My Cars
    2016 X5, 2014 Audi Q5

How my rattling and creaky trunk lid was finally fixed today!

2016 X5 with only 14k miles on it. I bought it back in feb and over the next few weeks brought it back for service for the creaky and rattling trunk lid.
    All they did back in feb to address the issue was to wind a few turns of felt like sticky tape around the latch hook on the upper hatch lid. I drove out and the rattle was still there.
    From the various threads this issue effects many X5 years.

So I read through threads here and on google and was going to attack the job myself.
    But mostly all I could find was that same fix of winding the felt tape around the top latch hook or the side latch hooks.

I was also able to isolate 1/2 the noise coming from the bottom sides of the rear window when I pressed my hand on each lower corner. It was creaky! This was the noise i was getting when the suv's body would flex like when turning out of a driveway or a rolly road.
    The other noise was an overall loose trunk lid like the dealership hid a midget with a 2 x 4 in the space where the spare tire would be. he then would knock the wood around just to drive me crazy

The other fix I read was to pull the electric latching mechanism out as it was loose on some X5's. Mine seemed tight so I didn't think that was my issue.

Today I got lucky as the tech marc thompsom at bmw of south albany really seemed to know his stuff. When he took me out for a test drive after he adjusted some of the settings on the upper section of the tailgate (I had not seen these settings referenced in other threads or google searches).
    He said he read of this fix in past service bulletins.

I asked him to show me how he did it because I wanted to pass the fix along to others in the forum with the same issue. He showed me where on each side of the trunk there are rubber bump stops which are adjustable (pic below). You would never know this by looking at them. The large one in the pic I took is spring loaded. You access the adjustment screw (I think he said its an allen head) by popping off the side panel and loosening either one from underneath. The big square one is spring loaded. it will then reset against the hatch by spring pressure. Then tighten that bumper stop.

Same goes for the small round bumper stop. Its not spring loaded, but can be adjusted up and down from underneath inside the same panel. He said he uses a piece of paper and pulls it out to get the right amount of pressure against the lid. Like a dentist does finding high spots with the tape they use.

Im sure these adjustments have been talked about in threads or on google, I just didn't know what I was looking for.

But I was one happy camper driving back to my office this AM "in silence" after two months of listening to creaks and rattles from the tailgate area. My wife has a 2014 Audi Q3 and I was amazed how silent her car is as to creaks or rattles and I was really getting ticked off that my X5 had a 60k list when new and the trunk rattled like hell!

Let me know if this fix helps anyone else.

Last edited by Expidia; 04-26-2017 at 07:58 PM.

My Cars
    2009 550I Sport Package
    This worked perfectly on my 2013 X5 the stop looks different and you need to loosen the large nut from inside and then adjust the bolt that the nut locks, this will move the two stops closer together, end of rattle!
    Last edited by Roadwarrior1956; 08-24-2020 at 12:38 PM.
    "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... -- WOW-- What a Ride!" [author unknown]