is big enough. I wouldn't use a like a M6 bolt. The bigger / cleaner the better
    It's actually a pretty fat bolt, I think It'll work in this case. May'be I'll give the area a quick flap disk loving so it makes clean contact on the sheet metal, too. Thanks!

My Cars
    '07 335I 6MT, '01 330i
    I suck at remembering to take photos.... Intake manifold is back on! Along with the throttle body, and everything seems to be plugged in so far. I have to put the DISA back in, and connect 2 more connectors before doing the intake tubing.
    Today I'm hoping to wrap up the engine bay, and then between today and tomorrow I'm hoping to get the battery all done. Then I guess I put some coolant in it and try to start it up!

I'm buying a seat today I think, along with mounts. It's very overdue. I'm thinking an OMP WRC, I think it's called, it was pretty darn comfortable the last time I was in one. Either that or a Sparco Evo 2. My driver recliner's mech is broken on one side and has an unnerving amount of play in it.

My Cars
    98 328is
    we have a newer turbo'd civic si at the shop currently. it has one of those ridiculously short throw shifters. i freaking hate it. everytime i have to move the car i cant find reverse, and when i go put it in gear i cant tell if im in gear or in nuetral or in some random gear because i unknowingly moved my hand .00000000000003" to the left. 1st-nuetral-2nd is a matter of like 3 inches.

My Cars
    '07 335I 6MT, '01 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by RandomHero27 View Post
    we have a newer turbo'd civic si at the shop currently. it has one of those ridiculously short throw shifters. i freaking hate it. everytime i have to move the car i cant find reverse, and when i go put it in gear i cant tell if im in gear or in nuetral or in some random gear because i unknowingly moved my hand .00000000000003" to the left. 1st-nuetral-2nd is a matter of like 3 inches.
    I mean, my car's got enough throw that my knuckles tap the dash in 5th, so I wanted it to be a hair shorter, but don't have more space without hitting the driveshaft. I did learn to drive stick on an '05 Acura TL, which had CRAZY short throws. Gearbox felt awesome but it was probably around a 3" throw. Stock like that from the factory, too. When I drove my 335i for the first time I was like WOAHHH SO LONG AND ELEGANT!

My Cars
    '07 335I 6MT, '01 330i
    Ok, so this weekend I didn't have MUCH time to work on the car. BUT- I did buy an OMP WRC-R seat, which I find extremely comfortable, and a braille 11.5 lbs AGM battery. Got the wiring done for the relocation, it's not pretty, but it'll work for now. I found out the taylor box I bought was too big to put behind the passenger seat, so I ordered the smaller one and am going to try to return the one I got. Then, I got to the exciting part of the weekend- I started the car for the first time in at least 4 months! I know it's no engine swap, or any big build like that, but after doing so many little things, and having so much apart, it felt really good to hear it turning over. It started up REALLY rough, like an old diesel truck starting for the first time in -20 degress, but it stumbled to life eventually. Seems to have a slight misfire at idle now, but revs up super smoothly. I didn't have the accessory belt on, so no water pump, or alternator. I had forgotten my torx bits at home, so I couldnt put the belt over the tensioner. The Braille started the car with absolutely no issue.

Video of it's 3rd start!- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZmzmzDYKIs

Today I'm super antsy at work, because I can't wait to get to my shop and get the coolant bled out. Going to burp the coolant, and the power steering, and then throw the wheels back on it and get it moving under it's own power again!

I figure I'll leave the front end off for now, as it's easier to check for leaks with all that junk out of the way. From the short amount of time it was running, I got some leakage from the oil filter cap, so I'll replace the seals on that with the first oil change. I run 15w50 Motul for drifting to prevent ticking, but have 5w30 liquimoly in there to check for leaks. The oil pan seal looked completely dry at least!

My Cars
    '07 335I 6MT, '01 330i
    Big news! (In my head)

She runs, and SHE DRIVES!
    mess bleed.JPG

Bled it out, at first with a coke bottle that ended up melting, which I realized just in time I guess. I'm an idiot. Made a huge freaking mess.

Splurged and bought a very expensive (but flawlewssly working) no spill bleeding system at advanced, a mile down the street. Paid for the convenience of not waiting two days from prime...
    actual bleeder.JPG

So, I now see the light. I can't believe I've owned 4 bmws, and never had one of these damn things. It's great!

Also.... On my first rip in first gear, I didn't even make it through first. My Accessory belt (which was on it's last legs all last season) immediately blew to smithereens. Learned how lovely an angle kit is without power steering (never again). I'll get 2 and keep one in the spares kit that I'm going to make up and bring to events. Axles and belts so far!

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    the big coolant funnels are great, but just wait until you use a vac bleeder, your life will be forever changed!

My Cars
    '07 335I 6MT, '01 330i
    the big coolant funnels are great, but just wait until you use a vac bleeder, your life will be forever changed!
    Vac bleeder for coolant? All this crap I've never even heard of!

Somehow, I did all 3 of the coolant hoses under the intake manifold and STILL HAVE A COOLANT LEAK! GAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!! A friend suggested I get a system pressurizer and then listen around for the hisses, to find the leak. I also have quite an oil leak, I believe from the oil filter housing gasket. I suppose I knew this was coming, but I'm thinking I'll do that job this weekend after towing the car to it's alignment. The oil doesn't bother me nearly as much as the coolant does, because that's the one thing I was really hoping to solve! If it's not the 2 hard lines connected to the block, and it's not any of the radiator lines or the expansion tank-> hard line under the air intake, how the hell is there coolant dripping down my block?! Seems to be coming from about the drivers side engine mount arm.

Also- My damn shifter grinds my driveshaft when full throttle in second. DAMN IT! I'm going to play with the length, and hope I can get it a bit higher. I think it was probably loosening on me from the engine vibrations and went down a bit. Maybe I'll use some blue lock tite on it when I know it's high enough. Otherwise, I suppose I'll be ordering some solid trans mounts. Currently have fresh stock rubber ones, because some of you guys said you run chassis mounted shifters with them.
    Last edited by awp235; 03-27-2019 at 07:57 AM.

My Cars
    1996 BMW 328i Sedan
    I rebuilt a 1999 323i a few years ago.

I ended up replacing the plastic (yes, thanks BMW) hardline. It crumbled where it goes into the back of the timing cover/water pump. The o rings were shot and it basically came apart in my hands when I pulled it out-lots of crusty coolant and who knows what else in the area.

So I bought a new one and no leaks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    e36 325ic
    Yeah I used a vacuum bleeder when I finished my swap and it made life so easy, we had it all done in like 10 minutes.

As for the shifter, mine came loose too (apparently this is common with the cliq shifter), I was able to spin the handle before and now that I tightened it again and put loctite on it I can't do that anymore. Also, even setting mine literally as short as it can go, I still feel like the shifts are slightly too long but wayyyy better than stock

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast