Thread: Bent frame, worth fixing?

My Cars
    2010 E82 135i

Bent frame, worth fixing?

Hey everyone, as you may know from my previous posts, my car had been having some alignment issues even after replacing the control arms, struts, and tires. Now I'm fairly certain the car has frame damage. I've noticed that some gaps that I had always were normal, are in fact not normal. But then again, this is coming from an untrained eye. I'm having a guy check it out on Tuesday. He specializes in body work and frame repair. However, my question is, is it even worth fixing? The cost isn't too much of a concern because he'll do it for a good price and he does good work, but I don't want to waste money if it isn't going to make the car drive like it's supposed to. Have any of you ever had frame damage that you repaired? Did the car drive properly afterwards?

My Cars
    2009 335i M-Sport Coupe
    It should be fixable. We had a firebird that was tweaked pretty bad, and repaired before we got it. The alignment looked all wrong on paper, but the car tracked and drove great.

My Cars
    2010 E82 135i
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketSurgeon View Post
    It should be fixable. We had a firebird that was tweaked pretty bad, and repaired before we got it. The alignment looked all wrong on paper, but the car tracked and drove great.
    If my car does in fact have frame damage, it shouldn't be too bad. The car doesn't dogleg and apart from the wider gap between the wider gap between the driver's side window and body vs the passenger side and the alignment issue, there are no other signs of frame damage. I'm hoping it can be fixed and drive like new

My Cars
    2011 E90 328i
    First, you car doesn't have a frame. It is a unibody. That said, you have a front subframe that attaches to the unibody, but most likely you have a bent front suspension component, which your friend should be able to find.

My Cars
    95 Mercedes C220
    I work in a collision shop. Yes, your unibody can be straightened to just like new again. The big thing is making sure that whoever does it has the proper equipment, mainly a way to do 3 dimensional measuring electronically, and also have fixtures to properly lock it to a rack so he can pull it properly. He also needs to measure the wheelbase by way of the balljoints(the only accurate way to measure wheelbase) to determine if one wheel is back or not. And yes, you could also have some bent components as well , all which can be measured with the proper equipment. Afterwards, you will have to take it to get a quality alignment done, not just a "set the toe and let it go" alignment.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk