Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: E93 boot wont pull closed

My Cars
    E93 325i 2007 m-sport

E93 boot wont pull closed

Can anyone help with this issue please.

The soft close that normally electronically pulls the boot lid closed wont operate.
    It will mechanically latch and then electronically unlatch using the normal boot lid button but it's ajar.

Anyone know what could be wrong, I have checked for a broken fuse, tried disconnecting the battery for a few minutes and tried to look for codes but my inpa wont read the body modules, it works on the engine module ok as I programmed some injectors recently with it.

The manual part of the mechanism that is visible seems ok, the key will unlatch it too, but nothing makes the electric motor that normally pulls it shut operate, is it a separate motor to the latch/unlatch motor?

Obviously the convertible roof wont operate because the boot isn't shut properly.

My Cars
    2009 e93 320d M Sport

E93 Auto Close stopped working

Quote Originally Posted by kis2010 View Post
    Can anyone help with this issue please.

The soft close that normally electronically pulls the boot lid closed wont operate.
    It will mechanically latch and then electronically unlatch using the normal boot lid button but it's ajar.

Anyone know what could be wrong, I have checked for a broken fuse, tried disconnecting the battery for a few minutes and tried to look for codes but my inpa wont read the body modules, it works on the engine module ok as I programmed some injectors recently with it.

The manual part of the mechanism that is visible seems ok, the key will unlatch it too, but nothing makes the electric motor that normally pulls it shut operate, is it a separate motor to the latch/unlatch motor?

Obviously the convertible roof wont operate because the boot isn't shut properly.
    Hi, today the same thing has happened to my boot. The last thing I noticed was the usual sound of the auto close mechanism attempting to operate. Did not realise it did not pull the boot fully closed.

When I got home, locked the car, I heard the alarm sounding about 15 minutes later. On inspection of the car noticed the boot slightly open. Opened and closed it and realised the auto close has stopped.

Roof doesn't operate too.

Anyones help woul be really appreciated.

regards.

Nick.

My Cars
    e93 300d, e36 m3
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrnickyp View Post
    Hi, today the same thing has happened to my boot. The last thing I noticed was the usual sound of the auto close mechanism attempting to operate. Did not realise it did not pull the boot fully closed.

When I got home, locked the car, I heard the alarm sounding about 15 minutes later. On inspection of the car noticed the boot slightly open. Opened and closed it and realised the auto close has stopped.

Roof doesn't operate too.

Anyones help woul be really appreciated.

regards.

Nick.

Has anyone had any luck with this? mine has failed today.

My Cars
    14 JGC/13 E88 128i
    All I can suggest is getting your car to a BMW indy that can read codes. Meaning all the codes. I assume you are getting the red flashing light rather than the green steady light showing transition? There typically two types of sensors: micro and hall and all I can assume is that one of those has failed or been knocked out of alignment. Question to all of you; have you put anything in the trunk or interior that was large and might have bumped something?

I think if the coded including shadow codes show nothing you are off to the dealership. DO NOT go to a dealer that does not have a technician that has not been to the special BMW hardtop school. You are just wasting your time if you do.

Good luck post what you find regarding a solution so we may all learn....
    BMWCCA 149159

My Cars
    2001 525it
    Look in the left or right rear fender are for water, there known to collect water in there.

My Cars
    2009 e93 320d M Sport

Soft Close sensors checked.

Quote Originally Posted by fun2drive View Post
    All I can suggest is getting your car to a BMW indy that can read codes. Meaning all the codes. I assume you are getting the red flashing light rather than the green steady light showing transition? There typically two types of sensors: micro and hall and all I can assume is that one of those has failed or been knocked out of alignment. Question to all of you; have you put anything in the trunk or interior that was large and might have bumped something?

I think if the coded including shadow codes show nothing you are off to the dealership. DO NOT go to a dealer that does not have a technician that has not been to the special BMW hardtop school. You are just wasting your time if you do.

Good luck post what you find regarding a solution so we may all learn....
    No luck so far.

I have tested the two micro switches on the soft close mechanism which are ok.

Next im going to locate the soft close hall sensor and test. Failing that I'll locate the CTM Control Module and trace back the wiring to the junction box and soft close motors to see if there are any breaks.

No water in the trunk/boot.

I should really get the codes read too.

cheers for the advice, will keep you updated.

My Cars
    14 JGC/13 E88 128i
    Well at least you know what works. The top is usually reliable but very complex.
    Love to hear the solution...
    BMWCCA 149159

My Cars
    BMW E93, 2010, 325I
    Hi,

Did you get the boot issue sorted?
    I have a similar issue with a 2010 BMW E93 – 325i.

The soft close automation (SCA) has stopped working and instrument cluster displays ‘the Luggage compartment open – symbol’. The mechanical locking arrangement works with the key.
    Both the luggage compartment & trunk lid lights have both stopped working as well. I replaced both lights with new OEM parts, however these still don’t work.

My local (indy) BMW garage in Sale Manchester said the SCA failure is due to an error in the FRM (foot-well module) Cost to replace £420 plus labour!
    I looked for a second opinion (indy) BMW garage Stockport Manchester – they said it’s a failure with the “Left - Trunk lid lock microswitch”. Cost £450 to change the whole trunk lid assemble.
    -
    These are two expensive route to make the truck lid close fully. Very interested to know if your issue was fixed

My Cars
    335i
    Pmcevey ​ Did you get this problem resolved?

My Cars
    2007 335i convertible
    Any news how this was fixed. My 07 just started doing this. Thanks

My Cars
    335i E93 N54
    Following thread. Mine isn't doing this yet, but seems one day I'll be looking for this help.

Some of you must have resolved this... you can't all be driving around with open trunks for the last year.

My Cars
    2007 335i convertible
    Bump. Anyone??

My Cars
    2009 e93 320d M Sport

Smart Close Automatic Fixed

After a long time, I finally fixed my issue with the SCA not actuating.

2018-05-10 08_03_56-Microsoft Edge.png

Number one on the diagram was the cause of the issue. Below shows the break in the blue cable.

The fix was to resolder the wire and reassemble.

I did use BMW ISTA+ software to actuate the SCA motors to see if they were faulty. I was very pleased to see they worked, so I knew the fault was not the motors, but either the wiring loom, hall sensors or microswitches.

Loom checked ok by doing simple continuity checks, which took a long time to do. Then checked the microswitches and found the break. Should have done this first lol.

Anyway, I'm so happy now I have a working boot and roof!!

IMG_20180508_195109.jpgIMG_20180508_194620.jpgIMG_20180508_194758.jpgIMG_20180508_194855.jpg

My Cars
    335i E93 N54

Awesome Mrnickyp, thanks for the good imagery and info!

My Cars
    '11 335is Vert
    Hmmm, I wonder how that wire could've been "broken" apart like that? Any movable parts in that area of the trunk/wiring, or something pinched it?
    E93...kick you square in the nutz!

My Cars
    2009 e93 320d M Sport
    There doesn't seem to be much movement around the area of the break, the image shows where the break was located. Very close to the wire strain relief, which could have been the cause.

WireBreak.jpg

My Cars
    E93

Number one on the diagram was the cause of the issue. Below shows the break in the blue cable.

The fix was to resolder the wire and reassemble.

Loom checked ok by doing simple continuity checks, which took a long time to do. Then checked the microswitches and found the break. Should have done this first lol.

Hi there
    Cheers for posting this up

Just a question, as I've seemed to run into the same problem.
    Before doing this would the "soft close" work when:
    - boot is open;
    - closing the latch physically on left side by pushing it up; and
    - then closing the latch physically on the right side by pushing it up

It seems if I do the above, the latch (on the right side) will perform the "soft close".
    But it doesn't seem to do it when I shut the boot.

The boot will lock when shut but not perform the soft close procedure.

Just thought I'd ask that before tackling a possible blue wire culprit.

Any reply is much appreciated.

Cheers
    Mark

My Cars
    2009 e93 320d M Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by markv123 View Post
    Hi there
    Cheers for posting this up

Just a question, as I've seemed to run into the same problem.
    Before doing this would the "soft close" work when:
    - boot is open;
    - closing the latch physically on left side by pushing it up; and
    - then closing the latch physically on the right side by pushing it up

It seems if I do the above, the latch (on the right side) will perform the "soft close".
    But it doesn't seem to do it when I shut the boot.

The boot will lock when shut but not perform the soft close procedure.

Just thought I'd ask that before tackling a possible blue wire culprit.

Any reply is much appreciated.

Cheers
    Mark
    Hi Mark,

my soft close did not work when the boot was open when manually pushing the latches on the left and right sides. The only time I got the motors to work, before the fix, was using the BMW ISTA software.

For the motors or at least one to work, I would think that all the hall sensors and micro switches are functioning, but I would at least check both on the software close mechanism.

There is a hall sensor which detects the boot as open, so if it thinks its closed when really open and open when really closed, then it could be misaligned.

Page 32, hall sensor number 9

https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/at...0&d=1492441136

My Cars
    E93
    Thank you so much for the reply Mr Nicky.

my soft close did not work when the boot was open when manually pushing the latches on the left and right sides. The only time I got the motors to work, before the fix, was using the BMW ISTA software.
    Now that you mention it I’m not actually sure if it’s both left and right sides performing the soft close. I think it may be just the right side (if looking at it front on). Would this change your approach to my problem?

The only time I got the motors to work, before the fix, was using the BMW ISTA software.
    Would you be able to describe how to do this? I have the ISTA software but have predominately used it to read codes when trouble shooting. Am definitely interested in wanting to test the motors through ISTA to at the very least cross it off the process of elimination

There is a hall sensor which detects the boot as open, so if it thinks its closed when really open and open when really closed, then it could be misaligned.
    Page 32, hall sensor number 9
    https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/at...0&d=1492441136
    This part of your message is of particular interest. It seems in the attachment (thank you VERY much for) that it is behind the seat. Did you have to troubleshoot this as well? Will attempt to take a look at this too

Thanks again for the food of thought.
    Mark

My Cars
    2009 e93 320d M Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by markv123 View Post
    Thank you so much for the reply Mr Nicky.

Now that you mention it I’m not actually sure if it’s both left and right sides performing the soft close. I think it may be just the right side (if looking at it front on). Would this change your approach to my problem?

Would you be able to describe how to do this? I have the ISTA software but have predominately used it to read codes when trouble shooting. Am definitely interested in wanting to test the motors through ISTA to at the very least cross it off the process of elimination

This part of your message is of particular interest. It seems in the attachment (thank you VERY much for) that it is behind the seat. Did you have to troubleshoot this as well? Will attempt to take a look at this too

Thanks again for the food of thought.
    Mark
    Hi Mark,

I'll have to check how to test the motors in ISTA. It's in the CTM section and there is an option to trigger open and close. You need someone to watch the locks operate if your PC cable is short.

If you manually lock each latch, left and right, I don't think it should actuate the motors. If it does, I'll check mine, then it sounds like another sensor not working or its one of the motors, or a break to the power to a motor.

I did not check my hall sensor but I did try and locate it unsuccessfully.

If your roof does not operate due to a boot open on the console, you can use the ISTA software to turn off the sensor checking, CTM service mode, so you can put the roof down to look for the other sensors. You can also drive with it in service mode. Remember though, that this mode does not check for sensors so please make sure you have no obstacles in the boot/trunk or you will cause damage.

My Cars
    2007 335i convertible
    Thanks for covering this. I took mine to dealer and they said the SCA needs to be replaced. Funny thing both sides lock when you manually press them and unlock when you hit the trunk release

My Cars
    2009 e93 320d M Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by Elguero View Post
    Thanks for covering this. I took mine to dealer and they said the SCA needs to be replaced. Funny thing both sides lock when you manually press them and unlock when you hit the trunk release
    This is probably because its easier for them to replace it than to diagnose it. And it's very expensive.

When you manually lock each side, do you hear the SCA motors actuate? If they actuate the motors then the SCA microswitches are ok as the CTM, Convertable Top Model, has got the signal.

My Cars
    2007 335i convertible
    Yes you do. What could be the issue than?

My Cars
    2008 320d - Convertible
    My 2008 320d (same set up as the American spec 328) soft close motor works but it takes about 2-14 attempts for the sensors to know when it's in the right place to stop pulling down or releasing the lid. Which sensors monitor those stop locations and where are they located on the diagram Mrnickyp provided above?

My Cars
    E93
    Thank you so much for your replies as it has definitely helped with food for thought.

I am relieved to report that it somehow just started to work normally again. Just as I was about to rip the back seat out too lol

I'm thinking I probably have a wire problem somewhere. Maybe in the loom on the part of the boot that is moving up and down

If you have any thoughts that I may look into that would be great.
    Otherwise thank you again for your replies previously.
    I would still like to know how to test it in ISTA if you were able to confirm how Nick.

From all the way down in Sydney Australia, thanks!

Mark

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast