Thread: AC not working after Radiator hose failure?

My Cars
    2006 BMW 525i

AC not working after Radiator hose failure?

Hi there-- 06 525I, ~114k miles. Thermostat and water pump were replaced with new a little less than 2 years ago. Yesterday my upper radiator hose sprung a leak although I couldn't see that is what the problem was at first. I dropped it at the shop after getting the low coolant warning and seeing the level in the reservoir low: I put in some DI water and there was some level in the reservoir. The shop (indy german shop) replaced the upper and lower hoses, and replaced the coolant. Now the AC is warm air only. Is there any chance the thermostat/water pump have gone bad AGAIN as a result of this or is there a "simple" solution that might have been inadvertently missed/triggered in this repair process? Hoping for the best!

Thanks,
    Tim

My Cars
    2001 525it
    Left something unplugged?

My Cars
    2002 530i
    Quote Originally Posted by raqtastic View Post
    Hi there-- 06 525I, ~114k miles. Thermostat and water pump were replaced with new a little less than 2 years ago. Yesterday my upper radiator hose sprung a leak although I couldn't see that is what the problem was at first. I dropped it at the shop after getting the low coolant warning and seeing the level in the reservoir low: I put in some DI water and there was some level in the reservoir. The shop (indy german shop) replaced the upper and lower hoses, and replaced the coolant. Now the AC is warm air only. Is there any chance the thermostat/water pump have gone bad AGAIN as a result of this or is there a "simple" solution that might have been inadvertently missed/triggered in this repair process? Hoping for the best!

Thanks,
    Tim
    If the car was overheating the air conditioning system may have over pressurized and released the freon

My Cars
    E60 550i
    Front fan activating ?

My Cars
    2006 BMW 525i
    So, my worst fear was that the thermostat or water pump had gone bad as a result of the low coolant and I'd be out $1500 or something (these were done ~2 years ago under used car warranty when I bought the car). My HOPE was what the 1st response indicated- something silly like a plug not securely plugged in. Turns out it was even sillier. The giveaway that we were missing something was that if you hit the "Max AC" button, the air instantly got cold. So that proved the AC itself was not the problem. Took it back to the shop, he poked around for anything obvious for about 2 minutes, scanned codes and found nothing, then poked around in the climate control settings and found that the temperature controls had been turned up to 3 bars warm. Hand to god I didn't even know that was a thing and I've had this car for 2 years. So things I learned: my car has an ultra-secret temp control setting that makes the driver/passenger temp setting knobs moot if you set a temperature of cold while you have the air temp set to warm. Makes perfect sense! So I will hang my head in shame.

TL;DR version: RTFM, Noob

Thanks for the replies!

My Cars
    1998 528i; 2000 540i;
    Yeah. I froze for part of a winter when we got our 530xi until I figured out that the vent settings had to have red bars in the belly of the driver on the drive. I guess that that's the computer version of the E39 wheel with the blue and red dots on it for controlling the air through the console
    gmak: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly. A journey with my new-to-me 2000 540i

"Working on a BMW E39 is the best way to run out of time."