Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread: X6 Speaker Specifications for DIY speaker build

My Cars
    Mercedes v230

X6 Speaker Specifications for DIY speaker build

Hey Guys,

I am new to the forum and came here to get advice. I bought some used car speaker drivers for a small DIY speaker build. The problem is that I cannot find the driver specs on the internet, or from either PSS/BMW.

I sent PSS the following with an included photo of the driver (also included in this post):
    Dear PSS,

I build speakers as a hobby and I recently purchased a set of BMW X6 drivers from a scrapyard. The speakers are:

I have searched all over the internet for the specifications on these drivers but cannot find any trustworthy information. I was hoping you would be able to provide me with the correct specifications on these drivers?

I need to know the following:
    Resonant frequency of the driver

Qms
    Qes
    Vas

Thank you.

They replied and said I need to contact BMW as BMW would know the specification not PSS.
    I forwarded the question and reply to BMW and they replied with:

I’m afraid we don’t have any information on our system and we can’t visually inspect your car, as the previous email you received we have to refer you to your preferred BMW Centre here and one of our technical staff can assist you further with your query.

I’m sorry if this is not the answer you were hoping for, but if you require any further information please get in touch.

I have contacted that BMW Centre in February and have still not gotten a reply.
    Would anyone be able to advise what the specs are for that driver or where I might be able to find out what the specs are?

Thanks!
    JM

My Cars
    03 530dT - Ex Police Car
    Hi,

The oem manufacturers of the drivers and BMW won't release specifications to parts to the general public. They have deals in place to manufacture to BMW's specifications so OEM supply brands like Alpine, Philips, Nokia etc etc won't give out the information.

If you are trying to build specific volume enclosures to make them sound better, then you'll have to use more trial and error. Given that oem speakers aren't really very good and also are made to specifications based on development data by BMW and the manufacturers, they have a general 'as best' setup for the car they go in.

Due to all this, I'd say it's not really worthwhile using oem car speakers in a project, you can get excellent quality drivers from the likes of Vifa that have decent Thiele Small Parameters better suited to the project(s) you do. They're much easier to find and purchase as well meaning you get better and quicker completion of projects.

Cheers, Dennis!