Thread: Buying an E46 with 165k on the clock.

My Cars
    None

Buying an E46 with 165k on the clock.

Hey guys

Just joined the forum as I feel this is the best place to get pure, unbiased help.

Basically, my story is that I moved to California 4 months ago and desperately need a car for cheap. My biggest thing is getting one that looks nice, is reliable and fun to drive. I found a 325ci from 2001 with 165k miles on it and I'm hearing mixed things. Some people tell me they're super reliable, others tell me that it's a headache waiting to happen. I do want the car to last me a few years and the cost of repairs is fortunately something I can manage, however I do NOT want to have to be making trips to a mechanic every month. Another thing that unsettles me is that I've noticed people who are selling these cars either can't sell them or are desperate to sell them. The guy was originally asking $3300 but I talked him down to $2500. Could I have some honest answers/advice? This would be my first ever BMW btw. Thanks!

My Cars
    2002 330i, 2000 528iT
    There's a long list of maintenance items you'll likely need on a used BMW. If you want it to last and be reliable, you're gonna have to do a lot of preventative maintenance.

165k can mean either a lot of things have been done or nothing has been done. Generally, price will reflect that.

Cooling system, brakes, fuel pump, valve cover gasket, oil filter housing gasket, suspension, etc.

If you plan to have a shop do these repairs, forget buying the car, as the repair costs will exceed the value of the car.

I'm not trying to discourage you, BMW makes some great cars. But, don't be frustrated when your 165k needs a work...

Take a look at this thread:
    http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=960780

My Cars
    2004 325XI/2008 GL320
    However, everything doesnt have to be done at once. Replace the waterpump, expansion tank, hoses, thermostat, and radiator day one. The rest can be done as needed.

My Cars
    325e 535i M5 325iT 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by dhurley34 View Post
    However, everything doesnt have to be done at once. Replace the waterpump, expansion tank, hoses, thermostat, and radiator day one. The rest can be done as needed.
    This is rational advice and spot-on.

My Cars
    2005 BMW 330Ci Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackson42 View Post
    This is rational advice and spot-on.
    Agreed.

I recommend buying the cooling system kit on FCP euro for your car. Seeing as you plan on keeping the car long-term this website has excellent prices and offers lifetime warranty replacement on every single thing they sell on that website (EVEN OIL AND OIL FILTER KITS). Just remember when you purchase the car you're probably going to have to do all of this as soon as you get your hands on it. Mango did a terrific write up on top 10 most important common items that need to be replaced in an E46, I would start checking that list off too. You can also use that as a negotiation point, so maybe knock a little bit more off the price seeing as you'll spend a small chunk making the car up to date on maintenance. I'll link them down for you below

Cooling system kit (automatic):

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...-mangocoolkit3

E46 Common Issues post:

http://www.e46mango.com/2016/08/top-...r-e46.html?m=1

My Cars
    98 Euro M3, 04 M3, 06 M5
    If you plan to have a shop do these repairs, forget buying the car, as the repair costs will exceed the value of the car.
    This. Buying a cheap higher mile E46 that you cant work on yourself is going to be very expensive.
    Current:

- 09 335i MSport, FBO.
    - 98 Euro M3, Estoril Blue
    - 04 M3, Carbon Black, 6 Speed Coupe
    - 06 M5, Black on Black, Full Leather.
    - 73 3.0CS, Tagia Green, 5 speed M30b35 converted

Ex's: 1984 325e, 1988 325IX, 1992 525I, 1995 540i/6, 2002 330i, 2005 330xi, 1992 850i, 2003 330i #1, 2003 330i #2, 2002 330ci, 2004 330ci, 2007 328CI, 2007 335i, 2001 M3, 2006 M5 6 speed

My Cars
    2001 325i; 2006 325i
    Is it an automatic or manual transmission? What kind of shape is it in? How's the interior? Exterior? Have you run a carfax on it? Do you plan to do any of the maintenance yourself?

I recently bought an '01 325i with 75,000 miles on it and paid under $2,000 for it. That's about what they are worth. Unless an inspection proves otherwise, you can pretty much count on having to do a complete cooling system over haul. Parts alone will run you $500-$600. Odds are that the control arms bushings are also shot, along with any associated joints. I got mine from NAPA. Control arms with bushings and joints already installed, if I remember right were $150 each. The shocks will likely need to be replaced. Brakes all the way around, ~$300 for rotors and pads. The list could go on. As said above, you could just start with what needs to be done and just do them in order of priority.

In the end, though, if you are planning to have a shop do all of this work, walk away. Older BMWs are NOT for those on a budget, unless you can do the work yourself.

If you have your heart set on getting an E46, you should be looking for something with a manual transmission, low miles (under 100k), a clean carfax and service records. If you can find a car that was taken care of the way it should have been, meaning that it needs nothing because all maintenance has been done, it just might do you. For something like this, I'd probably pay up to $3,500 just because it's so clean, but good luck finding one.

But again, if you aren't doing your own work, I'd walk away from the idea.

My Cars
    2002 330i, 2000 528iT
    Just stay away from SULEV E46s. Fuel pumps are sealed in the tank which costs thousands of dollars to replace.

My Cars
    05' e46 15'F30
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyAngel View Post
    Is it an automatic or manual transmission? What kind of shape is it in? How's the interior? Exterior? Have you run a carfax on it? Do you plan to do any of the maintenance yourself?

I recently bought an '01 325i with 75,000 miles on it and paid under $2,000 for it. That's about what they are worth. Unless an inspection proves otherwise, you can pretty much count on having to do a complete cooling system over haul. Parts alone will run you $500-$600. Odds are that the control arms bushings are also shot, along with any associated joints. I got mine from NAPA. Control arms with bushings and joints already installed, if I remember right were $150 each. The shocks will likely need to be replaced. Brakes all the way around, ~$300 for rotors and pads. The list could go on. As said above, you could just start with what needs to be done and just do them in order of priority.

In the end, though, if you are planning to have a shop do all of this work, walk away. Older BMWs are NOT for those on a budget, unless you can do the work yourself.

If you have your heart set on getting an E46, you should be looking for something with a manual transmission, low miles (under 100k), a clean carfax and service records. If you can find a car that was taken care of the way it should have been, meaning that it needs nothing because all maintenance has been done, it just might do you. For something like this, I'd probably pay up to $3,500 just because it's so clean, but good luck finding one.

But again, if you aren't doing your own work, I'd walk away from the idea.

^^+1^^ To this. I'd like to add that there is a definite level of DIY skills required to realistically own and operate older E46's. It's nothing that cannot be acquired or learned, but the thought of taking a old 165k e46 to a shop is scary.
    Good luck.

My Cars
    2004 325XI/2008 GL320
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver Coupe View Post
    ^^+1^^ To this. I'd like to add that there is a definite level of DIY skills required to realistically own and operate older E46's. It's nothing that cannot be acquired or learned, but the thought of taking a old 165k e46 to a shop is scary.
    Good luck.
    Back in 2014 I took my 2000 323CI with 128k on the clock to the dealership to get the passenger air bag replaced and they did a whole inspection of what needed to be replaced. The total came to almost $9k.... I did it all myself for around $4k.

Pelican Parts is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '02 E39 Touring
    Excellent overall advice from the members above - if you do end up purchasing the E46, take a look at the link below to our site's DIY tech articles. If you're able to do some of the work yourself, it'll save you quite a bit of $$. Best of luck!

http://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/tech...h_main_e46.htm
    Your Trusted Source For DIY and Parts
    FREE SHIPPING over $99 click here
    BMW Parts | DIY Tech Articles | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube | Promos
    888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST

My Cars
    1989 BMW 750il
    Any car you buy with mileage on it will need repairs, either immediately or as time goes on. I bought my 325xi with 200k on the odo from a very anal original owner who took incredible care of the car for 2500. I instantly dropped another $3k on it which I planned on. Full suspension refresh, tires, and some odds and ends. Now it is a very reliable car that I love and I know it is in great shape. Total investment was $5500. If you look at what I got for $5500, I got a great deal. So do not look at some repairs needed and be nervous. Plan on them and enjoy the ride.
    Sasquatch
    2002 BMW 325Xi
    2001 MB ML430

My Cars
    '73 E9, '94 E34, '02 E46
    "My biggest thing is getting one that looks nice, is reliable and fun to drive"

Attention: noob to the white courtesy phone, and listen up good.

That's like wanting a race car that is good, fast and cheap. You can only have two of three wishes, usually not even that.

No harm intended, but you have been given the straight dope in the preceding posts. I just got a 2002 325xi for $500 but it needs a few things and the only reason I got it cheap is the kid selling "was tired of the hassle" which means he's got far too much money to be bothered by little things like periodic maintenance, legal registration, a parking ticket, the red "Service Engine Soon" light on the dash, and getting County-required safety check. Now he rides a moped, but I don't know for how long he'll survive driving as he does. Nice kid, but light in the responsibility department. But I digress, eh?
    Charlie

Your mission, should you decide to accept it, is to add value to these threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same or similar problem stands on your shoulders.

My Cars
    2001 325i; 2006 325i
    Well, of getting one that looks nice, is reliable and fun to drive; it will surely be fun to drive (while it's running) especially if you get a manual. If you find one that looks nice (I suppose this is relative), expect to pay a premium for one that has been garage kept. I know that I'd be willing to pay a premium for an E46 with perfect paint and perfect body. As far as reliability goes, with an old car, the only parts that you can ALMOST count on not to break are those that you just changed or that you know the previous owner just changed. Everything else is game for failure.

Personally, I have yet to see an E46 that was taken care of as it should have been; although I have seen many that the previous owners THOUGHT were well taken care of. This is the part where doing it yourself comes into play. If you decide what it is that you want (in this case, an E46), you can research them. This is how I found out about what to look for when shopping for an E46. Things like the cooling system, control arm bushings and sub frame mounts. Knowing this stuff when you go to look at a car will allow you to point out the faults in a car that you are interested in, thereby reducing the sale price.

Really, it's kind of too bad that you don't have more wrenching experience. I was looking through craigslist today and saw at least 3 325i for under $1000. If I didn't already have 2 to care for and a DeSoto in the garage, I would grab one just to fix it up. All three are more than presentable in appearance, but need some TLC.

My Cars
    E46 wag. E36 convertible
    nuevO...hi

Recently I bought an 03 325xi wagon with 116.5k in good condition, I have found some issues with my new to me BMW, ...including a leaking valve cover gasket (common) as I learn..and somewhat involving to replace..also as I learn about my car is that the water pump is known to fail and can be catastrophic if not recognized and replaced as such by an observing owner or one with some mechanical aptitude. Waterpump-valve cover gasket ..a look first....but cooling system integrity a must, so I a have researched.

This is not my first German car...Most German cars, Benz, Audi, BMW, Porsche, are advanced technology cars and they need a certain level of higher attention...especially if out of warranty. Find an 'indy' to work on the car if you are not mechanically inclined to do so. Dealerships are cost prohibitive almost always! ...good luck
    Last edited by Eaglesail; 05-06-2017 at 05:09 PM.

My Cars
    1989 325ix, 2005 325xi
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyAngel View Post
    Older BMWs are NOT for those on a budget, unless you can do the work yourself.
    One more time...

My Cars
    2001 325i; 2006 325i
    What's really funny about the E46 is that they are dirt cheap to own, if you can DIY (because labor cost what it does regardless of the year). Shoot, I did my son's WHOLE cooling system on his E46 for what it will cost me just for a water pump and thermostat on my E90. Don't get me wrong, I really like my E90, but I often wonder if I shouldn't have waited for that just right E46 330i. I'm just hoping that the intake manifold upgrade I hope to do on my E90 will rid me of those thoughts.

My Cars
    E46 wag. E36 convertible
    Parts for the BMW are varied by online suppliers including 'Rock Auto' 'Peach Tree' 'Pelican' and several others. The latter two I mention do specialize in German parts. Parts for BMW and are not exceedingly expensive, many parts are level with a Ford Focus...really!

Do your own labor...lots of BMW dyi on youtube...