Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 20-Eleven Build Thread. From Street Car to Event Winner in 58 days

My Cars
    E36, E46, E53, GTV

20-Eleven Build Thread. From Street Car to Event Winner in 58 days

Hey guys. First off I am sorry for being late on this and not reply to many posts over the past 9 weeks. Other then a few breaks when the car went to paint or when Technica Motorsports was putting the motor together and in the car I was way over my head in building this car.

I am trying to keep this simple and show the main ingredients of the car build. I also probably should have done a better job documenting it, but time was the big issue here.

Lets keep this thread pertaining to the car only, and not the events its driven at or any of that stuff. Thanks!

Here is the car when we picked it up, All $300 worth of her! Its a 1994 325i Sedan loaded with heated and power everything.

We rolled the car into the shop and began the gnarly tear down. This car starts its new life at 144k miles. My coupe started its life at a much later 197K.

As we were removing the unneeded parts, we came across an airbag. I think everyone on here knows what needed to happen…

http://s66.photobucket.com/albums/h2...t=IMG_0796.mp4

Further interior removal

During a lunch break pulled this stuck car out. We saved a car full of kids lives…

Dry icing the sound deadening out. This was an entire day of madness, this car was nasty!

What didn't come out with the dry ice had to be wire wheeled out with an angle grinder. This was painful… hot molten sound deadening flying all over the place.
    I thought I was ready for action, still got owned by the crap flying everywhere

325i Motor is OUT! No more 170hp hoopdee!

Jimmy is a little rusty at removing exhausts…

We removed the entire engine and chassis harness as well. Weighed over 100lbs! I think we later got it down to about 15lbs and 13lbs of it is factory engine harness. Sorry, no Pic of that yet.

We also took a grinder to all of the seam sealer and stitch welded most of the seams with the mig welder.

Here is my X5 with all of the argon needed for fabrication on this car! Talk about needing 3 of the big ones, and needing them by tonight! X5 is going to lose a floor pan and manifold!

Here are the boxes we build for the man hoop to sit on. Collin from Toxic fabrication getting some juicy welds on.

Bending the main hoop. We still use the cardboard style because its fast and effective!

Main hoop fits tightly into the car

Tig welding in the rear down bar mounting plates.

Rear down bars in place. The are notched and ready to be welded.

Diagonal Bar and Harness bar welded in.

Juicy!

Last edited by ienjoydrifting; 03-20-2011 at 01:29 AM.

www.ienjoydrifting.com
    2001 BMW 3 Series Sedan - 700hp/700tq M52 Drift car.

My Cars
    E36, E46, E53, GTV
    Front down bar fitment. I love working with 1.5 dom. Fits like a glove. No BS gussets. I like function, This car will not even look caged from the rear door forward.

We also took the time to fit the lower door bars into the door seam and weld them as one.

Before

After

Fitting the driver side nascar door bars

Quickly taking our time for a great finished product.

Just so that you know everything but the floor plates were tig welded 360 degrees. I am working the foot pedal while Collin of ToxicFab.com has the torch.

Primered up and ready to go to paint.

Just before paint we had to set the body up for the Level7TUNE flares. So out BC Racing Double Adjustable Coilovers went on. Fancy external reservoir dampers will really allow me to dial in the grip at each track.

Car is rolling again!

Modifying the rear quarter fenders for my flares and allowing suspension travel to happen!

Tacked up the seam for strength. We did not do this on the last car. That led to bent rear 1/4's extremely easy.

We quickly fitted some of the body parts and sent the car to paint! At this time we went dark on Facebook and other media outlets. No one would know the color or any details on the build. This is what went down during the last 30 days of my cars build.

6 days after dropping the car off, we got a call from the paint shop. It was ready! I wish it would have been a sunny day, but you get the idea…

I spent all night getting the body stuff put back together and loading the car onto the trailer with all of the necessary parts needed to make the car run. After another 20 hour day. We were ready to head to Technica Motorsports in Atlanta for the driveline build.

Arrival picture! Finally some sun!

