My Cars
    2016 X5, 2014 Audi Q5

Retracting mirrors. . . turn on auto feature or not?

I'm installing an invisihitch tomorrow to tow my boat. One of the bonus features is when the companies programmer programs in the hitch they gave me a sheet with like 25 options he can turn on or off.
    Like the key fob closing the trunk or lifting up on the front of the switch inside the car which will also close the trunk lid like most SUV's do . . . but it seems bmw U.S. ships with this feature turned off. My las highlander could close the trunk from fob or inside switch.

Another is "the auto retracting mirrors". I do retract them each night manually as I rent and the neighbor downstairs backs out of our narrow driveway going by my X5 using her rear view mirror .

I'd like to have him turn on this feature, but will it wear the mirror motors out quicker?

Whats been past experience with these bmw mirrors as to how long the motors last?
    I'm sure they are expensive to replace.

Thx

Pelican Parts is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '02 E39 Touring
    I have the retracting mirrors on my 135i (2008) - I 'close' them every time I park and haven't had any issues or seen them slow down or make any noise. I think the motors are quite well built and seem to last. I'd guess they're similar to the X5 ones, so it shouldn't be too big of a concern. Just my 2 cents...
    Your Trusted Source For DIY and Parts
    FREE SHIPPING over $99 click here
    BMW Parts | DIY Tech Articles | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube | Promos
    888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST

My Cars
    2016 X5, 2014 Audi Q5
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelican Parts View Post
    I have the retracting mirrors on my 135i (2008) - I 'close' them every time I park and haven't had any issues or seen them slow down or make any noise. I think the motors are quite well built and seem to last. I'd guess they're similar to the X5 ones, so it shouldn't be too big of a concern. Just my 2 cents...
    Ok thx, I didn't want to wear then out prematurely!

My Cars
    2016 X5, 2014 Audi Q5
    Update: here is the way I decided to go . . . I had the programmer set the key fob today so when I hold down the lock button a little longer the mirrors fold in. This way if I forget to hit the mirror button on the door I can still fold them in while walking away from the car without having them auto close every time I shut car off.