Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Exhaust recommendations

My Cars
    95 s/c 2.8l, 98 528

Exhaust recommendations

I have a 95 840ci and the stock exhaust just isn't cutting it for me. Its damn near silent and I want to hear that v8. I would like a nice sounding idle and throaty acceleration with minimal drone at highway speeds, nothing crazy or obnoxious just something that gives it a voice and improves flow. I have seen plenty of youtube clips of custom exhaust but no one ever lists the mufflers, piping size etc. I'm not looking to buy an off the shelf system, mostly due to the cost. If I can narrow down a decent muffler and xpipe combo with the right size pipe there are quite a few affordable shops in the area i trust to do the work. As for piping size I also want to allow room to breath with the jaguar supercharger setup so thinking I may want to bump it up from stock, currently still in the mock up phase so not anywhere near installation yet but would rather do the exhaust only once. With all that said I am open to suggestions, sound clips greatly appreciated.
    95 325- s/c S50 01 X5-daily 95 840ci- boost incoming

Pelican Parts is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '02 E39 Touring
    Unfortunately I do not have sound clips, but I would look at the Remus and Supersprint setups. Both really solid exhausts.

-Dmitry
    Your Trusted Source For DIY and Parts
    FREE SHIPPING over $99 click here
    BMW Parts | DIY Tech Articles | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube | Promos
    888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST

My Cars
    '92 850i 6-speed (SOLD)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelican Parts View Post
    Unfortunately I do not have sound clips, but I would look at the Remus and Supersprint setups. Both really solid exhausts.

-Dmitry
    I'm curious about this as well. I just looked at the Remus website and they don't even list an E31. They stop at the 7 series. Am missing something?

Pelican Parts is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '02 E39 Touring
    Quote Originally Posted by Sniff38 View Post
    I'm curious about this as well. I just looked at the Remus website and they don't even list an E31. They stop at the 7 series. Am missing something?

That's odd - I have definitely seen a Remus exhaust on the 8 series and there are a few videos out there with it on as well. I'm guessing it was discontinued; sorry about that!
    Your Trusted Source For DIY and Parts
    FREE SHIPPING over $99 click here
    BMW Parts | DIY Tech Articles | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube | Promos
    888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST

My Cars
    95 s/c 2.8l, 98 528
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelican Parts View Post

-Dmitry
    I appreciate the suggestions however I am more looking for information on custom setups and not the off the shelf options, supersprint is definitely way out of budget.

My Cars
    1993 e32
    I always loved my eisenmann on my e32, but I only used the rear box, not a full system
    Last edited by tepescovir; 04-26-2017 at 03:42 PM.

My Cars
    99 840ci Sport Indv
    Don't lose the resonator - it is, in effect, an X-pipe, just one that gets rid of drone. All the great sounds can be achieved by changing the rear boxes only. I recommend this as someone who lost the resonators and gained an X-pipe!
    Timm..2007 E64 650i Individual Sport..1999 E31 840ci Individual Sport..ex owner of 2000 E38 740..1999 E38 740i V8 M62..1998 E38 735i V8..1993 E32 730i V8..1988 E28 518i

My BMW Repair YouTube Channel
    My Current 840ci Sport Individual
    My Current 650ci Sport Individual
    My E31 Repair and Information Website
    My E38 Repair and Information Website
    My E63/E64 Repair and Information Website

Chase - Heroes to a generation

My Cars
    95 s/c 2.8l, 98 528
    Quote Originally Posted by Timm View Post
    Don't lose the resonator - it is, in effect, an X-pipe, just one that gets rid of drone. All the great sounds can be achieved by changing the rear boxes only. I recommend this as someone who lost the resonators and gained an X-pipe!
    So you are saying with your X pipe you have a good bit of drone? I had considered doing just the rear mufflers and keeping the rest of the stock exhaust piping however with boost in mind I could see the rest of the factory system being a restriction. Do you happen to have any video of yours? What mufflers did you end up using?

My Cars
    Supercharged 850ci
    I have X pipe with mufflers and have 0 drone.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 740i
    I went the full custom route. Running a magnaflow muffler with internal x-pipe in the stock resonator location, with two smaller magnaflow silencers where the factory mufflers were. Zero drone as well. Bonus is it's only mildly louder than stock at idle and cruise but a complete animal at WOT.

IMG_2817.jpg

My Cars
    840Ci/6 528iT Europa TCS
    I may have bought the last Remus e31 exhaust. It's not very loud and the rear tips look a little weird. I like the sound but I would prefer stock tips.
    Eisenmann is distributed by IND distribution group about two miles from me. They were very hard to work with and very expensive. Eisenmann offered me free installation and they were still about $500.00 more than the Remus. They have a sport and race exhaust.
    Another route is to look at Burns Stainless in Costa Mesa CA. if you want to put together your own custom system. I saw their stuff on an XJ220in a shop nearby and it looked like nice stuff.

My Cars
    koenig ks8 /e31 850c
    Quote Originally Posted by tepescovir View Post
    I always loved my eisenmann on my e32, but I only used the rear box, not a full system
    Eisenmann only make rear boxes for e31, nothing else.
    image.jpeg

My Cars
    95 s/c 2.8l, 98 528
    That sounds like exactly what I was thinking about doing. Something like this?
    Muffler?
    https://www.magnaflow.com/products?partNumber=12568
    Silencers?
    https://www.magnaflow.com/products?partNumber=18146

Did you go with 2 1/2" piping?

Quote Originally Posted by rotomoto712 View Post
    I went the full custom route. Running a magnaflow muffler with internal x-pipe in the stock resonator location, with two smaller magnaflow silencers where the factory mufflers were. Zero drone as well. Bonus is it's only mildly louder than stock at idle and cruise but a complete animal at WOT.

IMG_2817.jpg
    Last edited by 325isBoosted; 04-27-2017 at 10:34 AM.

My Cars
    93 850Ci, 09 Caddy SRX
    Quote Originally Posted by rjbaren View Post
    Another route is to look at Burns Stainless in Costa Mesa CA. if you want to put together your own custom system. I saw their stuff on an XJ220in a shop nearby and it looked like nice stuff.
    Thx for the suggestion. I'm fairly close to CM.
    1993 850Ci.....18 years & 165,000 miles and counting!

tvjake2 is offline SoCalEights - CA BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    '97 840Ci, 1980 308
    I have two Magnaflow's with stock resonator. It has a drone under 2000 rpm, can't seem to get rid of it. It has a nice rumble at idle and a nice sound on acceleration. As long as it's over 2000 rpm things are good. If you want this option, it's probably the least expensive, then you will need to choose the muffler according to pipe size and length. There are a few choices.

My Cars
    1995 840ci
    I also have two Magnaflow's with stock resonator but with an X-pipe. Great sound and no issues with droning

https://youtu.be/SgRaC1Vdoes

tvjake2 is offline SoCalEights - CA BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    '97 840Ci, 1980 308
    Quote Originally Posted by larrystiver View Post
    I also have two Magnaflow's with stock resonator but with an X-pipe. Great sound and no issues with droning

https://youtu.be/SgRaC1Vdoes
    That sounds awesome. Is the X-pipe behind the resonator. Pic?

My Cars
    '95 840Ci/6, F36, E89
    My resonator was toast, so I replaced it with this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000XQO0VG

I used these mufflers:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CCDO22

End result -- great sounding V-8 goodness :-)

My Cars
    1995 840ci
    I put the x-pipe before the resonator. Have to be honest that x-pipe did not really enhance the sound (may have reduced the very little drone I originally had which is almost zero driving in S4 everywhere but highway) or have a noticeable difference in power. In fact it's a good chance that video was without the x-pipe.

My Cars
    1991 850i S70 6 speed
    I second this......you have been warned, major drone if you get rid of resonator. Ask me how I know. If you are redoing everything get some walker cats and magnaflows.

Quote Originally Posted by Timm View Post
    - - - Updated - - -

Dragon, your is 850SC and his is 840. I know you like my 840ci sound but at a certain rpm drone is very bad.

Quote Originally Posted by dragon850 View Post
    I have X pipe with mufflers and have 0 drone.