I gave Bret and Jordan 2 weeks to completely redo the driveline and install all of the rear subframe goodies… I am sure they wanted to kill me when I said "thats what sponsors are for right?" lol.

www.ienjoydrifting.com

My Cars
    E36, E46, E53, GTV
    Here are some pictures of the motor during the build last year.

While they were building the car I took a much needed vacation. Went to FL and spent some time with the girlfriend, checked out the Daytona 500, the local Orlando drift scene, and went to south florida to visit some old drift buddies. I don't think the guys as Technica can say the same.

2 weeks flew by and it was back to work on the car. I drove back up to Technica Motorsports and met with Bret as we went over the new build. I knew we were now on the same page with the build and how is was starting to take a toll on our lives lol. I then jumped in the car and fired her up for the first time. Of course it fired instantly and idled perfectly. The purple power was alive and well! I backed it out of the bay and immediately noticed its lightweightness. I am not kidding, it was unbelievably noticeable. Drove her down the street a little and BOOOOMMM! The hood flew up and smashed the windshield! We forgot to secure it!!! Of course I feel like an idiot because I have seen this happen many times before and always thought, hah "I am so glad I always check my hood pins!" DOH! We then loaded it on to the trailer as quickly as possible. We were really in a hurry now because the car needed to be done in a WEEK for my unveiling party and it was running, but no where close.

On the way home my wheel bearing decided to say "peace out" on me. Of course it was sunday and nothing was open to repair it. But the show had to go on, so I rugged up a BC coilover spring perch as a suspension limiter on the equalizer and with the help of a few straps we were ready to limp it another 500 miles home. It turns out I was able to make it!

That Monday we got into the shop early and started getting to some more exciting work. I also called the window guy and had him rush an order for tuesday. Here is our new steering wheel setup.

And out broken windshield that we worked so hard not to damage while building the car and cage, only to break it on the first 300 ft of the cars life

We also finished up our new level7TUNE E36 Flares. Fitment is beautiful. We then sent them right to paint.

Before paint we were unsure if we were going to build new front fenders or utilize our level7TUNE fronts. As a last minute decision I decided to do the flares for a old school JDM touch. Out with the cut off wheel on that fresh paint! I put Collin on the driver side.

They Looked kind of wonky in white. But man do they look awesome later

We also installed some more sweet circle track parts! Purple SFI rated harnesses for our Sparco Circuit Hans seat.

These braze wheels are just temporary and are spaced to correct fitment.

Fresh new windshield!

Awesome Ricey taillights set the mood

It honestly took an entire day to do these lexan windows. I am really happy how they turned out. Aluminum rivets and all! We may take them out and add a black trim around the edges to make it look more racey but over all we were able to do the whole car with ONE 4x8 sheet so I am super happy!

Flares painted and reinstalled after paint. 1 day turnaround at a paint shop! I had to flirt a little for that!

www.ienjoydrifting.com

My Cars
    E36, E46, E53, GTV
    More below
    Last edited by ienjoydrifting; 03-20-2011 at 01:15 AM.

www.ienjoydrifting.com

My Cars
    E36, E46, E53, GTV
    Here is the part I am sure you guys really want to see, The steering angle. We were able to achieve 61 degrees with a 17x9 +0 wrapped in a 245-40-17. The angle is insane. Everything posted here is included in our kits. I did however make a mistake on the mill with our stainless sleeve inner diameter for the FCAB. In a rush to have the car ready for the event in 6 hours, I remade a mild steel one at the last moment. Normally there is no modification to the arm, But since I was not able to head back to our mill, we had to modify the arm a little bit in a jam. You get the idea tho. These are exactly like the early 99 arms, just with a different inner ball joint.

Then we moved on to the little final touches. We added some sparco latches to hold the trunk and front bumper on, as well as a new flex-a-lite black magic 3500 cfm fan for our Level7TUNE radiator setup.

It all turned out very well. Definitely one of the lighter e36 turbo sedans? lol. Here is a picture of the scales before we corner balanced it and added a few lbs of ballast.

Alignment rack while practice is going on at the track lol.

