Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: E93 boot wont pull closed

My Cars
    2007 335i convertible
    Bump

My Cars
    2011 BMW 330d Converible
    When you start ISTA and do a complete identification after it has completed the modules appear on the screen under the Control Unit Tree. Select CTM and then select call up ECU functions, then select component triggering tab and you will find it there. I also have the same problem and when I activate soft closing it works fine so suspect it maybe a sensor issue like the one mentioned earlier by Mrnickyp

My Cars
    2002 bmw x5
    Thank you for the information & pictures. I found the same blue wire & also the black wire broken. I went ahead and repaired all 3 wires.

My Cars
    2010 E93 325i
    Hello, I have the same problem with the softclos and wonder if your luggage lighting worked or was off, my lights are not lit at any time now, can it be the same switch as mentioned or is there anyone else?

My Cars
    2011 BMW 330d Converible
    Had the exact same problem and the exact same cause Mrnickp so many thanks for the pics and info

My Cars
    2009 E93, 2002 E46

Checking symptoms

Quote Originally Posted by Mrnickyp View Post
    After a long time, I finally fixed my issue with the SCA not actuating.

Attachment 629236

Number one on the diagram was the cause of the issue. Below shows the break in the blue cable.

The fix was to resolder the wire and reassemble.

I did use BMW ISTA+ software to actuate the SCA motors to see if they were faulty. I was very pleased to see they worked, so I knew the fault was not the motors, but either the wiring loom, hall sensors or microswitches.

Loom checked ok by doing simple continuity checks, which took a long time to do. Then checked the microswitches and found the break. Should have done this first lol.

Anyway, I'm so happy now I have a working boot and roof!!

Attachment 629230Attachment 629231Attachment 629232Attachment 629233
    i appear to have the same symptoms. When the SCA was not working due to the broken wire, when you unlocked, did you hear the motor engage for the unlock cycle? Thanks

My Cars
    2012 BMW 328i Convertibl
    Thank you for your post Mrnickyp. From the 4 pictures you posted, does the micro switch with cable come as a separate part? And can we unplug and replace it with another one, since in my case the left side micro switch isn't working.

Coming to the problem with my 2012 BMW 328i Convertible (3.0L L6), i am facing similar issue. Trunk open warning light started showing couple days after i kept a stroller which was touching the top part of the trunk but it did locked fine and no issues on that day. Pretty sure that triggered this problem.

I see the trunk is getting locked and cannot be opened without unlocking the trunk, but, i can clearly see the trunk is not completely closing and there is a clear gap between bumper and trunk. I can also hear the trunk shaking little bit and the trunk open warning light keeps showing on uneven roads or when accelerating from complete stop!

I took it to one of my local mechanic and they said my left trunk latch micro switch is not working which is causing this problem and he will get back to me with an estimate on the part. I thought it shouldn't be a big ticket item until i head back from the mechanic giving me an estimate of $1350 with part being $845 (the whole trunk latch part # 51247353615) and 500 for labor which takes 3 to 4 hours.

Checked with BMW dealer as well on the part for micro switch, but even they say it won't come as a separate part which is kind of insane.
    Let me know if there is any alternative for this.

Appreciate your help guys!

--Anumala

My Cars
    E93

Soft close not working (E93 2.0d 2012)

All, had the same failing soft close on my E93, boot open warning and no abilty to operate the roof. Removed the soft close unit as previously suggested and found the same broken cable point on the near side of the unit. The green wire was completely broken and the black one was wearing through. Anyway, soldered back together and wrapped up and I can now enjoy roof down motoring again!

Thank you to all who posted pictures and information it's clearly a fault point on these units. It's a pity the wire quality isn't as good as the sheathing that is meant to protect it!

My Cars
    2012 BMW 328i Convertibl
    Hello Guys, Was able to fix my convertible which had same issue as well. 2 wires (black and blue) out of the 3 are disconnected as shown in 1st image.
    I connected them back and it worked!!

1.jpeg 2.jpeg 3.jpeg

Thank you very much all for your great inputs, saved me $1400.
    You guys ROCK!!

My Cars
    2007 BMW 330DA Cabriolet
    This just happened to me in the middle of nowhere in northern Norway on my vacation trip. Are the broken wires in the boot lid?

My Cars
    2011 328i E93
    Hi Mrnickyp. Thanks for posting. Same thing happened to me - except all three wires were sheared through. Did you solder the wire back together or did you get a new microswitch?
    How did you get the microswitch out of its white plastic prison?

Thanks,

Bjmueller

My Cars
    e93 335i
    Thank you very much! I had one sleepless night because of this issue.
    Cables looked ok until you check if the micro switches were working or not.
    I was a bit worry it might be the micro switches. Finally checked the cables carefully and found the broken wires hid inside the black tube!!
    You need to remove the cover and then you can access to the main unit. You need to remove six screws and one cable in order to remove the whole unit from the boot lid.
    Took me just over an hour and it's definitely worth it!!

Save me lots of money! Thank you from New Zealand!
    Last edited by SpeediM; 05-16-2020 at 09:34 PM.

My Cars
    '94 325iC, '08 328i, E93
    This is very interesting. I have an E36 that I am thinking of replacing with an E93, and my E36 also has wires that lead from the body (left side fender) into the trunk lid that break due to flexing as the trunk is opened and closed. I don't have the soft close, but the symptom set I get is that the roof does not know that the trunk is closed, so the roof will not move. I also get issues with the lighting on the back of the car. My point is, this has been an issue since at least the E36.

How does the trunk lid deal with opening from each end relative to routing the wires? I could answer this question myself by buying a car...
    Last edited by JDStrickland; 05-17-2020 at 01:37 PM.

My Cars
    E93 335i 2008
    I checked my cables and they were fine. The two motors seem to be working except the latch in the middle. I saw them working but I have not been able to unlock it unless I use my key. Any idea what it can be triggering it? I noticed that it started happening when my settings changed from unlocking one door instead of two and when I drive it didn’t lock the doors automatically. I haven’t used the car in a while either. Any suggestions?

My Cars
    2010 e93 coupe
    good job ! Thanks for posting !

My Cars
    2010 e93 coupe
    Good job ! Thanks for posting !

My Cars
    2011 BMW 328i Convertibl

But how do I get the &#@ Switch out of the housing?***Solved***

Attachment 629236

Number one on the diagram was the cause of the issue. Below shows the break in the blue cable.

The photos are awesome, and I have the assembly hanging down now. I'm trying to figure out how to pull out the microswitch so I can check the wires. I'm ham-fisted, and I don't want to snap something off...

Did a lot of jiggling and prodding, and finally just slit the black (tough!) sheath. Green wire was busted. Soldered a jumper into place, taped it up, and my wife has a convertible again!
    Last edited by SFBaySailor; 10-01-2020 at 06:26 PM. Reason: Solved my problem

My Cars
    2009 e93 320d M Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by SFBaySailor View Post
    The photos are awesome, and I have the assembly hanging down now. I'm trying to figure out how to pull out the microswitch so I can check the wires. I'm ham-fisted, and I don't want to snap something off...

Did a lot of jiggling and prodding, and finally just slit the black (tough!) sheath. Green wire was busted. Soldered a jumper into place, taped it up, and my wife has a convertible again!
    Great news!

My Cars
    2007 320i se convertible
    Is the mechanism in your photo part of the boot lid or what the two plungers in the boot lid touch inside the boot.

l have same issue boot open warning light coming on and roof won’t open

My Cars
    2009 e93 320d M Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by Louialive View Post
    Is the mechanism in your photo part of the boot lid or what the two plungers in the boot lid touch inside the boot.

l have same issue boot open warning light coming on and roof won’t open
    Hi. Louialive.

The two plungers are for adjustment. The mechanism is part of the boot lid.

thanks.

My Cars
    E93
    Hello. Same thing happenned to me just now. The trunk won’t pull close & noticed that the trunk light suddenly doesn’t work.
    Please inform me how you got this resolved.
    Cheers

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by so.stenungsund View Post
    Hello, I have the same problem with the softclos and wonder if your luggage lighting worked or was off, my lights are not lit at any time now, can it be the same switch as mentioned or is there anyone else?
    Hello. Same thing happenned to me just now. The trunk won’t pull close & noticed that the trunk light suddenly doesn’t work.
    Please inform me how you got this resolved.
    Cheers

My Cars
    4 series

Worked!!!

Followed the screenshots ns can confirm I had the same problem on a 2016 4 series convertible. Blue wire had snapped. Looks like it had snapped underneath the pressure from the white clip. The blue wire looked a lot shorter than the other two wires. Silly manufacturer fault!

My Cars
    BMW E93
    Great news!
    . Got the same problem with my E93 2009. Two broken wires !! thank you Mrnickyp for the post. It wa most helpful

My Cars
    M3 e93 2012
    Hello everyone.

E93 M3.
    I might be experiencing the same issue. Hopefully not a broken wire.
    I close the trunk (normal closing). I dont hear the SOFT Closing Actuator closing the trunk. The trunk is consider still opening according to the YELLOW warning light on the dash
    However, if push down with a little force on the RIGHT side.. I will hear a Click...and and 2nd click click...which I assume is the SCA working.

Now I can open my top or close my top. I can drive without the yellow warning light.

If it was a true broken wire, that means SCA will NOT work, which means the trunk is never closed....which means you cant open/close the vert top, correct?

I would have to push down on slightly to the right of the center of trunk to get the Soft closing accut. to pull the trunk in.....so that it is completely secure.

If I close the trunk and leave it in the down close position, SCA doesnt grab the trunk....i have push it a little harder to get the SCA to pull the trunk in.

Is this normal operation or do I have a fault?

Thanks

I checked the wire..didnt see any pressure on the wire cable (inside the black shealth). It appears symetrical on the outside. No pressure marks.
    (LEFT SIDE/DRIVER SIDE/USA) #1 in the picture above.

My Cars
    2010 e93 BMW 335i

ISTA+ to actuate SCA

Attachment 629236

I did use BMW ISTA+ software to actuate the SCA motors to see if they were faulty. I was very pleased to see they worked, so I knew the fault was not the motors, but either the wiring loom, hall sensors or microswitches.

Loom checked ok by doing simple continuity checks, which took a long time to do. Then checked the microswitches and found the break. Should have done this first lol.

Anyway, I'm so happy now I have a working boot and roof!!

And how exactly in ISTA+ did you activate the SCA function??

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast