Thread: BMW 840 Swap

My Cars
    BMW 8 Series

BMW 840 Swap

I have a rolling chassis 840ci and I want to know what BMW 8 cylinders will be easiest to swap into them. I know some Bell housings are interchangeable. I know it came with the M62b44 but I dearly want to swap for an S62 or possibly an N62. I want to learn what dimensions these engines have in accordance to their respective mounts and I want to know which engine, that is non original, would easiest fit the bay. I'm willing to lightly modify as the car overall is a project. Cheers!

My Cars
    '91 e31
    A lot of discussion on this here - but the S62/N62 swaps are tough and pricey. The electronics are the issue - it's not a matter of "lightly modifying" the car - need to swap out the drivetrain, electronics and wiring harness...

My Cars
    BMW 8 Series
    Im not concerned with money/electronics. It's fabrication that I'm weak with. Are any of those swaps possible without heavy modification?

My Cars
    e34 540 e30 335
    Early V8's share engine mounts and dimensions, S62 has a bigger intake system. I'd not bother with an N62, too complicated.
    Easiest way to run the engine would be to go standalone I imagine, not sure how you would tie that into an auto box though.
    Last edited by yamoda; 04-25-2017 at 05:11 AM.
    E30 1992 335 Cabriolet - Transplant nearly finished
    E31 1992 850ci - Hartge H8 6.0 conversion
    E34 1995 540A - Stock, low mileage, hi spec and soon to FI'd
    E36 1994 M3 - GM LS3 Transplant
    E38 2001 735 - Daily driver
    E46 2002 330 Cab - Stock
    M62B46 with TTV flywheel, dual plate clutch and 6 speed box sitting in a corner waiting for me to decide where to put it.

My Cars
    BMW 8 Series
    Forward Bell housings can be swapped between a few engines I've read. Im assuming I can find a 6 speed out of an M5 that should be able to fit? I've read a lot, but I want to be sure, and nobody can seem to get me the answers. Hence why I'm here!

My Cars
    e34 540 e30 335
    All V8 bellhousings are the same.
    E30 1992 335 Cabriolet - Transplant nearly finished
    E31 1992 850ci - Hartge H8 6.0 conversion
    E34 1995 540A - Stock, low mileage, hi spec and soon to FI'd
    E36 1994 M3 - GM LS3 Transplant
    E38 2001 735 - Daily driver
    E46 2002 330 Cab - Stock
    M62B46 with TTV flywheel, dual plate clutch and 6 speed box sitting in a corner waiting for me to decide where to put it.

My Cars
    BMW 8 Series
    So theoretically, I can have an S62 matched to a 420G 6 speed. That leaves a custom driveshaft if I'm not mistaken. That's the easy part. Are there any threads linked to similar feats such as this? Maybe some that pertain to thr electronic aspect of this swap?

My Cars
    are slow
    There's always a couple secrets the swappers keep to themselves, but you'll want to look at the E38\E39 S62 swaps for reference. 6 speed comes out of any V8 540, you can even take the 5 speed ZF manual out of the E34 530 if you're feeling lucky. Gauges also have to be changed to the E39 style, unfortunately.

There was even an E31 S62 with a 5HP24, but it ran poorly.
    Last edited by XAlt; 04-25-2017 at 11:21 AM.

My Cars
    '97 840CI
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewskyBMW View Post
    ...BMW 8 cylinders...easiest to swap...non original...
    M62TUB44, M62B46, M62B48.

My Cars
    are slow
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyper View Post
    M62TUB44, M62B46, M62B48.
    1. A little bit of tork isn't worth thousands.
    2. X5 TUB46 at higher prices than the S62s. Congrats on your swap though.
    3. One is on sale for 10 grand in some Cali wrecking yard off an auto Z8.
    Last edited by XAlt; 04-25-2017 at 11:15 AM.

My Cars
    93 fjord grey 850csi
    The easiest will of course be the S62 as it is basicly the M62 with twin vanos ie same motor and the good bits are mainly in the heads the motor itself will more or less bolt straight in and if you buy the motor it will most probably have a s6s420g trans with it the tricky side of it is not the mechanics it does appear to be the electronics and the way i would approach it would be to buy an M5 donor car and utilise the wiring loom and modules in the 8 series body essentially an m5 with a 8 series body, whilst labour intensive the swap should be relatively straight forward the fitting of the E39 dashboard being one of the most complicated operations but again not overly difficult just labour intensive

although truth be known if it was Hp you are after i would fit an ls6 or similar but for coolness factor why a N62 if you are going to that length why not the S85 V10 a better more powerful motor to be frank the N62 is a bit of a dog maintenance wise

My Cars
    BMW 8 Series
    I'm not at all interested in more than eight cylinders due to front end weight. I want a relatively well balanced tourer. The body is receiving a six inch widened body and footprint to accommodate larger scrub radius and slightly larger tires. Interior is not intact whatsoever, so I'm having panels and a new dash made to resemble the original shape.
    I honestly figured I would try my hand at rewiring everything (gages and sensors) and have someone build a comp and tune to work side by side with the 8 Series comp. My heart isn't necessarily set on an engine swap, but I've read about a few problems with the m62.
    That aside, if I were to get an m62, would it still fit to a 420g? What are my options for power gains?

My Cars
    are slow
    I'm not at all interested in more than eight cylinders due to front end weight. I want a relatively well balanced tourer. The body is receiving a six inch widened body and footprint to accommodate larger scrub radius and slightly larger tires. Interior is not intact whatsoever, so I'm having panels and a new dash made to resemble the original shape.
    I honestly figured I would try my hand at rewiring everything (gages and sensors) and have someone build a comp and tune to work side by side with the 8 Series comp. My heart isn't necessarily set on an engine swap, but I've read about a few problems with the m62.
    That aside, if I were to get an m62, would it still fit to a 420g? What are my options for power gains?
    M62B44 is fairly strong, TUB has a couple more quirks such as weird hose clamps, water cooled alt, etc. VANOS is not really a concern on the TUB or S62, all it'll do with worn seals is imitate a diesel (I like it). When you have the engine out of the car, you might as well address the plastic chain guides on all 3 of the engines, they're all ticking time bombs.

The easier option is just to go M62B44 + supercharger and hook it up to a six speed. The same Getrag 420G was used in all the 4.0L+ V8s from 93-03.
    Last edited by XAlt; 04-26-2017 at 11:21 AM.

My Cars
    '97 840CI
    ..widened body...larger tires...Interior is not intact..new dash made...rewiring everything...build a comp...engine swap...
    Add in the usual banter about the S62 and manual trannys, add in the statement "Im not concerned with money/electronics", and I suddenly reach a conclusion...

This is a class project and someone donated this rolling chassis to a high school shop, taking the tax write-off...and everything else.

My Cars
    BMW 8 Series
    This is my personal car and I didn't grow up around performance vehicles. How else will I learn? I've been building engines and what not for years.
    If you havent anything constructive to add, go elsewhere.

tvjake2 is offline SoCalEights - CA BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    '97 840Ci, 1980 308
    This is my personal car and I didn't grow up around performance vehicles. How else will I learn? I've been building engines and what not for years.
    If you havent anything constructive to add, go elsewhere.

You have 6 posts on this forum. If you'd been around for a while you'd recognize Hyper's sense of humor...which I greatly appreciate. If you've nothing but time and money then you're on the right path. We will all wait patiently to see. Given how often this topic has come up, me thinks we'll be waiting awhile.

My Cars
    CSi#18, Tesla S85
    Well said Tom.

My Cars
    '97 840CI
    ...If you havent anything constructive to add, go elsewhere.
    Sure, and thanks for the invite.
    As others have noted, you're facing off against overwhelming humor, the likes of which you've never known.
    Your choices are...
    - Grow your own humor, thicken your skin,
    - or go elsewhere.
    My recommendation: continue with your thread as if nothing unusual had happened. No one really cares.

My Cars
    are slow
    Maximum rustledrive.