Thread: 07 550i gremlins! bmw tech in need of help

My Cars
    E60 550i

07 550i gremlins! bmw tech in need of help

Like the title states i work on bimmers and havent had a problem like this. It is my DD and need it fixed, ANY input would be appreciated.

It all started with throttle potentiometer, abs malfunction, dbc malfunction and start off assistance inactive, i would know when it was about to happen because the gas pedal was unresponsive. replaced throttle body and throttle harness drove fine for a week then came back.

Same codes this time, but now included in that was differential pressure sensor-intake manifold, and no response from the gas pedal " i am able to push it with no response from the engine " codes wouldnt come on immediately just no throttle.
    So i put in a fresh battery "BMW 110" and a brand new valeo alt and a new gas pedal.

Drove for a week then randomly popped up. Then i swapped a dsc control unit with no luck

So now im absolutely stumped. I am thinking its a complete engine wiring harness or at least to pin out the throttle harness to the DME and make a temporary harness

Just today i put in a new crank sensor and the 30g relay for sh*ts and giggles, same issues

Car also does have a slightly longer crank time than most 550's. I was also thinking maybe the starter is drawing a little too much power from the rest of the vehicle but dont want to do that job. PIA

Once again any suggestions or similar problems would be appreciated sorry for the long read

Car has been to the dealer for updates and all that jazz so thats been covered as well

My Cars
    1974 estoril blue 2002
    I get replacing the battery because low voltage will cause all sorts of weird problems like this in the newer BMWs and even the alternator but what made you change the gas pedal? I do not think this issue is at all stemming from your starter so I would take that off the list of things to replace. I would also be hesitant to go after the harness. I cant tell you what the problem is. all I can do is suggest not replacing those. I don't think it will help, and I would hate to see you throw more parts at it for no reason.

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3, 2009 550i
    Have an 09 550i and had similar issues. I my case, it was a battery starting to fail. Started with the " high battery drain" . then I'd get all kind of weird system glitches that seemed to be in modules that had nothing to do with each other. After a lot of research, I discovered that as the various modules boot, they are looking for very specific voltages. If they don't see them, they glitch. Point being, if you have something thats taking a lot of current on start up, it'll cause those kind of glitches. Your mention of the it taking a little longer to crank would cause those kind of issues. Also, I have to assume you " registered" the new battery. Also, something not going to " sleep " correctly could cause a high drain as well.

Hope it helps

My Cars
    E60 550i
    Thanks Synisalo ! I did register it multiple times now and have warrantied the battery twice after the new alternator my voltage is steady at about 14.3 i have no mods except a magnaflow exhaust and removed the secondary carbon air filter from the air box. I have checked all comfort access points to make sure they are not staying awake car seems to sleep and hold a charge perfectly. But like you stated i did mention the starter but that was so everyone would know every little thing that was going on with the vehicle

- - - Updated - - -

builtinbetter

My mistake i did not replace thw pedal assembly i borrowed another to see if it would fix the issue of no response. It didnt haha. it was a why not give it a shot sort of thing

My Cars
    2004 E60 545i
    Try replacing your IVM module .....
    ">'85 Mlite E30, '98 E36, 1998 528i, 5 spd manual, black on black, sold in 2012 and still going past 350Kkms, now MYSTIC Blue 2004 545i, 6 spd Steptr., Adaptive steering and Xenons, Anti dazzle mirrors. Aux+Belt-Chime+Dig speedo+iDrive discl. 2007 TCU+BT Coded+Sure BT Board

My Cars
    E60 550i
    Should have mentioned I did that one shortly after the second battery 😣 I'm stumped on this one

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3, 2009 550i
    You may want to try doing a amp draw reading on the starter while its trying to start. if the starter is going bad, and its drawing a very high amperage, it can also cause weird glitches. Easy to test.

My Cars
    E60 550i
    Thanks il do that next

My Cars
    750 F01, 850i, LR3 HSE
    What exactly are the faults in the DME, DSC and EGS? Please post and I should be able to assist you.

Mark.

My Cars
    E60 550i
    It has been a while since I've gotten it to throw faults so it's hard to remember. Meaning, as I lose throttle response no engine light comes on.

But when it was throwing faults

I would get numerous dsc faults

Under dme

Throttle valve potentiometer
    Differential pressure sensor intake manifold

It's hard to remember plus I only have my small scanner with me when I get to work tomorow I will do a full scan and let you know

My Cars
    '04 525i
    any water leaks into the cabin that cud cause some modules located under the carpet to get fried?just a thought....

My Cars
    E60 550i
    Since I have owned the car no leaks and I have checked the modules in the trunk they all tested fine

It still hasn't set a code

Lost throttle response completely two days ago and coasted for about a mile to get it to throw a code with no luck
    Shut it off and tired back up all was fine

So like I said I really don't know

My Cars
    E60 550i
    Engine management, interface

5f77

Is my latest code