Thread: Do not try this at home.

My Cars
    91 535i

Do not try this at home.

Front strut replacement. Just a few easy to get to nuts and bolts, how hard could it be?

having been falsely buoyed with the recent success of changing top rear shock mounts in my old 535 with my cheap clamp on spring compressors, I decided today to put new front struts on my wife's X3 and eliminate the big bouncy ride.

first problem, the pinch bolt head sheared off and I had to drift out the remains, plus run to the dealer to get a new $10 bolt. Second problem, getting the lower strut out of the pinch was a big pita; eventually I had to put a bottle hydraulic jack between the lower suspension and the upper spring perch and it finally moved.

put the strut/spring assembly on the bench, and my crappy spring compressors just barely made it possible to get the old spring off. But third problem, the compressors would not compress the spring far enough to assemble it onto the new strut; frankly, I could sense a possible trip to the ER if something suddenly let go.

so I put the stuff in the box, drove to my local generic and competent shop, bypassed the front desk, went in the back way and asked a mechanic if he would assemble it on their industrial hydraulic spring compressor. He said sure, was done in ten minutes, and I slipped him $20 while thanking him from saving me from severe injuries and another stern wife lecture about being too cheap to hire anyone.

getting it back on was a minor hassle, as getting the pinch sleeve lined up to receive the tube is not that straight forward. Had to use two small hydraulic jacks to get it to go, plus the usual and customary bad language.

so one side is done, and the hell with the other side, I'm gonna surrender for once and let the garage do it.
    Last edited by UberXY; 04-28-2017 at 04:39 PM.
    Steve
    91 535i
    08 X3
    05 X3
    86 930
    73 TR6

My Cars
    2020 X3 M40
    While I commend you for doing what you did, I have learned that my time is more valuable spent in what I know best. Everyone who does this day in and day out and has the proper tools is significantly more equipped to do this type of work. I love the proud moment when you successfully accomplished your task, but in reality, you made the right call to have the other side done by a professional.
    Current Car: 2020 X3 M40i
    BMW's owned
    2002 330 ci (my first BMW)
    2011 128i (purchased as a CPO on 11/15)
    2017 X3 Xdrive28i (purchased new for wife on 2/17)

my favorite quote:
    C&D July 08
    Every other manufacturer should give up on building their own cars and just make M3s instead.

My Cars
    Too many/Not enough
    Having read this, and also having tackled the front struts today, I'm going to throw in my 2 cents worth. The original poster, UberXY is exactly correct. I have removed/installed struts on several different model BMW's with no issue, but I'll have to say, the removal of the spring from the strut on my 2005 X3, can only be performed with a commercial strut compression tool. Fortunately, I have a friend that owns a shop with a strut compressor which allowed me to complete the work. I also experienced a broken pinch bolt which I was able to remove with penetrating spray, heat, and a hammer and drift. So be warned and be wise....if you tackle this job, plan ahead to take the struts somewhere to have the springs removed to have the new strut tubes attached. Also, new pinch bolts and corresponding nuts will be required as well. Good luck.
    Current Garage:
    91 e34 M5 - spoiled & demanding 27 y/o -glanzshwarz
    91 850i/6 -another spoiled & demanding 27 y/o- schwarz-gone but never forgotten
    06 325i - undeserving, spoiled & demanding 27 y/o daughter's DD-hellrot
    03 MINI Cooper S JCW -spoiled & demanding, yet deserving wife's DD - Chili/Panther
    05 X3 3.0i -family workhorse - diamond schwarz
    12 X5 3.5d - torque monster - space gray metallic
    86 GMC Cabellero - Old Faithful 32 y/o DD BMW Support Vehicle
    08 Cub Cadet 19HP 46" hydrostatic- yard vehicle
    88 Schwinn Sierra - 1WD Off Road Vehicle
    e31 & OHC BMW CCA #385540