Thread: Things I learned driving a celica for 30 days

My Cars
    E39 535i

Things I learned driving a celica for 30 days

I've had my car in the workshop getting panel work done.
    I'm surprised at the final repair bill, it exceeds 10 grand. I'm really surprised the insurance company said to go ahead with it.
    Anyway... I commandeered my eldest daughters car after 6 days into the expected 2 weeks while the car was in the shop. I thought I'd only have it for a week. I ended up waiting 36 days for my car.
    In that time I gained an appreciation for the extra room torque and highway comfort of the E39. I really missed the extra 4 cylinders.
    The first thing I noticed when I got back into my car compared to the celica, was the shifter seemed to travel for an eternity between gears.
    I can see a short shift kit in my near future.
    I also noticed that I really didn't save much more on fuel.
    The good...
    Not a single stone chip to be seen anywhere.
    The guards are mounted well and sit nicely as do the inner guard liners.
    They even cleaned my daily driving wheels up nicely.
    The meh...
    They couldn't match the tail light with a genuine part (insurance wouldn't permit an aftetmarket part) so I'll have to either match part A myself, or find a genuine part B to match the replaced (right hand) side.
    The bad...
    I could be being picky here, but I've noticed a blemish in the new paint... Just below the door handle there's what looks like an oval shaped blemish in the paint, like a faded spot. I've circled it in red.
    I'll be taking it in tomorrow to get them to have a look

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1998 528i; 2000 540i;
    WOW!

I see what you mean about the blemish. There is no reflection of your arm in that spot in the second last picture. Either that or your right forearm and hand are vampires.
    gmak: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly. A journey with my new-to-me 2000 540i

"Working on a BMW E39 is the best way to run out of time."

My Cars
    E39 535i
    That's my daughter in the reflection.... And yes, she's also a vampire

My Cars
    325ix, 325ix, 540i
    Hopefully they just forgot to polish that area properly. Otherwise it looks great!

I'm surprised the insurance paid out $10k. What's the break point in Australia for totaling the car? Here it's usually 60-75% depending on the state, iirc.
    If your e30 runs bad, switch to Megasquirt first. Then try new spark plugs, cap and rotor, wires, oxygen sensor, crank shaft position sensor, coolant temp sensor, air flow meter, idle control valve, throttle position sensor, digital motor electronics unit, harmonic balancer, fuel injectors, engine harness...

My Cars
    E39 535i
    Usually I'd have thought closer to 50%, but no more than 75% Max.. But my agreed value is not much higher than this. This is more than 80% of my agreed value

My Cars
    1995 525i/5
    Looks pretty good overall! Finish the facelift by getting another new taillight and upgrade those kidney grilles to the newer style ones.

I know how you feel about the power though, I remember when my 540i was down for chain guides for a few weeks and I had to daily drive my girlfriend's Hyundai Elantra... that thing was totally gutless.
    1995 525i 5-speed - Thread

My Cars
    97 528i
    rockin' E38 rims on an E39....adapters ???
    "two wrongs don't make a right...only three lefts do...."
    '79 Euro 635csi - gone and regretting it...
    '89 gsxr-750 - former traffic knife
    '97 528i sedan - holding on strong...(just sold after 16 years of ownership - sad day)
    '03 Euro 525it - something about a famous dolphin.....

'06 Mercury Grand Marquis (don't ask....it gets the job done....)
    '84 Specialized Allez - full Campagnolo Super Record
    '99-ish Cannondale CAAD4
    "Stinky" - Kona Stinky Five
    '86 528e
    2008 E70 X5 3.0

My Cars
    M550iX, 540M-Sport, Scud
    Great car, nice look. I would have the door resprayed....it would bug me to leave as is, and any body shop would do that gratis, and with a big apology for letting that go. (they knew it was there when they gave it to you).
    2001 540 M-Sport (cdn), ST X (KW) coilovers, H&R 15mm spacers, Eibach anti roll bars (28mm/18mm), Beastpower rear antiroll bar brackets, M5 rear chassis reinforcements (traction rods), Strong Strut front upper strut bar, Dinan Stage 1 software, factory M-Audio subs, Bavsound speaker upgrade, Bluebus bluetooth integration, Stop Tech SS brake lines, ATE coated brake rotors, ATE ceramic brake pads.

My Cars
    E39 535i
    Quote Originally Posted by adm750 View Post
    rockin' E38 rims on an E39....adapters ???
    Nope. Those are an E39 wheel.

My Cars
    E39 535i
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyzabolotny View Post
    Looks pretty good overall! Finish the facelift by getting another new taillight and upgrade those kidney grilles to the newer style ones.

I know how you feel about the power though, I remember when my 540i was down for chain guides for a few weeks and I had to daily drive my girlfriend's Hyundai Elantra... that thing was totally gutless.
    I actually prefer the lower profile of the pre facelift kidney grilles.
    The way the facelift ones poke out really looks odd to me lol
    Now... If I could find a sport wheel. In single stage that is in decent condition I'd be really happy lol
    Mine has had all the leather stripped from it.

The celica actually has a decent power to weight ratio, but the low. Down torque I miss... And it felt weird using all the 5 gears around town, compared to 4/6 gears in the E39.

Absinthe makes the tart grow fonder
    Last edited by StRaNgEdAyS; 04-26-2017 at 07:24 PM.

My Cars
    4 BMWs.
    It almost looks like a giant fingerprint in the paint. Nice 535i though. When I was having the front end of my 528i refurb'd I decided to stay with the prefacelift headlights grille and bumper. I think it's a nice, classy look.
    2001 Z3 3.0i -Oxford Green/Sandbeige
    2016 428xi -Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 430iC- Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 330it - Melbourne Red/Venetian Beige/Black

My Cars
    325ix, 325ix, 540i
    Quote Originally Posted by StRaNgEdAyS View Post
    I actually prefer the lower profile of the pre facelift kidney grilles.
    The way the facelift ones poke out really looks odd to me lol
    Yeah, definitely.
    If your e30 runs bad, switch to Megasquirt first. Then try new spark plugs, cap and rotor, wires, oxygen sensor, crank shaft position sensor, coolant temp sensor, air flow meter, idle control valve, throttle position sensor, digital motor electronics unit, harmonic balancer, fuel injectors, engine harness...

My Cars
    E39 535i
    Quote Originally Posted by amancuso View Post
    It almost looks like a giant fingerprint in the paint. Nice 535i though. When I was having the front end of my 528i refurb'd I decided to stay with the prefacelift headlights grille and bumper. I think it's a nice, classy look.
    Thanks
    I'll be replacing the M62B35 with an M62B44 sometime in the not so distant future.
    I'm looking for a 540i with issues to use as a parts/donor car. I'll replace everything in the 4.4 and switch the engines when I have the timing guide rattle start.
    I'll also take all the extra bits and keep them for eventualities lol.

Absinthe makes the tart grow fonder