My Cars
    2003 525it Touring

Anyone successfully turned off "transport mode?"

Hey guys,
    I believe my wife's '03 X5 somehow got stuck in transport mode. We've lost central locking, key fob functionality, interior lights (except for trunk lights) and alarm. From what I've read on here it could be the GM3 module, or the car could have gone into "transport/shipping" mode.
    Has anyone experienced this and successfully been able to reset the GM? I know a dealer can do it, but I'm hoping to be able to fix it at home.
    I do have the Bavarian Technic software/dongle program, and I'm going to look into that if I can't get it figured out another way.
    Thanks!!

Pelican Parts is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '02 E39 Touring
    Try searching the forums or google 'bmw transport mode' , there have been several threads about this if I recall correctly - the scan tool you have may work to disable it, others have used the GT-1. Best of luck!
    Your Trusted Source For DIY and Parts
    FREE SHIPPING over $99 click here
    BMW Parts | DIY Tech Articles | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube | Promos
    888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST

My Cars
    2001 525it
    Go to,the dealer and have them check or replace the ignition switch the electrical part

My Cars
    2003 525it Touring
    Well, tried a couple easy fixes which didn't work. Disconnected battery and joined the two leads for thirty minutes and replaced the hazard/central locking switch. Tried my Bavtech software setup to no avail, I don't believe it will talk to the GM3.
    I also called a local independent dealer, they were not very familiar with "transport/shipping" mode, and they said they'd just start with 1.5hrs of diag at $110/hr, which will get expensive fast!
    Tomorrow I'm going to pull the GM3 module and send it to Scott at BMWGM5 and let him take a look at it. From what I've read ours has the classic symptoms of that module going bad.
    I'll post back when we get the GM3 back with results.

My Cars
    2003 525it Touring
    Hey guys,
    Well I pulled the GM3 and sent it to Scott at BMWGM5.com. Got it back, plugged it all in and everything works! Central locking, key fobs and interior lights are all good again! What a relief!
    Can't say enough good about Scott Johnson and the service he provides BMW owners!
    Hoping the X5 will stay fixed for awhile this time!

My Cars
    2012 X6 35i
    Glad you got it sorted out.

My Cars
    BMW 3 Series F31 2016
    I konw this a old thread, but I just fixed Transport Mode issue on my car with a Autel tool,wanna share the experience here

Car model and year: BMW 3 Series F31 2016 .
    Purpose: Turn off the ABS/DSC Warning Light
    Tool used:Autel MaxiCOM MK808

ProcedurePlug the connector into the OBD2 port, let’s go to Autel MK808,

Diagnostics >> BMW >> Manual selection >> 3 Series >> F30/F31/F35 >> Yes

Turn the ignition off, please wait...

Turn the ignition on, please wait...

It is communicating with the ECU, and it’ll give us a big list of a system that will allow us to diagnose. I need to find the ABS/DSC system.

Diagnosis >> Control unit >> Chassis

ABS - DSC(ABS-Dynamic stability control) >> Read codes

It’s telling one fault code here: 48082A - wheel speed sensor(WSS): right rear voltage supply circuit short to battery(+)

It means that there is a fault with the rear right ABS sensor. It is a very common failure on BMW’s actually, what I had done was to change the ABS sensor over, and put a new one in.

So go back to clear codes,
    ESC >> Erase codes

DTCs and freeze data will be deleted, press “Yes” to continue.

Codes have been successfully erased. Press “OK” to finish.

The ABS warning light has gone!
    We can return to “Read codes” again to verify as well.

This is using Autel MK808 Diagnostic Tool to reset ABS for a BMW 3 series F31, it can also works on BMW 3 Series E36, E46, E90, E91, E92, E93, F30, F35, BMW 4 Series F32, F33, F36, BMW 5 Series E39, E60, F07, F10, F11...etc.