Thread: At a loss (2001 525i)

My Cars
    2001 BMW 525i

At a loss (2001 525i)

I bought this car back in December. It currently has 204k+ miles.

In January, I replaced the battery when it wouldn't start.
    In March, I replaced the radiator when it kept overheating.
    This month it began to stall on me. I replaced the throttle control valve. Worked for a bit, then started acting up again. Took it to get it programmed to the car, all was good then it began stalling again.
    I changed the spark plugs, pre-cat O2 sensors and lastly today the fuel filter. But it simply won't turn over.

Does anyone have any idea or advice for me? I really don't want to get rid of this car, but I can't keep shelling out money and time, even if I'm doing the work myself. I had pulled the codes previously, but have cleared them since. Unless I haven't tightened the spark plugs enough or an ignition coil is too badly damaged or I simply don't have enough gas... I honestly don't have any clue. My last resort is to tow it to a mechanic and have them try to gouge me.

Please help.

Pelican Parts is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '02 E39 Touring
    This may be an obvious one, but how does the starter itself look? In the oddball case that it is the starter, take a look at the DIY below for the fix. Best of luck!

http://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/tech...eplacement.htm
    Your Trusted Source For DIY and Parts
    FREE SHIPPING over $99 click here
    BMW Parts | DIY Tech Articles | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube | Promos
    888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST

My Cars
    2001 BMW 525i
    I suppose it could be the starter, but would it suddenly fail like that? Literally the car had run the best I had heard it in a long time once I replaced the O2 sensors and spark plugs (I did splurge on the Iridiums). I drive down a block, then up a hill and it stalls and dies, and hasn't started since.

- - - Updated - - -

Additionally, I'll also note that once I had changed those items, my SES light finally went away. I havent been able to pull any codes either since. I'd assume that if the car wouldn't start that atleast some fault would be giving some sort of indication if there was a malfunction. Would a failed starter not throw a code?

Pelican Parts is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '02 E39 Touring
    You're absolutely right, a code would be thrown for starter issues (at least a code would be stored) - it's unlikely that the starter would just go faulty out of the blue. Without throwing any codes, I cannot imagine it being a serious issue. I'll chat with our master tech to see if he has any input.
    Your Trusted Source For DIY and Parts
    FREE SHIPPING over $99 click here
    BMW Parts | DIY Tech Articles | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube | Promos
    888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST

My Cars
    2001 BMW 525i
    On 4/20 I pulled the following codes:

P0300- Random / Multiple cylinder misfires detected
    P1085- Fuel temperature Sensor B circuit
    P0171- System too lean
    P1346- Misfire during start cylinder 3
    P1350- Misfire during start cylinder 5
    P1083- Fuel temperature sensor A circuit high
    P0154- 02 Sensor circuit no activity
    P0134- 02 Sensor circuit no activity
    P1348- Misfire during start cylinder 4

After changing the spark plugs to the iridiums, doing an oil change, replacing the 02 sensors and lastly installing a new fuel filter I thought for sure I would've taken care of all (if not most) of those issues. I even thought my fuel tank was too low since when it stalled and refused to start I was on a bit of an incline. Adding 2 gallons didn't make a difference. I cleared the codes thinking that maybe it just wasnt recognizing the new installations, but now there are no codes and I have no idea.

I even held down the accelerator while trying to start it for 30 seconds. Nothing. I checked the fuses which all look good in both my glove box and trunk. Even used my portable charger to charge the battery while starting, nothing.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 525i
    Update:

I've found a local garage that specializes in foreign (particularly German-made) cars. They seem to get good reviews and I had a, albeit brief, good conversation with one of the owner/ mechanics there. So I'll be getting the car towed there next week and see what can be done. I'll do my best to keep you all posted. If anyone can think of anything between now and then, let me know.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 525i
    UPDATE (Kinda):

I was finally able to get my car looked at by the mechanic over at Woodlawn Garage off of Chelten Ave in NW Philly today. After having some issues with the hood latch, I let him know all the work that had been done on the car and he suggested testing for any vacuum leaks. He also said, "I don't want to replace anything unless I absolutely have to" which I definitely appreciated / thought was kinda lazy / but also appreciate more because alot of the issues he brought up were things I had already addressed with my repairs. He wasn't sure why the car wouldn't start initially...

BTW, the gotdamn car started up yesterday once the tow truck showed up. He asked me to try it with no success. Then he tried it a couple times varying the pedal on the accelerator and finally got it to start. I drove it around the block with no issue and eventually drove it 2 miles to the garage.

... but said he'd check it out to see what he could find.

Again, I'll keep you posted.

My Cars
    528i, 525iT, M5
    and the results were?
    Current Garage Highlights
    2003 525iT TiSilver
    2002 M5 TiSilver
    1998 528i KASCHMIRBEIGE METALLIC (301) (Goldie)

Former Garage Highlights
    2005 X5 4.8is
    2004 325iTs (2x)
    1973 Pantera L
    1971 Dodge Dart Swinger "Lite Package"
    1970 Dodge Challenger T/A 340 Six Pack Alpine White
    1970 Dodge Challenger T/A 340 Six Pack GoManGo Green
    1969 Road Runner 383
    1968 Barracuda Formula S 340 Sea Foam Green

My Cars
    2001 BMW 525i
    Still....

Car is in the shop.

"Supposedly" I needed a new thermostat because the car was "overheating" and they were unable to diagnose the misfires because the radiator was "spurting coolant"... Now all of this is in quotations, because none of this shit was happening before. I'll be checking in tomorrow to see what the status is.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 525i
    Update:

Fuel pump.

I'm annoyed a little bit because I suggested this from the beginning and was wholly ignored. But it's cool. Now I'm looking at $1100 for the fuel pump and thermostat, labor included.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 525i
    Update:

Picked up the car this morning. Running as smooth as I can remember with one major exception: NO SES LIGHT!!! Gotta love it.

Turns out, they ran into the same problems I was having with the intermittent starting/ stalling/ not starting. After, again, telling them how I had chased the issues around all over the car, the mechanic relayed to me that the O2 sensors might not have needed to be replaced after all. What the sensors do is detect an acceptable range...anything outside of that the car won't start and it will throw an error code. How that code is deciphered by the reader will manifest in replacing the sensor or investigating what caused it to "trip". Regardless, for my sanity, replacing them wasn't that big of a deal.

All in all, a decent, but annoying experience. Will further keep you all abreast to any further issues I have... Ill catalog my issues under: 2001-525-19129