Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: E93 boot wont pull closed

My Cars
    BMW E93 320d Convertible
    My first post on this forum. I joined yesterday as Google flagged it when I searched for E93 Convertible boot lock. Anyway my partner has a 2008 E93 320d and the boot lock had stopped working properly. The boot lid could be locked even though it had not been 'drawn down into the closed position'.
    Anyway having read this thread I decided to investigate further. I have done a fair amount of DIY on cars in the past 40 years but the locking system did look complex at first glance. Having removed the boot trim, handle and emergency triangle, I was able to remove the 6 T30 Torx screws and drop the locking mechanism down to enable all the electrical connections to be unplugged. Some of this need a bit of patience with a small screwdriver to release locking tabs on the clips. The operating cable from the latch can then be released and the whole locking mechanism removed for inspection.
    Once I had removed the left hand (near side in the UK!!) microswitch it was clear the the green wire had parted (in fatigue?). I was able to fairly crudely splice in a short length of new wire and solder before insulating and reassembly. The white clip over the microswitch needs care when removing and replacing. After re-fitting the locking mechanism and re-connecting all the cable clips and operating cable, I kept my fingers crossed and luckily it now works. I also tested that the convertible hood can be raised and lowered.
    This forum has, even if temporarily, saved the cost of a new part, which was quoted at £467 from the local BMW franchise. Thanks to everyone that has contributed, and I hope that my post adds some more useful information also?

My Cars
    E93

Red face

Hi guys!! I have the same problem and its just the 2 simple [IMG]20220408_204225[/IMG]wires like other owners talked right here!!!! I dissassemble all interior trunk and thats it and costs me zero euros!!!!! Thank a lot !!! If anyone needs help please contact me Ct5jwy@hotmail.com , i have a lot of fotos to help you all !!!!! Thanks!!!!
    Last edited by Mingos; 04-08-2022 at 05:50 PM.

My Cars
    e93
    same issue on my e93 (9 years old now), i will try asap your suggestion looks promising

My Cars
    e93
    amazing fix it works!! just 3hours of work
    but was so incredibily easy and so much money saved!!
    thank u all
    here the pictures of my fix on e93
    https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...I56idnj7AeYtUt

My Cars
    e93
    same problem on my e93 .... I solved it thanks to you ... ANGELS !!!!

My Cars
    2009 BMW 330da
    Thanks for the awesome and easy tips on it, i modified the whole connector so it might not break the cables again.

My Cars
    E93 330D
    Really good photos. Did you disconnect the battery before doing this work? Thanks

My Cars
    E93
    Just read this thread as my e93 330i 2007 has a similar issue. Mine seems to be slightly different as my boot light and boot lid light are both working . Also the soft close motor/solenoid keeps cycling and trying to close the boot, if you look carefully the boot pulls down slightly but it just keeps cycling and trying for so many attempts.
    I didn't want to pull off the assembly and look for broken wires if that isn't my problem. Can I ask if any body had the same issue as me? I can't make out from reading the previous posts if their motor was constantly cycling or it wasn't at all. I hope that makes sense! Cheers

My Cars
    '94 325iC, '08 328i, E93
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogrich View Post
    Just read this thread as my e93 330i 2007 has a similar issue. Mine seems to be slightly different as my boot light and boot lid light are both working . Also the soft close motor/solenoid keeps cycling and trying to close the boot, if you look carefully the boot pulls down slightly but it just keeps cycling and trying for so many attempts.
    I didn't want to pull off the assembly and look for broken wires if that isn't my problem. Can I ask if any body had the same issue as me? I can't make out from reading the previous posts if their motor was constantly cycling or it wasn't at all. I hope that makes sense! Cheers

It sounds as if your issue is a mechanical one, not an electrical one. The OP in this thread identified an electrical issue where the soft close didn't turn on, You have said that your motors try but fail to pull the trunk lid down, this sounds like a mechanical linkage issue rather than an electrical problem.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123