Thread: Wagon Recomendations

My Cars
    300zx TT

Wagon Recomendations

Hi, I have recently started looking at getting a 3 series wagon. A little background on myself, I own a 300zx turbo manual quite modified and an MR2 turbo manual. As long as I can remember my father has owned modified Volvo turbo R wagons and currently owns a modified Audi Avant V8 wagon. I have a hard time getting a car and not modifying it but plan on keeping the BMW somewhat stock. Probably wheels, coils, and a front lip.... with that said I am really looking for an auto with paddle shifters. I've been told the BMW auto shifts very fast as I was not impressed at all with the Audi my father has. Looking for something used in the $10-25k range.

So with that said I have done a bit of searching and cant pin down all the changes over the years with the wagon. I find a lot for the sedan specs but it seems like the wagon isn't a 1:1 comparison as far as engine and packages. I've found out I need the sport package and it seems like the auto is upgraded for the 2013 year. Thanks for any help or thoughts!

My Cars
    335d, 328xd (had 330xi)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaiden9 View Post
    Hi, I have recently started looking at getting a 3 series wagon. A little background on myself, I own a 300zx turbo manual quite modified and an MR2 turbo manual. As long as I can remember my father has owned modified Volvo turbo R wagons and currently owns a modified Audi Avant V8 wagon. I have a hard time getting a car and not modifying it but plan on keeping the BMW somewhat stock. Probably wheels, coils, and a front lip.... with that said I am really looking for an auto with paddle shifters. I've been told the BMW auto shifts very fast as I was not impressed at all with the Audi my father has. Looking for something used in the $10-25k range.

So with that said I have done a bit of searching and cant pin down all the changes over the years with the wagon. I find a lot for the sedan specs but it seems like the wagon isn't a 1:1 comparison as far as engine and packages. I've found out I need the sport package and it seems like the auto is upgraded for the 2013 year. Thanks for any help or thoughts!
    You've posted in the E9x (wagon is E91) forum. First E91 model year is 2007, last was 2011 (or might be 2012). All E91 were 328i (many with xDrive AWD) and most were autos. The auto used was the ZF6HP19, a 6 speed. On xDrive models, sport seats and some exterior touches were the differences the Sports package brought; only on RWD did you get a different suspension. Fortunately, you're not looking for a MT RWD wagon, of which there are very very few - probably less than a thousand in the USA.

On shift speed, the newer ZF8HP transmissions have a 200ms shift speed, as all F31 wagons are "Sport" wagons and have the transmission programming for that speed. The 6HP19 in the E91 is an excellent transmission (not sure what shift speed is), but BMW improved the programming further for the 8HP. You might be able to find an F31 for $25K, haven't looked at prices (new ones are very pricey, btw.) All F31 wagons are xDrive.

My Cars
    300zx TT
    Floyd, thanks. Yes I meant to post here as it seems like the bulk of my searching has been in that model range due to the price. So the 6HP is in the E91(2007-2012) and the 8HP is in the F31(2013-). I can look to compare shift speed through some googling but that's really helpful.

My Cars
    2006 325xi Sportwagon
    I have a 2006 325xi Wagon. And that was the first year the E91 was available in the USA. The 325xi uses the zf transmission. In 2007, the 328 E91 arrived, using a GM automatic transmission.
    Last edited by cochise325; 04-26-2017 at 07:56 PM.

My Cars
    300zx TT
    Ok, two more questions I have come up with while looking at cars. What is included in the "M Package"? I know this isn't an M class car but rather a package. is it just some trim pieces and wheels or is there actually changes to the engine and body work.

With paddle shifting cars, is this just a feature on the sport package? I have found cars listed with the sport package but there are no paddle shifters. I have also seen the phrase "shiftable automatic" but I see no paddle shifters. Thanks guys I appreciate the help with the hunt.
    Last edited by Gaiden9; 04-28-2017 at 08:48 AM.

My Cars
    2006 325xi Sportwagon
    The automatic is a steptronic. The shift lever can be moved over towards the driver, and the driver can bump shift the lever to select higher or lower gears.

My Cars
    335d, 328xd (had 330xi)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaiden9 View Post
    Ok, two more questions I have come up with while looking at cars. What is included in the "M Package"? I know this isn't an M class car but rather a package. is it just some trip pieces and wheels or is there actually changes to the engine and body work.

With paddle shifting cars, is this just a feature on the sport package? I have found cars listed with the sport package but there are no paddle shifters. I have also seen the phrase "shiftable automatic" but I see no paddle shifters. Thanks guys I appreciate the help with the hunt.
    The MSport is purely a visual option: different front/rear bumpers, a couple extra colors, interior touches on the trim and such.

Paddle shifters didn't automatically come with sport/msport package until LCI iirc.

My Cars
    300zx TT
    Floydr it appears that they sell kits to retrofit the paddles to a non paddle car. So, I guess I don't really need to find a car that has the paddles. This will also allow me to get a thicker M wheel. I actually like this a lot as it allows me to cast a wider net when searching for my car.