Thread: Which Koni Yellows for touring rear?

My Cars
    1995 525i/5

Question Which Koni Yellows for touring rear?

Hey guys,

I finished my front suspension overhaul recently (control arms + ball joints, sway bar links + bushings, shock mounts, Koni Yellows + Dinan springs) and the car feels pretty great in the front, so now it's time for me to address the awful rear suspension.

I already have a lot of the pieces purchased— rear lower ball joints, BMW rear ball joint removal tool, integral links, upper control arms, sway bar links, and an M5 swaybar with new bushings. All that's left is to get some new rear shocks + shock mounts since mine are completely toast at 188k miles. I have the self-leveling rear suspension and I also have the sport package, so "officially" none of the Koni Yellows are compatible. However I know a few people on here are running them without any problems, so what model number are you guys using? And if anybody's selling a lightly used set please PM me.

Thanks in advance!
    1995 525i 5-speed - Thread

My Cars
    E38 2001 m; 99528iT sprt
    i thought from comments i read around here those will not work meaning you will have ride height issues and even fitting problems. with self leveling, you are better off with oem less headache and less trouble shooting future wise (the konis wouldn't enhance the stance or tightness anyways in the back)

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Both Redshift and myself are running Konis with SLS and they're fine. I just bought the ones listed on ECS for non-SLS sport models. I bought them from Tire Rack and I think if you search on Tire Rack, they show up, with the same warning that they are for non-SLS only. Redshift is actually switching to springs with Jed's spring perches, but that's mainly because he likes to take his wagon to the track and the air bags just don't have enough stability in the corners for his driving level. I'm pretty happy with mine though since my wagon is pretty much exclusively a DD/Utility vehicle.

-Paul
    2003 "M5" - Full M5 conversion, AMG C63S 6 piston front calipers, Porsche Panamera 4 piston rear calipers, GC Coilovers,
    Eibach ARBs, UUC Evo3/DSSR, Borla Exhaust w/Muffler Delete, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto, Bi-Xenons, e38 Style 37 M-Pars, e60 Hubs 530i 6-speed swap build thread
    2005 Range Rover 4.6is (M62TU Powered) - 4.6is Engine Swap from X5, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto
    2006 Porsche Cayman S - Soul Performance Competition Headers and Exhaust, H&R Coilovers, 718 Boxster Spyder wheels, Rennline 35mm rear spacers

My Cars
    E39t, E30, E60, E10
    I've used the Koni's with the factory air springs, and now with springs with Jed's perches. Works fine either way.
    Bob
    2003 540 M-Sport Touring
    2008 528i
    1991 318is
    1976 2002

My Cars
    1995 525i/5
    Gotcha, so I'll just buy the ones that are for wagons without SLS then. Thanks for the tips, guys!

Funnily enough, the shocks moved down a notch in my priorities list because my brakes got really bad the past few days. They shriek and squeak so loudly that I can hear them inside the car, whereas before I only heard them with the windows down. They still stop fine but the noise is crazy. The rotors have giant lips and there's not much pad material left.

My Cars
    528i, 525iT, M5
    Get them brakes done! Have to STOP sometimes.

Let me know how your suspension rebuild goes. Mine was pretty straight forward following the DIY articles and videos. No surprises just a bunch of bolts.
    Current Garage Highlights
    2003 525iT TiSilver
    2002 M5 TiSilver
    1998 528i KASCHMIRBEIGE METALLIC (301) (Goldie)

Former Garage Highlights
    2005 X5 4.8is
    2004 325iTs (2x)
    1973 Pantera L
    1971 Dodge Dart Swinger "Lite Package"
    1970 Dodge Challenger T/A 340 Six Pack Alpine White
    1970 Dodge Challenger T/A 340 Six Pack GoManGo Green
    1969 Road Runner 383
    1968 Barracuda Formula S 340 Sea Foam Green

My Cars
    1995 525i/5
    Quote Originally Posted by StephenVA View Post
    Get them brakes done! Have to STOP sometimes.

Let me know how your suspension rebuild goes. Mine was pretty straight forward following the DIY articles and videos. No surprises just a bunch of bolts.
    My front rebuild was pretty straightforward, here's what I used:

- Thrust arms (Lemforder)
    - Control arms (Lemforder)
    - Sway bar bushings (Genuine BMW)
    - Sway bar links (Meyle HD)
    - Shocks (Koni Yellow adjustable)
    - Springs (Dinan lowering springs)
    - Strut mounts (Genuine BMW)

Aside from the shocks/springs I mostly stuck with things that were similar to OE, because I didn't want a rougher ride. This is a daily driver after all, not a track car.

I'm getting ready to do the rear rebuild pretty soon. I already replaced the rear subframe bushings with Meyle HD solid bushings. I have Lemforder control arms, Lemforder lower ball joints, Lemforder integral links, Lemforder sway bar end links, and a used M5 sway bar with new bushings. I bought the special BMW tool for installing and removing the lower ball joints because the last time I tried using the C-clamp tool it was a total mess.