RM European Auto Parts
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Resetting transmission adaptations

My Cars
    2001 325i; 2006 325i

Resetting transmission adaptations

Hey guys,

I want to try resetting my transmission adaptations, since I'm getting the stop-bump. My car is a 2006 325i (E90). I changed the fluid and filter and it's my understanding that an adaptations reset is recommended after a fluid change anyway. I found the procedure that is supposed to be followed after an adaptation reset and, honestly, it seems to be an impossible feat to accomplish. I mean, there's no way that I'm going to be able to find the length of street required to do all of the speeding up and slowing down and repeating necessary for the transmission to relearn. According to fcpeuro, failure to follow the procedure is detrimental to the gear box as well.

This is the procedure that I found...https://s3.amazonaws.com/fcp-creativ...Software+P.png

Am I to understand that after a dealership performs an adaptations reset on the transmission, a guy gets in the car and goes out and does this?

Any advise?

Thanks.

My Cars
    2001 325i; 2006 325i
    Perhaps the above is too vague. What I am asking is if the above referenced relearning procedure is necessary after resetting adaptations?

My Cars
    87 325is
    Reseting adaptations needs to be done via a BMW diag system. The transmission computer will learn new adaptations from ordinary driving over time. It looks to me like the procedure described is more for quickly re-adapting the transission.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Jim Levie, I am SO happy to see you here again!!!!

And Tony, never mind that stuff....Jim is absolutely correct (Of course!).

Clear the transmission adaptations, and just go drive the car in the way you normally drive it. There is no special recipe that you need to follow.

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471

My Cars
    2001 325i; 2006 325i
    Thanks a lot guys. I'm pretty new to BMWs and the little idiosyncrasies have me afraid of blowing something up. That little stop/bump I'm getting out of the transmission is driving me crazy and I don't know if it's because the fluid/filter was just way over due for a change or I have a bad seal or solenoids. I wanted to go ahead and reset the adaptations with my fingers crossed and hope that the fluid/filter change may just be what it needed. When the problem started, it just started happening. Nothing progressive or anything. Just at one stop sign, it wasn't doing it, then the next, I was like, "what the heck was that?"

Now I just have to find something to reset the adaptations with. I was going to go INPA and a cable, but from what I've gathered, it's really best to have a dedicated computer to run the software and I really just don't have the time to go messing with anything like that. I'd like to find a handheld unit capable of resetting the adaptations.

I've been looking at the Foxwell NT510. It's pretty cheap and is claimed to be able to do everything but drive the car for you. I just haven't been able to find a definitive answer on whether it can reset the tranny adaptations. Can you guys make a recommendation?

Again, thanks for the info and peace of mind.

My Cars
    98 M3 sedan
    Get the Schwaben tool from ecstuning it resets adaptations
    98 M3 sedan

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    The ECS "Schwaben" unit is a rebranded Foxwell unit. I haven't tried one, but it looks like it would be ideal for most needs, including clearing adaptations. Like most things these days, they're made in China.

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

My Cars
    98 M3 sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwdirtracer View Post
    The ECS "Schwaben" unit is a rebranded Foxwell unit. I haven't tried one, but it looks like it would be ideal for most needs, including clearing adaptations. Like most things these days, they're made in China.
    But the Schwaben has additional BMW features over the nt510. I've reset adaptations with mine along with register batteries etc
    98 M3 sedan

My Cars
    2001 325i; 2006 325i
    I understand that the Schwaben unit resets adaptations, but is that to say that the NT510 won't? I saw the Schwaben unit when I was looking around and also saw the bit about "additional BMW features," but that was pretty vague. I didn't know if it simply meant that the unit came preloaded with BMW software or that it meant that the Schwaben unit has additional capabilities. I couldn't find exactly what those "additional features" were. I did find a Foxwell blog that said that the only difference between the two was the color.

Oh well. If the NT510 won't do it, I'll have to order the Schwaben unit. It wouldn't be the first mistake I've made.

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    I've looked through a ton of ISTA documents and didn't find that routine described above in BMW's documentation. Not sure where it comes from.

Do you have a windows laptop? Some basic computer knowledge?
    -Abel

- E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods.
    - 2000 Z3: Many Mods.
    - 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg
    - 1999 S52 Estoril M Coupe
    - 2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 270hp/430ft-lbs
    - 2019 M2 Competition, self-tuned, 504whp
    - 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    When you look at the 'Reviews" at the ECS site, one guy states that he could get no updates or service from Foxwell, because it was a rebranded part. All that said, if one buys the Foxwell branded device, with BMW software, I'dtend to believe that it will be the exact same software as the ECS unit.

And, since we're discussing ECS/ "Schwaben", allow me to say that I, and the shop I work for, have bought four Schwaben tools.......and every one of them failed dramatically, within a week. I won't buy that brand again.

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Hmmmm, Abel......

Here's from FCP:
    https://www.fcpeuro.com/blog/posts/h...on-adaptations

I use Launch or Autologic for adaptation resets, because I can't ever find this in ISTA. Or, I recode the car, via ISTA, and it resets adaptations anyway....I think....

But hey, YOU are my computer guru, Abel, so please correct me if I'm wrong.

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

My Cars
    2001 325i; 2006 325i
    328 Power, thanks for the confirmation. I was searching for fixes to my problem and ran across a page from FCPEuro and they were talking about resetting adaptations after a fluid change or replacing hard parts. They further went on to say that it is better to skip resetting the adaptations than it is to reset adaptations without doing the relearn procedure, because failing to do the relearn procedure can lead to catastrophic results. I started this thread to ask because I really couldn't see the techs at a dealership performing a repair then hopping into the car to find a 20 mile stretch of roadway to perform the procedure on. I know I couldn't. I then thought about doing it off of the ground, but that scared the heck out of me and I just didn't see what the tranny would "learn" without the rolling resistance.

I do have a Windows laptop, but the ones I have are all, to some extent, mission critical for my business. I thought about buying a cheap laptop and getting a cable and ISTA or INPA or something of the nature, but considering the cost, I'd much prefer to have a small handheld unit if it can do the same thing. Most of my work is done in my (or a friend's) driveway. Having to pull out a laptop and powersupply just to run a quick scan can become a PITA pretty quickly.

Racer, it's very disheartening to hear that. I hope I have better luck with the Foxwell branded unit. The reviews I've seen/read indicate that it's worth the money. I just needed to try something. I just can't bring myself to pay someone just to reset the adaptations. Not that I'm against a guy making a living. I'm just not real big on paying someone to do something that I can do myself. Besides, having just bought 2 older BMWs, starting a new business, catching up on things like the house note, and having another kid getting ready to start college, I need to save where I can.

I do have a Carly and as a basic diagnostic tool, I guess it's ok. As for its other abilities, like resetting service intervals and such, I've spent more time emailing back and forth with them just to have them explain why some things don't work. Thus far, nothing has worked, other than diagnostics.

I really hope that this NT510 does what it says it will do and not crap out on me. If it doesn't work, I'm just going to have to bite the bullet and buy a laptop. I read someplace that the thing to get is an IBM T30 and put ISTA or INPA on it. I don't want to do it to one of my laptops because I've read that installing the BMW software kind of takes over the computer as though running that software is the computer's only reason for being.

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    I just have never seen that adaptation procedure in ISTA... doesn't mean it's not there, but I did spend 20+ minutes looking for it. Maybe FCPEuro knows something more. But with steady normal driving, the transmission will relearn. I've flashed a bunch of these with the Alpina transmission flash, and no one has ever made a big deal about the relearning procedure. People are tuning these transmissions now, from their Android phone (wow!), and not doing anything with adaptations relearn.

The reset, I'm sure it's there.
    -Abel

- E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods.
    - 2000 Z3: Many Mods.
    - 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg
    - 1999 S52 Estoril M Coupe
    - 2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 270hp/430ft-lbs
    - 2019 M2 Competition, self-tuned, 504whp
    - 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    98 M3 sedan
    When you look at the 'Reviews" at the ECS site, one guy states that he could get no updates or service from Foxwell, because it was a rebranded part. All that said, if one buys the Foxwell branded device, with BMW software, I'dtend to believe that it will be the exact same software as the ECS unit.

And, since we're discussing ECS/ "Schwaben", allow me to say that I, and the shop I work for, have bought four Schwaben tools.......and every one of them failed dramatically, within a week. I won't buy that brand again.
    I haven't had any problems with mine and love it. I don't think it will fail as your other Schwaben tools did. I'm hoping you're just giving "other" Schwaben tools a bad rap and not this tool. that wouldn't be fair considering you yourself said the scan tool was a rebranded Foxwell and should be fine.
    As for it having additional features. there's some thread on e90post.com that details what they are somewhere, but I just bought it over the Foxwell just in case it was true.
    98 M3 sedan

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    No Ben, I'm definitely NOT giving the scan tool a bad rap.....as I said, I've never used it. I also said that it looks like it will be ideal for most needs, including resetting adaptations.

The Schwaben brake pressure bleeder is absolute crap, and their very expensive on-car engine hanger is crap. After two of the bleeders breaking and leaking pressure within a day or two of putting them in service, I gave up, and ordered the Motive one, which has been working perfectly for a long time now. The hook for hanging the engine broke in half, the first use. Then the knobs started falling off the unit, one after another.

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

My Cars
    98 M3 sedan
    No Ben, I'm definitely NOT giving the scan tool a bad rap.....as I said, I've never used it. I also said that it looks like it will be ideal for most needs, including resetting adaptations.

The Schwaben brake pressure bleeder is absolute crap, and their very expensive on-car engine hanger is crap. After two of the bleeders breaking and leaking pressure within a day or two of putting them in service, I gave up, and ordered the Motive one, which has been working perfectly for a long time now. The hook for hanging the engine broke in half, the first use. Then the knobs started falling off the unit, one after another.
    Cool, Chris, thank you for the clarification. Your reputation on this board is so high and carries great weight so readers (myself included) trust you and your advice. therefore, I didn't want "this" Schwaben tool to get overlooked based on your experience with their other tools
    have a great rest of your weekend my friend.
    Last edited by ben4bama; 04-29-2017 at 05:02 PM.
    98 M3 sedan

My Cars
    2001 325i; 2006 325i
    Well, for better or worse, I have an NT510 on the way so I guess I'll see. As I said, I've done research and even looked for threads comparing the Foxwell to the Schwaben and most threads say that they are the same thing and there are some that make reference to the "additional BMW features" but not a single mention of there being something that the Schwaben will do that the NT510 won't, nor what those "additional BMW features" are. Fingers crossed.

Thanks again.

My Cars
    2001 525it
    Or you could just go to a local shop that has autologic or ista and have them reset it correctly

My Cars
    2001 325i; 2006 325i
    What do you mean by "reset it correctly?" Resetting with a relearn? Or is there something incorrect about doing it with a handheld?

My Cars
    98 M3 sedan
    Tony, I'm sure your Foxwell will reset just fine. It just clears the current adaptation so it will relearn. Don't sweat your purchase.
    98 M3 sedan

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    +1. I've never had any issue after clearing adaptations. Realistically, you don't even have to do this....the computer constantly adapts anyway; it will find it's own happy spot, in reaction to the fluid change, in very few miles.

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

My Cars
    2001 325i; 2006 325i
    If it constantly adapts, then it should have done so already since the fluid change. I suppose that the bump/stop I'm getting is a sign that I definitely have something wrong with my transmission. Likely seal(s) and/or solenoids. Crud.

Thanks for all of the info guys.

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Hmmm, actually, maybe not. I seem to remember a Service Bulletin, calling for a software update, for a harsh 2-1 downshift, around this era. What gearbox do you have, GM or ZF ?

EDIT: And, do you have any engine, trans, or ABS codes?
    Last edited by bmwdirtracer; 05-01-2017 at 06:33 AM.

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

My Cars
    2001 325i; 2006 325i
    No tans or ABS codes, but my Carly is kicking back codes related to the eccentric shaft sensor. I have no lights and the car runs fine, so I've been holding off on the sensor. Had other more pressing things to take care of. I have the ZF 6hp19 tranny according to realoem and visually confirmed.

As for the software update, I thought about that. If it was software, wouldn't it have been doing it the whole time? It just started a few weeks ago.
    Last edited by TonyAngel; 05-01-2017 at 11:18 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast