Thread: Stumped - High pitched metal on metal sound from rear wheel

My Cars
    Z3 2.5i Roadster (2001)

Stumped - High pitched metal on metal sound from rear wheel

Hey guys,
    Looking for ideas on what to check next...

I started to get a high pitch, metal on metal, pulsing sound from my rear drivers side wheel.

Pretty sure the issue isn't brake or rotor related as the noise stays the same when I apply the brakes and/or pull the parking brake...but to sure I have checked for stones, pulled the rotors off to check for anything that may be rubbing, "adjusted" the stone guards, backed off the parking brake pads so they don't touch at all. I even switched the pads from one side to the other and changed the wheels around.

I could swear it was a bearing but from everything I have read, the sound isn't right and I they don't feel bad when I spin them when it is jacked up.

Transmission and diff fluid is new, and not low.

I haven't been able to reproduce the sound in the garage - but I haven't had the balls to jack both wheels up and run the car either.

The only other thing I can think to add is that it is only between 20-45mph that the noise happens. Anything lower or higher and I either can't hear it or it goes away.

Any help/ideas would be greatly appreciated - I can't believe it, but I am actually at a point of taking it to a real mechanic!

2001 2.5i Z3 (AT...sorry )

My Cars
    '01 3.0 ZCoupe
    Check and see if the brake dust shield is rubbing.

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    If you do take it to a mechanic, make sure to use one that has a Chassis Ear listening device. The one I have has four (4) wireless microphone/transmitters, and they can be placed, for example, near each rear wheel (bearing/hub issues), the nose of the differential (pinion bearing) and on the differential case (output bearings).

Depending on the results of that first test drive, the pickups can be moved around to zero in on the source of the noise.

The advantage__to you__is that it takes A LOT less time to diagnose where/what/why you're getting the noise from.

My Cars
    Z3 2.5i Roadster (2001)
    Thanks, Randy. I'll make sure they have that listening device before I let them have at it.
    I'll also update when I find out what the issue is.

Thanks for the input guys!

2001 2.5i Z3 (AT...sorry )

My Cars
    2003 Z4 2.5i
    Any update? I'm having a similar problem.

My Cars
    1998 Z3M, 2006 330i
    One comment: if it is the pad-wear warning tabs, it will not stop just because you apply the brakes. I'd guess that you looked at the pads when you had them out, and are sure they are not too worn.

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    You wouldn't be able to tell if a rear wheel bearing was beginning to go out by spinning the wheel and feeling it. You probably wouldn't be able to tell which side was going out either when the noise first appears and is very sight, or only at certain speeds. You would always swear it is the driver's side because that is the side you are closer to, but a passenger will swear it's the passenger's side. If you let it go long enough, you will be able to tell which side it is by loading the bearing (turning) and listening to see if it goes away when you turn in one direction (at speed--like sudden land shifting), and gets louder when you turn in the other. If it does this, that confirms that it's a bearing, and whichever direction that you turn which makes the noise go away, it is the opposite bearing that is going out. Rear wheel bearings will start making a noise you really don't even hear, and then creep up on you slowly so that you don't really notice until it is undeniably louder than it should be. Then you will focus on it, trying to isolate the noise and diagnose it, and it will suddenly seem much louder to you on that account, but it really won't be. Eventually it will get louder, and occur in a greater range of speed. These can be maddening diagnoses and it is not uncommon to become convinced it is one side, only to have it turn out to be the other. Being as both bearings were put on the car at the same time, it is a good approach to simply replace them both once you have confirmed that it's a bearing.

My Cars
    98 Z3 2.8
    Jack up the rear of the car and get it going the correct speed... Maybe have a helping hand to pinpoint the noise. Shouldn't be that hard. Seems to me that it would have to be a backing plate issue, or something to do with a bearing or parking brake assembly.
    96 320i Touring
    98 Z3 2.8 Roadster
    01 PY M Coupe
    96 Z3 1.9 - DASC
    95 318ti Clubsport
    94 Miata M-Edition
    13 smart fortwo