Thread: Alcantara Trim...

My Cars
    4 BMWs.

Alcantara Trim...

My car came with this "custom" made trim. I'm looking to trade it if anyone is interested.

This is not a sale thread, just wondering if anyone has seen anything like this before?
    2001 Z3 3.0i -Oxford Green/Sandbeige
    2016 428xi -Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 430iC- Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 330it - Melbourne Red/Venetian Beige/Black

My Cars
    01 750il, E38/9 Parts
    I dig it, it looks pretty good

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
    --- 750il Maintenance/Restoration Thread --- E38/9 Parts Cars --- YouTube Channel ---

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    Contact DKing09 (think I got his name right) since he's always selling a complete set of various trims.

My Cars
    W220 S55 AMG, E39 540i6
    I've seen those sets on eBay. Interesting for sure. Just not sure it belongs in an e39

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Chris
    -------------------------------------
    04 Mercedes S55 AMG
    97 BMW 540i6

My Cars
    Formerly 03' 540i
    Quote Originally Posted by auaq View Post
    Contact DKing09 (think I got his name right) since he's always selling a complete set of various trims.
    Close enough XD
    2003 BMW 540i [Sterling Gray / Gray]
    [Msport] [Mods from A-Z] [Two-Tone Interior]

Stuff For Sale :
    All types of E39 OEM Used HVAC Buttons
    Other E39 Parts, see my ebay! [Click]

My Cars
    '05 X3, 97 540i/6
    BMW = Break My Wallet

My Cars
    4 BMWs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dking078 View Post
    Close enough XD
    What does this Maplewood trim for $150.00 look like? damage?

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    A few weeks ago, I missed a perfect set of technical graphite trims that sold for 120 bucks on the local Craigslist out here. The guy literally sold it 15 mins before he got my email.
    Set the controls for the heart of the sun

My Cars
    96 ACS S3 CLS, 02 540iA
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmrMeUpSnotty View Post
    A few weeks ago, I missed a perfect set of technical graphite trims that sold for 120 bucks on the local Craigslist out here. The guy literally sold it 15 mins before he got my email.
    Last Fall I was at the LKQ Pick Your Part in Jessup. Came across a silver 540i with a clean black interior that had a perfect set of technical graphite trim. Was a guy picking through the car already that got there 5 min before I did and had already started pulling the trim. Don't think he really knew what it was though...I talked to him and he didn't sound like an enthusiast. Was just grabbing that trim because it was in better shape than the wood in his car. If only I was 10 minutes earlier. I'm sure he got if all for a steal too... FML
    Alvin Caragay
    Mpire Automotive (https://www.facebook.com/MpireAutomotive/)
    '96 AC Schnitzer S3 Sport CLS Replica (https://www.facebook.com/ACSS3SportCLSR)
    '02 E39 540iAT

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    You know, there is a junkyard that specializes in European cars out in Fredrick, MD. Fredrick is like 15 minutes away from me, just across the river. I have just never taken the time to check it out. I'm gonna keep that in mind, maybe for this weekend or the next. I'm always busy doing something, but if I put my mind on it, I could squeeze in a morning, I'm gonna try.

My Cars
    4 BMWs.
    You know, there is a junkyard that specializes in European cars out in Fredrick, MD. Fredrick is like 15 minutes away from me, just across the river. I have just never taken the time to check it out. I'm gonna keep that in mind, maybe for this weekend or the next. I'm always busy doing something, but if I put my mind on it, I could squeeze in a morning, I'm gonna try.
    Sometimes you hit gold in those places, but sometimes things are gone over with a fine tooth comb.

My Cars
    325ix, 325ix, 540i
    Really? What's the name of the place?
    If your e30 runs bad, switch to Megasquirt first. Then try new spark plugs, cap and rotor, wires, oxygen sensor, crank shaft position sensor, coolant temp sensor, air flow meter, idle control valve, throttle position sensor, digital motor electronics unit, harmonic balancer, fuel injectors, engine harness...

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Quote Originally Posted by amancuso View Post
    Sometimes you hit gold in those places, but sometimes things are gone over with a fine tooth comb.
    Sometimes the guy who gets there before you breaks the trim not knowing out to take it off then leaves it there all ruined for you to get pizzed off about.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    Quote Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
    Really? What's the name of the place?
    Potomac German Auto
    4305 Lime Kiln Rd, Frederick, MD 21703

301) 428-8239

http://www.pgauto.com/

It doesn't show weekend schedules, give them a call.

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    Man, just called them, their schedule blows, closed on the weekends.

M-F 8am to 5pm

My Cars
    '87 e30, '02 e39 Dinan
    Man, just called them, their schedule blows, closed on the weekends.

M-F 8am to 5pm
    how the hell does that work for anyone i need to get over there and see what they have.
    Capital Driving Club Car # 102
    How to turbo your car:
    Step one. Install ecu and learn to tune and or have it tuned.
    Step two. Install injectors and retune.
    Step three. Install turbo parts and bits. get it running with out leaks. DO NOT DRIVE IT. Idling should be ok
    Step four. Retune car
    Step five enjoy

My Cars
    4 BMWs.
    Quote Originally Posted by euro2fast4u View Post
    how the hell does that work for anyone i need to get over there and see what they have.
    I can tell you what they don't have... Alcantara trim. :-P

My Cars
    '87 e30, '02 e39 Dinan
    That "alcantra" trim is fake suede some one snagged from joann fabrics and glued to the old trim. You can wrap all the trim in about an hour for 20 bucks.

The fake suede fades just like that. (my dash in the e30 was wrapped in it, and while it was garaged it stayed perfect, the uv destroys the fake crap)

Real alcantra is 108 a yard, 250 bucks to wrap an e30 dash for fabric only
    How to turbo your car:
    Step three. Install turbo parts and bits. get it running with out leaks. DO NOT DRIVE IT. Idling should be ok
    Step four. Retune car
    Step five enjoy

My Cars
    2003 540i6
    That "alcantra" trim is fake suede some one snagged from joann fabrics and glued to the old trim. You can wrap all the trim in about an hour for 20 bucks.

The fake suede fades just like that. (my dash in the e30 was wrapped in it, and while it was garaged it stayed perfect, the uv destroys the fake crap)

I recently wrapped mine like that. How long did it take to fade? I tried finding pics of faded fake suede but came up empty handed. I could only find internet legends from guys who knew a guy. -You're the first direct source I've come across. Any pics? Apparently no one wants to take pics of faded fake suede interiors.

My rear parcel shelf was faded purple when I got my car, but some shoe polish corrected that. -It Looks great now. I imagine the same method would apply to the fake suede too, but the trim would be much easier to remove than the shelf.
    2003 540i/6

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    Shoot, at least you live in Fredrick, maybe get out there and snag me some stuff before they close during the week...... I work til 5 out in Dulles.

- - - Updated - - -

By the way, we're neighbors!

My Cars
    '87 e30, '02 e39 Dinan
    Quote Originally Posted by waters17 View Post
    I recently wrapped mine like that. How long did it take to fade? I tried finding pics of faded fake suede but came up empty handed. I could only find internet legends from guys who knew a guy. -You're the first direct source I've come across. Any pics? Apparently no one wants to take pics of faded fake suede interiors.

My rear parcel shelf was faded purple when I got my car, but some shoe polish corrected that. -It Looks great now. I imagine the same method would apply to the fake suede too, but the trim would be much easier to remove than the shelf.
    since i left the forums since tech died ive given up on taking pictures. I did it 7 years ago. the car was in the garage for 5 years. and faded roughly 6 months out side. once it fades it likes old and tired. I just removed the fake suede and have been cleaning the dash with acetone to remove the old glue. Even the glue has failed after that long (3m super 77 i think, ive heard there is a better one in the 90 range that works the best)

Been stashing crap on flickr now

20170305_161001 by euro2fast4u, on Flickr

ignore the shit show

20160313_144330 by euro2fast4u, on Flickr

20160313_144320 by euro2fast4u, on Flickr

20160313_144310 by euro2fast4u, on Flickr

20160214_152041 by euro2fast4u, on Flickr

This fabric was about 10 bucks a yard. and went from black, to purple ish to grey. it felt ok after this long, it just wasnt black anymore.