MOD LISTS

Drivetrain

Motor
    -Technica Motorsports built S52
    -JE Pistons
    -Stock Rods and Bolts
    -ARP 2000 Head Studs
    -Cometic .70 Head Gasket

Turbo System
    -Precision 6262 Ball Bearing Billet Wheel Turbo. T3 .63 a/r exhaust housing
    -Precision 46mm compact wastegate
    -SPA Turbo Manifold
    -Technica Motorsports Factory ECU Tuning
    -Technica Motorsports Blow-Through MAF
    -Technica Motorsports Injectors
    -Technica Motorsports Oil Feed adaptor
    -Walbro Fuel Pump
    -S-Max Performance 22x12x3.5 mid mounted Intercooler
    -Secret Services Auto custom 3 inch aluminum intercooler piping
    -Secret Services Auto custom 3 inch aluminum Exhaust
    -Secret Services Auto aluminum coolant expansion tank and coolant catch can
    -NonStopTuning Alternator and Aux pulley system
    -Toxic Fabrication oil catch can with -10an lines.
    -Level7TUNE aluminum radiator

Chassis, Suspension, and Brakes
    -Toxic Fabrication stitch welding and reinforcement.
    -Toxic Fabrication roll cage
    -BC Racing ER-Type Double Adjustable External Reservoir Coilover System
    -UUC rear camber arms
    -UUC rear trailing arm bushings
    -VAC Engine Mounts
    -Technica Motorsports chassis harness and fuse box
    -Technica Motorsports rear subframe bushings
    -Stock M3 brake calipers with brass guides and Technica Motorsports Stainless lines
    -Level7TUNE Drift Spec Ebrake pads
    -Brembo drilled and slotted rotors
    -Secret Services Auto bash bar

Interior
    -Sparco Circuit Pro Hans (Driver)
    -Cobra Suzuka Pro Kevlar (Passenger)
    -Safety Racing sfi belts. Purple and black
    -Secret Services Auto ultra low seat brackets
    -Level7TUNE Ebrake handle
    -Circle track 14" aluminum steering wheel
    -Speedway quick release and splined steering shaft
    -Autometer water temp, K's 60mm boost, AEM UEGO wideband
    -Technica Motorsports Modified dash
    -Level7TUNE Battery Box

Exterior
    -GM Plum Crazy Purple on every inch inside and out. (Sponsored by Nevrslo)
    -OEM M3 sideskirts as well as front and rear bumpers.
    -China Special r-iced out taillights
    -Level7TUNE big BRO flares front and rear
    -Nevrslo carbon roundels
    -Long acre power cut off switch
    -Sideways Vinyl
    -Level7TUNE lexan windows

Steering, Rollers, Tires

-Level7TUNE SMAK (super mad angle kit)
    -Level7TUNE steering knuckles
    -Level7TUNE front lower control arms
    -Level7TUNE delrin front control arm bushings
    -Level7TUNE tie rods
    -Enkei RPF1 17x9 +18 Front and 18x10.5 +15 rear (18mm adaptors all around)
    -Nexen N9000 245-40-17 front and 275-35-18 rear

Id like to thank everyone who had hands in the build, Mike at Nexen Tires hooked me up with a truck load of their fresh tires, Bret and Jordan at Technica Motorsports built an awesome motor tuned like factory, Josh at Nevrslo supplied a clean shop to work on and a ballin paint job, Collin at ToxicFab.com designed and fabricated the cleanest e36 cage, Mike from NonStopTuning supplied the venue for my premiere and helped fund the build, The Right Step for their Texas drifting support, BC Racing Suspension for a set of killer dampers and awesome support, Aaron and Jimmy for getting their hands dirty, Ashley from Sideways Vinyl, as well as the Awesomeshop owners Mike Peters and Dereck Rodgers for helping out before Irwindale, Wade for helping put the final touches on my car during his vacation, and anyone else who got their hands involved!

Some great shots from our unveiling party.

Few Action Shots

Videos of the unveiling and event the following day

[ame]http://vimeo.com/21002517[/ame]

[ame]http://vimeo.com/21057688[/ame]

update
    [ame]http://vimeo.com/20962505[/ame]

Irwindale qualifying lap with wall tap on inner bank

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlmkzfehKT4[/ame]

Proof that the car was worth it
    Last edited by ienjoydrifting; 03-21-2011 at 08:57 PM.

www.ienjoydrifting.com

My Cars
    2002 BMW Streetcarver,
    . Awesome build. Technica motorsports FTW

My Cars
    2JZ FD3S, 2JZ M3, 95 M3
    This is Awesome Chelsea, congrats bro!
    -Andrew Mensah

SLR is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '08 E46, E36,
    To be scrubbing the wall at that angle you are gettin serous sideways...

I wonder who else will catch this quote:

Talk about needing 3 of the big ones, and needing them by tonight! X5 is going to lose a floor pan and manifold!
    I still remember the day you asked to drive my car.... look what it started...

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    they misspelled your last name on the check

Status: Someone put glitter in my oil. Wait. Why's all my oil outside the engine? What's that knocking?

My Cars
    LS3 e46 m3, '76 2002
    The car looks great, congrats on the XDC win!
    -Mike

My Cars
    E36, E46, E53, GTV
    Quote Originally Posted by protomor View Post
    they misspelled your last name on the check
    Its correct. DeNofa

Quote Originally Posted by PTGM3 View Post
    To be scrubbing the wall at that angle you are gettin serous sideways...

I wonder who else will catch this quote:

I still remember the day you asked to drive my car.... look what it started...

Yea, I had enough angle to nick the factory tow hook on the other side too.

You should have never let me drive that car! But you did, so thank you!
    Last edited by ienjoydrifting; 03-20-2011 at 11:58 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

www.ienjoydrifting.com

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    ah. Thought it said "Denfa"

Status: Someone put glitter in my oil. Wait. Why's all my oil outside the engine? What's that knocking?

My Cars
    e34 528i/5
    Those welds are sooo puuurrrrdyyyyy. Another awesome car for this year.

My Cars
    07 335i 6mt,M3 drifter
    great build!! congrats bro hope to drift with ya one day

My Cars
    95 325is.
    what more can i said this thing is awesome, i hope to see you in FD competing with the big dogs and winning!, keep it sideways.

i like how the car look with these rims do.

My Cars
    Two, Two BMW's hahaha
    That colour is awesome. What are those silver rods going from the tail light to the trunk lid?

My Cars
    97 328is, 86 944 turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by bebout View Post
    Those welds are sooo puuurrrrdyyyyy. Another awesome car for this year.
    +1 This guy knows how to tig weld.

Very nice build up man ! I'm jealous.

My Cars
    Dicktone Limo
    awesome man, 2500lbs is s13 weight! nutty.

could you show off/give some ideas ont he bash bar you run? would be much appreciated. Im sick of breaking rad ducting/denting the rad on cones

My Cars
    97 328is, 86 944 turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by billyfiction View Post
    That colour is awesome. What are those silver rods going from the tail light to the trunk lid?
    trunk pins...

My Cars
    96 M3
    nice build & win!!

My Cars
    1993 bmw 325i
    awesome car Chelsea, glad to see you out there shredding tires, hope you come to CFRC again!!!

My Cars
    95 M3, 96 Ram, 88 Supra
    Bro those welds gave me a boner. this car is really lighter then ur coupe huh?
    1995 BMW M3

My Cars
    E36, E46, E53, GTV
    240lbs lighter then the coupe.

I can't take all the credit for the welds, Collin at toxicfab.com was doing his usual on a lot of the car.

www.ienjoydrifting.com

My Cars
    2JZ FD3S, 2JZ M3, 95 M3
    was the coupe this extensively prepped? or did you do more that netted you that 240lb, and is the 240lb realllly worth it?
    -Andrew Mensah

My Cars
    E36, E46, E53, GTV
    240lbs is nearly 10%. It was wayyyyy more then worth it!! Car is sooooo much faster.

The couple was no where near this prepped.

Added another video

[ame]http://vimeo.com/20962505[/ame]

www.ienjoydrifting.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast