Thread: Towing question AWD 530 wagon

My Cars
    2002, 320/6 Baur

Towing question AWD 530 wagon

If I place it in Neutral and turn off ignition, can I tow it behind my motorhome on a tow dolly? Most sources seem to say it is OK, but.....

My Cars
    08 535xit
    only if the battery is good. if the battery dies from powering the car while in tow, it will bugger things up. it seems the computer needs to be controlling the transfer case and the diffs properly in order to keep them from wearing out.

from what i have read, i would not do this unless i had to and only for a few miles. leaving the car in ON will quickly deplete the battery.

G~
    E61 Mods: Trailer Hitch/wiring, Cargo cover roller fix, Backup camera, H&R springs, ER charge Pipe, Mishimoto catch can, boost gauge, intake scoop, JB+, CSR Rear Spoiler, Full SAT retrofit.
    Coded: legal disclaimer removal in iDrive, auto folding mirrors on lock, turn signals in HUD, fan speed indicator on when in auto, Doors unlock when key removed

E39 Mods: Euro dash conversion, Dinan exhaust, Dinan suspension with Camber kit, 2.81 differential, flappy paddle with double pull M mode activation/deactivation, backup camera, Video playback on Nav computer (iPod Video for video storage and playback), stereo video playback through DSP, MKIV computer, RPA Tire Pressure retrofit, Intravee II iPod integration, Euro armrest, HUD, Parrot BT, voice recognition module, trailer hitch/wiring, rear mounted 10" subwoofer with amplifier, lighted interior door handles, Evans coolant.

My Cars
    1974 estoril blue 2002
    Is it an automatic or a manual transmission? Autos can not have their drive wheels on the ground while in tow. The motor is what turn the trans oil pump and if the motor is not on then the pump won't be lubricating.
    I may be wrong but that is my knowledge of towing automatics.

My Cars
    2002, 320/6 Baur
    It is an automatic. I had planned to turn on, put in neutral, then turn power off. The car will do this. I know with my mini, which is an auto also, it cannot be towed with the drive wheels on the ground under any circumstances. Some Jeep models can....

My Cars
    Not a BMW that's for sur
    Quote Originally Posted by builtinbetter View Post
    Is it an automatic or a manual transmission? Autos can not have their drive wheels on the ground while in tow. The motor is what turn the trans oil pump and if the motor is not on then the pump won't be lubricating.
    I may be wrong but that is my knowledge of towing automatics.
    No AWD vehicles should be towed with wheels on the ground. You need a flatbed. Doesn't matter if it's auto or manual.

Quote Originally Posted by lyonsfin View Post
    It is an automatic. I had planned to turn on, put in neutral, then turn power off. The car will do this. I know with my mini, which is an auto also, it cannot be towed with the drive wheels on the ground under any circumstances. Some Jeep models can....
    Jeep models which are 4x4 manuals where the front axles can be disconnected should be OK to tow.

If you try this on your 530, you'll likely wreck your transfer case and transmission.

My Cars
    2002, 320/6 Baur
    Thanks. I have ruled out this option.