Thread: F10 535i Dinnan stage 1 ecu tune

My Cars
    535i

F10 535i Dinnan stage 1 ecu tune

Recently bought a 535i with Dinan stage 1 ecu. Should I keep it on the car? Is the performance gain noticeable for daily driving ?

Pelican Parts is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '02 E39 Touring
    If this is going to be just a daily driver, the tune probably isn't necessary. From what I've read and heard the tune is quite noticeable; esp if paired with other accessories.
    Your Trusted Source For DIY and Parts
    FREE SHIPPING over $99 click here
    BMW Parts | DIY Tech Articles | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube | Promos
    888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by Canvas1995 View Post
    Recently bought a 535i with Dinan stage 1 ecu. Should I keep it on the car? Is the performance gain noticeable for daily driving ?
    Definitely keep it

My Cars
    If you bought the car with the tune, why would you want to take it off?
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician

My Cars
    2014 550 MSport
    Keep the tune, Dinan is the benchmark for BMW tunes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    Correction, Dinan used to be the benchmark for tuning BMW's. Things have come a long way. Dinan quality and support has greatly dropped off, allowing many other companies to really step up their market share. Dinan is extremely overpriced compared to what is out there.

We've had countless cars with Dinan tuners on them that get constant check engine lights, and the only way to fix it is to remove the Dinan stuff.
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician

My Cars
    2014 550 MSport
    So... what the best bang for your buck?

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by Scurvey View Post
    So... what the best bang for your buck?

Dinan sport
    https://www.x-ph.com/dinantronics-sp...-bmw-f-series/

My Cars
    1981 BMW 320i
    I added the Sportroni unit - great for a daily driver, as you can change the boost from your phone. The app that Dinan puts out is horrible, but it does work.
    1981 BMW 320i, Ascot Grey with Tan Leatherette, 137K, 5 speed, K&N filter, Ansa Exhaust, Bilstein HD's, Rota RB's, Bumper Tuck.

2013 BMW 535i M Sport, Arctic Silver with Black interior.

1966 Ford Mustang Convertible 289 cc, 56K, Dark Grey on Black, Styled steel wheels, C4 Automatic.

1014 Porsche Cayman S, Black on Black

My Cars
    2014 550 MSport
    So... I have a 2014 550, I haven't seen much in the way of tunes. I would love to see some options

My Cars
    15 X5, 02 330i, 09 MiniS
    Quote Originally Posted by Scurvey View Post
    So... I have a 2014 550, I haven't seen much in the way of tunes. I would love to see some options
    Your best option for the N63TU is Mission Performance, their shop 15 550i runs a 11.2 quarter mile on stock everything else.
    https://missiontuning.com/bmw-f10-20...ware-tune.html
    Tenured Automotive Service Professional - Avid BMW Enthusiast

My Cars
    535i
    i have a 2012 535i...what is a best tune for this car? and are these tunes plug and play?

is there any tune that can be done by programing? i have done some programing on my car myself to enable few features (with some help from Forum)...any coding available to boost performance?

My Cars
    15 X5, 02 330i, 09 MiniS
    Mission Performance has the hottest tune out there for F10 535i cars. The stage 2 makes 370hp/450tq. It is what I have on my car, along with full bolt ons and an upgraded turbo.

You will need to remove the DME and send it in, they are locked from programming from the OBD port and need to be written in boot mode on the bench.

My Cars
    E36 M3's
    This thread was a bit old, I'm curious if anyone has recently used Dinan's Stage one system for a 535i M-Sport. I like Mission's ability to go back to factory flash if needed when car is taken in for service. Does Dinan also "hide" that the ECU has been played with?
    Dakar 95 M3 (4/95 manufacture)
    Techno Violet 97 M3 (12/96 manufacture)
    Alpine White 16 535i M-Sport (10/15 manufacture)

My Cars
    15 X5, 02 330i, 09 MiniS
    DINAN uses a piggyback device. The DME doesn't really see it, although there are still tells in FASTA.

Mission Performance has been flash enabled for nearly a year now. I'm flashing client cars through the OBD port with MP tunes in and out no fuss.

My Cars
    E36 M3's
    Quote Originally Posted by Stück View Post
    DINAN uses a piggyback device. The DME doesn't really see it, although there are still tells in FASTA.

Mission Performance has been flash enabled for nearly a year now. I'm flashing client cars through the OBD port with MP tunes in and out no fuss.
    Are you saying a dealer will be able to tell the Dinan system was installed? I'm ignorant when it comes to software and don't want to void my warranty. 2016 535i MSport. it appears as though you can change fuel mapping with Dinan Stage one package. This cannot be done with MP's flash correct?

My Cars
    15 X5, 02 330i, 09 MiniS
    No one at the dealer cares, and a flash tune or piggy back device regardless of maker cannot void your warranty.

Look up the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. Consumers are protected from such foolishness regardless of them being ignorant to the laws in place to do so.

Now, should you push your engine (far beyond what a piggy back or off the shelf tune can do) to the point of catastrophic failure and it is proven as the source BMW may elect to decline warranty replacement of THAT component, but they cannot legally just unilaterally VOID your vehicles warranty.

and again... no one at the dealer cares about your mods unless you are seeking scattered engine replacement or something.

Why would you want to change fuel mapping? You can run up to about E25-30 on these cars on the stock fuel system in most cases without an issue, even on the factory flash.

I run E30 daily in my M5.

My Cars
    E36 M3's
    Well the dealer near me just voided someone’s engine warranty because they had a CAI on it, so I’ll take your comments about dealers ‘not caring’ with a grain of salt. It would seem to me that being able to get air fuel mixtures correct would be important for economy and longevity, especially with the sizable torque gains these upgrades tout. But like I said, I’m not the most knowledgeable about tuning.
    Last edited by Casebrius; 02-02-2019 at 09:04 PM.

My Cars
    15 X5, 02 330i, 09 MiniS
    It is impossible to say what extenuating circumstances exist, or details are lacking if your claim is true, but at face value the owner of said vehicle could sue in federal court and easily win. The mere presence of a aftermarket air filter would have to have been proven as the cause of failure to void warranty. A dealership cannot legally void warranty coverage of a singular component in good health due to the presence of aftermarket accessories.

My Cars
    E36 M3's
    Quote Originally Posted by Stück View Post
    It is impossible to say what extenuating circumstances exist, or details are lacking if your claim is true, but at face value the owner of said vehicle could sue in federal court and easily win. The mere presence of a aftermarket air filter would have to have been proven as the cause of failure to void warranty. A dealership cannot legally void warranty coverage of a singular component in good health due to the presence of aftermarket accessories.
    First of all, I'm not trying to argue, just learn. Suing in federal court over a $5K motor would be asinine. If BMW can prove with FASTA that an engines boost/stoic AFR/rev limit MIGHT have caused engine failures, or even problems with unrelated items such as a fuel pump, I would think they would use that card. Maybe not all, but hearing about my local $tealers history makes me concerned. From what I've gleaned, Dinan's system MAY be better at avoiding detection over Mission Tuning because of the way Dinan's piggyback (or anyone elses) fakes the DME into thinking it has less boost pressure than it does so the DME 'adds boost' whereas Mission flash remaps boost to higher levels. Correct me if I'm wrong. Again, I'll admit I'm learning about tuning and may be way off base. I read this in another forum:
    "This visibility (FASTA evidence) only really applies to flash based tuned. Piggyback tunes, on the other hand, work by effectively shielding the DME from higher-than-stock boost data. In the case of the Procede, the Procede computer feeds the DME a boost signal based upon its CAN DME Boost Target. Once the DME is satisfied, it controls boost all by itself without the DME knowing any better. The advantage is unrestricted boost control and complete diagnostic invisibility."

My Cars
    15 X5, 02 330i, 09 MiniS
    Dealer list price on a new N55b30 is $22,267.69. Add skilled installation labor, and consumables not to mention while they are there have to change to cover thy ass variables I promise your out-of-warranty dealer engine replacement would be over $30k.

Even piggybacks leave tells that can be seen remotely by PUMA through FASTA and other means. I really don't like the piggybacks because they LIE to the DME, and as a result torque management is not on the level. The transmission really needs to know how much torque it is receiving to adjust shifting and clutch clamping parameters for longevity sake. Mission has 8HP and DCT flash tunes as well to deal with shoveling torque down their throat. Procede has been obsolete for like 10 years or more.

Flash tunes are the only legitimate means of making real power and keeping everything as safe as possible with no added BS to fail and disable your car. Yes I've had clients cars towed in with failed piggybacks that stopped them dead in their tracks. Remove it, hand back to them, runs great.

You seem so worried about this I would sincerely recommend you leave your car factory stock, and sell it the nano second the warranty is expired.

My Cars
    E36 M3's
    Thanks for the input and education. I'd rather be ignorant than fucking arrogant.

My Cars
    15 X5, 02 330i, 09 MiniS
    Sorry, only so much you can talk to a brick wall before you get tired sometimes....

Quit overthinking this and just tune the car. Your engine isn't going to blow up.
    Last edited by Stück; 02-03-2019 at 07:03 PM.

My Cars
    7 bmw's
    I put the Dinantronics stage 1 tuner on my 2014 535i. I can't tell much difference for daily driving. Their dyno charts show that most of the power is way up in the rpm range where the engine doesn't' normally operate except for short bursts. I have since learned of other tunes that are readily available for the F10 N55. I feel a little stuck with Dinan but it was too expensive to chuck it. And, as each one is registered to the individual car, I am not sure I could re-sell it if I did take it off.
    Last edited by wgf3; 02-08-2019 at 10:55 AM.