Thread: Ignition Malfunction 535i

My Cars
    11 535, 04 530, 02 530

Post Ignition Malfunction 535i

I did search and didn't find anything specific to my issue.

Recently picked up a 11 535i m-sport. 92k miles Went from e39 to e60 and now f10.

I am having an intermittent issue with "ignition malfunction". 90% of the time the car starts up without any issues. There have been a few times where It won't start and I get an "ignition malfunction" warning. I will hear a click sound under the hood, then nothing.

The only two ways I have been able to get the car to start was by jump starting it (this was before I bought a new battery) and the other way is just waiting 5 minutes and it starts right up.

I have replaced the Battery and also the fuel pump (under the "recall").

I'm curious to see if anyone has had this issue resolved under warranty or fixed themselves.

Thank you for your help in advance.

-aKhan

Pelican Parts is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '02 E39 Touring
    Thanks for bringing this to our attention, I haven't heard of this before, but after a search around the forum; it seems that it has to do with a faulty fuel pump. Interesting that it happened on your 535, most of the issues seem to be with the 550.
    Your Trusted Source For DIY and Parts
    FREE SHIPPING over $99 click here
    BMW Parts | DIY Tech Articles | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube | Promos
    888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST

My Cars
    11 535, 04 530, 02 530
    I had the fuel pump replaced 3 weeks ago, could the replacement, itself, be faulty as well?

can you direct me to any threads that refer to this happening to the 550s?

Pelican Parts is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '02 E39 Touring
    Quote Originally Posted by akhan View Post
    I had the fuel pump replaced 3 weeks ago, could the replacement, itself, be faulty as well?

can you direct me to any threads that refer to this happening to the 550s?

It's possible, but I cannot confirm as this needs to be diagnosed. Link to the thread I came across: http://http://www.bimmerfest.com/for...d.php?t=646050 - there may be others, this was just a quick google search for "f10 ignition malfunction"
    Your Trusted Source For DIY and Parts
    FREE SHIPPING over $99 click here
    BMW Parts | DIY Tech Articles | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube | Promos
    888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST

My Cars
    2011 535i Premium Sport

You're not alone...

Quote Originally Posted by akhan View Post
    I did search and didn't find anything specific to my issue.

Recently picked up a 11 535i m-sport. 92k miles Went from e39 to e60 and now f10.

I am having an intermittent issue with "ignition malfunction". 90% of the time the car starts up without any issues. There have been a few times where It won't start and I get an "ignition malfunction" warning. I will hear a click sound under the hood, then nothing.

The only two ways I have been able to get the car to start was by jump starting it (this was before I bought a new battery) and the other way is just waiting 5 minutes and it starts right up.

I have replaced the Battery and also the fuel pump (under the "recall").

I'm curious to see if anyone has had this issue resolved under warranty or fixed themselves.

Thank you for your help in advance.

-aKhan

I have a 2011 535i (Premium Sport)

On April 21, 2017, I experienced the same issue. Everything in the car turned on as normal except for the engine. It made a 'click' and nothing else. I received the ignition malfunction error as well.
    I replaced the battery maybe a month prior to that and a Napa battery was installed. (Maybe NAPA is the problem. I've always had Bosch) Also, the old dying battery may have pulled on the starter for too long and maybe my starter is damaged?

My dad attempted to jump start, checked battery, no luck. I left the car alone as I had a flight to catch.
    I came home on 4/24 and started the car just to see and it started with NO hesitation as if nothing was ever wrong.

5/19/2017 ---- Here we go again... No one has seemed to have heard of my problem either.
    Last edited by Mademoiselle; 05-19-2017 at 12:36 PM. Reason: Reorganized post

My Cars
    E90, E46
    Sounds like a starter going...just a guess

My Cars
    11 535i
    Hi, I was wondering if you ever figured out the ignition malfunction issue? I experienced the same exact issues yesterday and today. Ignition Malfunction: Do not turn car off etc. Got it towed home and charged the battery but it still won't start or even crank. Any updates to your issues?

My Cars
    Bmw
    Yes I have a 2011 bmw 535i and I have all power to the windows and radio perfectly but the car will not start! My screen says Ignition malfunction and on my dash says Ignition switched on! This has happened 4 times now! The car will start when it wants! It's not my starter, alternator or battery! Nobody seems to know the issue smh

My Cars
    F10
    check this thread , the root cause was a faulty starter. Especially if your car is reaching 100k or higher mileage , earlier builds like 2011 F10s. Good luck.

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...-on-activation