Thread: To be replacing the Engine or Not to be that is the question

My Cars
    2004 330Ci

To be replacing the Engine or Not to be that is the question

Original owner of a garage kept 2004 330 Ci Conv, 160k miles, manual trans, premium and sport pkg. Body and interior are excellent ( put over $8k into new uph front seats and dig/dent removal in last 3 months). Engine is showing increasing signs of oil consumption common to M54 engine but compression is still pretty good (180 to 190 psi ) Don't claim to know much about mechanics just love the car. Long story made short - chasing down a high speed vibration (see post "Bad Vibrations") finally ended up back at dealer I trust. While having car checked out they also recommend clutch replacement and offed a reduced price install due to other work being done. They broke an ear piece on the engine block trying to remove a trans bolt (going to see car today for details) trying to get frozen bolt off. Given age of car they consider this a "known risk" of the job. They offered to weld it back on at reduced rate of $750. Only other option is to swap out engine for rebuild one. Car is a keeper and intended to hand it down to son who has helped keep "Baby" up after College in 2 more years. Presently gets less than 5k miles on it per year in use.

Questions:

Thoughts on weld?

If no go on weld, best place to look for a rebuild?

Assuming they do a good job on the swap, is the loss of the original engine a big deal on this type of car - as opposed to a limited run model?

With the Trans off, does any know what it should cost to have the syncros replaced, and can it be done w/o buying an entirely new rebuild? Shifting very knotchy and I know clutch replacement won't help that.

Thanks for the help

Rob

My Cars
    '73 E9, '94 E34, '02 E46
    Remember that you only authorized the work for other (clutch) reasons, on their recommendation. If the dealer states breakage "is a known risk" but took on the job without informing you beforehand, then they alone accepted the risk and should make it right, at no additional cost.

Whether to weld the broken bit depends first on whether it needs to be there (I'm not clear just what it is). If not needed, consider leaving it off unless it may make a future repair more difficult or impossible. In the latter case, they should weld it back on and off some warranty on their work.

Everything is negotiable. The extent is up to your knowledge, legal rights, and bargaining ability.
    Charlie

Your mission, should you decide to accept it, is to add value to these threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same or similar problem stands on your shoulders.

My Cars
    2004 325XI/2008 GL320
    Depends on the size of the break. I have seen an ear welded back on and reinforced to be stronger than it originally was. With the block being aluminum, I think its more than likely to be the most responsible cost effective approach in this instance.

And they should pay.

My Cars
    E46 wag. E36 convertible
    Last edited by Eaglesail; 05-06-2017 at 03:35 PM.

My Cars
    E46 wag. E36 convertible
    Last edited by Eaglesail; 05-06-2017 at 03:36 PM.

My Cars
    E46 wag. E36 convertible
    Last edited by Eaglesail; 05-06-2017 at 03:36 PM.

My Cars
    88,m5 95 740 04 XI E90
    You might be able to just put it together the way it is. If does not cause any leaks. There are quite a few bolts holding the engine and trans together. Ask them to give you some money off on the clutch and see how it works out. I really doubt you will have any issues.

My Cars
    '06 zhp coupe
    Adding that it's common for these engines to burn oil. There are somewhat simple things that can be done to mitigate it.