My Cars
    1991 850i S70 6 speed
    BTW, I have a full custom cat back 1997 840ci exhaust with Flow masters (used) for sale if your interested. I also have the cat converters as well in really good condition which I will be selling separately (OEM and good condition)

Quote Originally Posted by 325isBoosted View Post
    I have a 95 840ci and the stock exhaust just isn't cutting it for me. Its damn near silent and I want to hear that v8. I would like a nice sounding idle and throaty acceleration with minimal drone at highway speeds, nothing crazy or obnoxious just something that gives it a voice and improves flow. I have seen plenty of youtube clips of custom exhaust but no one ever lists the mufflers, piping size etc. I'm not looking to buy an off the shelf system, mostly due to the cost. If I can narrow down a decent muffler and xpipe combo with the right size pipe there are quite a few affordable shops in the area i trust to do the work. As for piping size I also want to allow room to breath with the jaguar supercharger setup so thinking I may want to bump it up from stock, currently still in the mock up phase so not anywhere near installation yet but would rather do the exhaust only once. With all that said I am open to suggestions, sound clips greatly appreciated.

My Cars
    97 850CI
    I have the factory resonator with a pair of Remus mufflers. It is a little louder than stock, with no drone. Like rjbaron said, the tips are are a departure from stock, but I am ok with that.

20140524_205615.jpg
    Desecrator of all things Sacred

My Cars
    95 s/c 2.8l, 98 528
    Quote Originally Posted by alex840 View Post
    BTW, I have a full custom cat back 1997 840ci exhaust with Flow masters (used) for sale if your interested. I also have the cat converters as well in really good condition which I will be selling separately (OEM and good condition)
    Pretty sure shipping would be outrageous on that but thanks for the offer.
    As of right now I think Im going to give Roto's setup a try, pricing it through a few local shops to see what the damage will be. Whatever i decide I will definitely include sound clips of the result, not enough of those floating around it seems.

My Cars
    1991 BMW 850i Coupe
    I see that a lot of the comments are in reference to the 840 V8, while I am concerned with my 1991 BMW 850i with the M70 V12 engine and automatic transmission. As much as possible, I would prefer to have an exhaust setup that is as quiet as factory original... BUT, I would accept a bit more response if necessary due to no other options. I would like to consider replacing from the headers back... in other words, the two catalytic converters, the center resonator and the two rear mufflers. If possible, I'd like to also take the staggered placement tips from my old mufflers and re-use them for appearance sake with the new mufflers.

Can anyone recommend a "set-up" or brand name and model # grouping for these FIVE major components (or suitable substitutes) for me to obtain a restored sense of a nice, quiet ride for my 850. I appreciate anything that anyone can do to help me with this dilemma. Standard steel will be fine, stainless still would be better, but I really don't want to spend a King's ransom on a new exhaust system. Thanks again... and you can phone or text if you'd like at 702-435-4005. John Scott

My Cars
    1998 BMW 740i
    Quote Originally Posted by johnescottii View Post
    I see that a lot of the comments are in reference to the 840 V8, while I am concerned with my 1991 BMW 850i with the M70 V12 engine and automatic transmission. As much as possible, I would prefer to have an exhaust setup that is as quiet as factory original... BUT, I would accept a bit more response if necessary due to no other options. I would like to consider replacing from the headers back... in other words, the two catalytic converters, the center resonator and the two rear mufflers. If possible, I'd like to also take the staggered placement tips from my old mufflers and re-use them for appearance sake with the new mufflers.

Can anyone recommend a "set-up" or brand name and model # grouping for these FIVE major components (or suitable substitutes) for me to obtain a restored sense of a nice, quiet ride for my 850. I appreciate anything that anyone can do to help me with this dilemma. Standard steel will be fine, stainless still would be better, but I really don't want to spend a King's ransom on a new exhaust system. Thanks again... and you can phone or text if you'd like at 702-435-4005. John Scott
    John, I too have an 850i (albeit with 6spd), and my aforementioned setup replaces everything from the factory headers rearward. I used 2.5" all the way back. The center muffler is Magnaflow 12568, the two rear resonators are Magnaflow 10416. I had some flanges made by Wokke that mount to the factory header. I then used a 2-1 merge collector (2"-2.5") and various bends from there. Lastly, I modified the center muffler to clear the center brace to allow the muffler to be pulled closer to the body. All in, it took me a few weekends to get it right, but the results are tremendous; Very smooth very crisp sound, no drone, deep rumble at idle.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast