Thread: E36 Sunroof Delete Panel using stock unit?

My Cars
    323is Coupe

E36 Sunroof Delete Panel using stock unit?

Curious if anyone has tried deleting the sunroof and using the stock panel to close it up after taking the whole assembly and motor out. These aftermarket delete panels are pretty expensive and before I spend the money i'm trying this..

My Cars
    1991 BMW 325i Sedan
    There's a project in this forum where the guy uses the stock panel and many other posts about it. It would save a few pounds and if it is for street use I would rather use the original panel which is way stronger than the fiber ones. Not talking about security, but against those who like to take for free other's properties. xD

Here´s the link:

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...Sunroof-Delete

Cheers!
    Last edited by Dekoninck; 04-27-2017 at 05:35 AM.

My Cars
    99 328is, 03 X5
    Brackets welded to hold the original panel in place.

Clear sealant to seal the panel on the roof, water would pool inside when it rained, and drop on me when I went to drive it. I could trim the excess sealant down now that it has cured, but I don't really care.

My Cars
    E36
    ^^ That's exactly what I'll be doing to our racecar.
    BMW CCA Illini Chapter Vice President
    1995 M3
    - My Favorite DIY's and FAQ's

My Cars
    1995 BMW 328
    ^ Doesn't look structurally secure. Pretty sure I have seen people choose steel rod of a suitable diameter to bridge the gap between roof and panel flanges and weld to both which would be strong.
    No warranty of any kind implied or given and no liability for any loss, damage or injury, no matter how incurred accepted.

My Cars
    1998 M3 Vert, 1992 318i
    Quote Originally Posted by E36328Coupe View Post
    ^ Doesn't look structurally secure. Pretty sure I have seen people choose steel rod of a suitable diameter to bridge the gap between roof and panel flanges and weld to both which would be strong.
    This.

You'd be much better off finding flat stock that fits that gap and doing a double butt weld across the gap than using the straps. The straps are much more likely to fatigue and crack with the flexing of the car.
    Caprica Junkie

My Cars
    99 328is, 03 X5
    The panel does not move or make a peep @ 120 mph+ while cornering. I wouldn't over think it, water has been the only issue in over a year, and that has been addressed.

My Cars
    1995 BMW 328
    I would, if you fold the car up that could take your head off
    No warranty of any kind implied or given and no liability for any loss, damage or injury, no matter how incurred accepted.

My Cars
    99 328is, 03 X5
    Quote Originally Posted by E36328Coupe View Post
    I would, if you fold the car up that could take your head off
    If you are going roof first into a tree or pole to cause a roof, which was reinforced considerably to even have a sunroof in the first place, to fold (decapitation is impossible from this seating position) you have bigger issues to worry about. I understand the notion to spout out gut feelings without evidence, but c'mon now, dont be ridiculous. Or do, its your call of course.

My Cars
    1995 BMW 328
    Car manufacturers don't add additional reinforcing because of a sunroof hole. They do the minimum to carry the tray weight. Reason, the roof skin isn't rigid anyway in a car without a sunroof ,you lose nothing making the hole. See who's ridiculous now.

Because of the use of straps rather than the panel and roof skin flanges being welded together (with packing pieces) the sunroof panel will clearly dislodge if the shell is distorted, it would not need to be an extreme amount to do so, and if it pops out in an accident where it ends up is anyone's guess.
    Last edited by E36328Coupe; 04-27-2017 at 05:46 PM.

My Cars
    1998 M3 Vert, 1992 318i
    Quote Originally Posted by Team Neverlift View Post
    The panel does not move or make a peep @ 120 mph+ while cornering. I wouldn't over think it, water has been the only issue in over a year, and that has been addressed.
    I'm not over thinking it, I just know stress cracks don't make noise. It's also funny to think you could hear that through a helmet in a race prepped car going that speed, if you could it would surely already be broken.

Quote Originally Posted by Team Neverlift View Post

If you are going roof first into a tree or pole to cause a roof, which was reinforced considerably to even have a sunroof in the first place, to fold (decapitation is impossible from this seating position) you have bigger issues to worry about. I understand the notion to spout out gut feelings without evidence, but c'mon now, dont be ridiculous. Or do, its your call of course.
    Now this I agree with, though the comment about gut feelings made me laugh coming from someone with "Stubborn Approach Racing" as their tag
    Caprica Junkie