If i was to do it again i may try uv spray. However ive been in contact with the alcantra guys and plan on buying some fabric from them shortly.
    Last edited by euro2fast4u; 04-28-2017 at 01:37 PM.
    How to turbo your car:
    Step four. Retune car
    Step five enjoy

My Cars
    4 BMWs.

I know it's fake and I know someone did it. I just don't want it and I know some people don't want to do it themselves. The above quote was just a joke for fun.

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Well. Alcantara is by definition "fake suede". Some of the cheaper 'synthetic suede leathers' are basically identical and pretty much just as good, just aren't branded with "Alcantara".
    Others are indeed cheap, and shortcut on the recipe as well as probably (this would be harder to tell) things about the processing - the 'feel' of the cut rate ones isn't quite as nice either, I think they tend to have more 'direction' on the texture (aka if you touch it it shows more, which is annoying as it constantly looks messy unless you've 'brushed' it and it hasn't been touched) . The fading would be because they cheap-out on UV additives to the fiber resins. Its just like "Polartech" branded fleece material vs cheaper fleeces... some are high quality but aren't the "#1 brand", others are indeed cheap, but they're all based on variations of the same core fiber/resin recipes.

I've seen exactly what you describe before for the cheap stuff for sure - the black->purple->gray evolution sounds exactly right, I've seen really ugly gray-purple suedes in the junkyard that were supposed to be black. .

Even the real Alcant I think can fade somewhat over years but I'm talking more like 15yr old Audi or ZHP interiors that have been in the sun most of that time, and its not nearly as dramatic as the "black->purple->gray" evolution you describe, more like slightly faded black->gray. The expensive stuff for sure is pretty good. My shift boots have been in the sun a crapload (uh, like shift/brake boot in convertible?) and they are still exactly the orig dark gray color.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

My Cars
    z3
    Afaik I was the first to do Alcantara trim, did it in 09 ish, back when nobody even knew where to buy Alcantara. Have a few pics on M5board, I also had an Alcantara steering wheel, shift boot/knob and ebrake boot/knob. I started with a black seude then didnt like that it didnt match the headliner so I bought the real deal (big bucks) and re-wrapped it. Re-wrapped all but the center console. Sold the M5 to a guy on the East Coast NE area somewhere. I know he ripped it out of his car. Im wondering if thats my trim in your car, the center console being a different color looks like a bit of a giveaway.

If the center console and other trims dont match like the picture indicates Im interested in buying it outright. I really do think that could be mine, and with me now actually really getting into upholstery - partly after my interest in it started with that M5 - itd be cool to come full circle and buy the "first" trim I did. Plus if its mine its far from perfect...

Fwiw since people were talking about it, I also do sell genuine Alcantara and I am the cheapest US source for it. I also have auto-grade UV-resistant seudes and the OE seude bolster material from mid-90's BMWs...
    Real Alcantara also does not sun fade, seudes that are not UV treated will usually bleach, causing a loss of pigment usually turning them a slightly purple/pink color

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    4 BMWs.
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    Afaik I was the first to do Alcantara trim, did it in 09 ish, back when nobody even knew where to buy Alcantara. Have a few pics on M5board, I also had an Alcantara steering wheel, shift boot/knob and ebrake boot/knob. I started with a black seude then didnt like that it didnt match the headliner so I bought the real deal (big bucks) and re-wrapped it. Re-wrapped all but the center console. Sold the M5 to a guy on the East Coast NE area somewhere. I know he ripped it out of his car. Im wondering if thats my trim in your car, the center console being a different color looks like a bit of a giveaway.

If the center console and other trims dont match like the picture indicates Im interested in buying it outright. I really do think that could be mine, and with me now actually really getting into upholstery - partly after my interest in it started with that M5 - itd be cool to come full circle and buy the "first" trim I did. Plus if its mine its far from perfect...

Fwiw since people were talking about it, I also do sell genuine Alcantara and I am the cheapest US source for it. I also have auto-grade UV-resistant seudes and the OE seude bolster material from mid-90's BMWs...
    Real Alcantara also does not sun fade, seudes that are not UV treated will usually bleach, causing a loss of pigment usually turning them a slightly purple/pink color
    I have no idea if it's your trim or not. The original trim under the wrap looks like Vavona wood.
    Here's some pics I took of it. It's def. faded as you can see the back parts are much darker than the front.