Thread: Battery Drain

My Cars
    1992 BMW 325i

Battery Drain

Hello everyone I have a 2003 325ci. My car battery has been draining weirdly, if I let the car sit for 12 or so hours, it will be dead. I have been unplugging my negative battery terminal everytime I leave the car to avoid my car dying, on my instrument cluster with the car off the battery voltage test said it was at 10.3 volts, I have it charging right now. I believe my final stage resistor is going bad due to fluctuating fan speeds when I drive and runs when the car is off, which is what I think causes the battery to die, but I'm reading various conflicting things online, anyone have suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2001 325i; 2006 325i
    The first thing to do is to confirm that the battery is good. How old is the battery? After 3 years, death is coming. Charge it overnight, check the voltage. Fully charged it should be at around 12.6v or just over (at under 12v, your battery is dead). When running it should be at around 13.7 or so volts. Under load it should be able to sustain right at around 10.5v.

At 10.3v the battery is dead, dead.

As for the fan, I thought they were supposed to vary their speed according to need and ours stay on for a bit after turning the cars off.

My Cars
    1992 BMW 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyAngel View Post
    The first thing to do is to confirm that the battery is good. How old is the battery? After 3 years, death is coming. Charge it overnight, check the voltage. Fully charged it should be at around 12.6v or just over (at under 12v, your battery is dead). When running it should be at around 13.7 or so volts. Under load it should be able to sustain right at around 10.5v.

At 10.3v the battery is dead, dead.

As for the fan, I thought they were supposed to vary their speed according to need and ours stay on for a bit after turning the cars off.
    Should I be trusting the obc reading of the battery voltage or use a multimeter?

My Cars
    01 E46 330i 5sp man spor
    Replace the final stage resistor that is the problem. Charge the battery and test the voltage again. The blower motor should never stay on after the ignition switch is off. Battery discharge and erratic blower motor function are the classic symptoms of a bad fsr. This problem affects every bmw that uses the same fsr (e39, e46, and e53)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2001 325i; 2006 325i
    Dang, I don't know why I was thinking fan motor after reading the original post. Sorry, but randy is right. Get rid of the cause of the battery drain then put the battery through its paces. I always just use a DMM, but I'm new to BMWs and am not familiar with all that a dedicated scanner can do.

My Cars
    e46
    my problem is similar changed 2 final stage resistors, no difference .i think the problem is elsewhere

My Cars
    2001 525it
    You need to do a draw test. If the car has an automatic transmission you can check to see if the car is going to sleep. When you turn off the car and lock it, the "p" light at the top of the shifter will remain lit for up to 20 mins. Then go out, it the car does not go to sleep the light will remain on, meaning some thing is keeping the car awake. Or if the light went out then you checked later and the p light came on then something woke the car she up.
    Last edited by jclausen; 06-03-2017 at 01:38 PM.

My Cars
    1992 BMW 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by jclausen View Post
    You need to do a draw test. If the car has an automatic transmission you can check to see if the car is going to sleep. When you turn off the car and lock it, the "p" light at the top of the shifter will remain lit for up to 20 mins. Then go out, it the car does not go to sleep the light will remain on, meaning some thing is keeping the car awake. Or if the light went out then you checked later and the p light came on then something woke the car she up.
    What if I have a manual transmission?

My Cars
    01 E46 330i 5sp man spor
    Quote Originally Posted by watuszak View Post
    What if I have a manual transmission?

No indication. Just wait 16 minutes and then it should be asleep.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk