Thread: CMJ: 330i + VVTI 1JZ Street/Drift Project

My Cars
    2001 BMW 330i

CMJ: 330i + VVTI 1JZ Street/Drift Project

Hi all.. I come from the Nissan world and finally decided to move into a 'newer' chassis. I will be putting together a VVTI 1JZ 330i over the next couple months.

Here's some pictures of the Nissan. It has since been parted out to fund this project.

My plans are to use a ZF transmission with Collins adapter and flywheel. Southbend Stage 3 Daily clutch. I'm using an EcuMasters EMU Black ECU with drive-by-wire.. At first I am just going to run a factory exhaust manifold and billet upgraded turbo. Top mount manifold / turbo will come later.

Here's the E46 as I got it.

Last edited by cmj317; 04-25-2017 at 09:12 AM.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 330i
    I've put some work in on the car..

Here is the intake side of the JZ in it's convoluted stock form.

I've rerouted and cleaned it up.. Much simpler now.

A Walbro 450lph pump fits in the stock hanger with a small amount of shimming.

Here's the simplified 'power cubby'. Everything I need to power / run the car is labeled.. Useless junk has mostly been removed. This will get a bit leaner when I get the car started and weed out some more of the extraneous stuff.

Finally pulled the motor and started cleaning things up.

Installed the Collins adapter kit.. This allows me to run the ZF transmission on the Toyota motor.. I have decided to push the motor back as far as I can so I will need to shorten the driveshaft and shifter linkage as well as come up with a new transmission mount.

Ready to go in for the first time

I was not happy with the motor mounts that I purchased.. The motor was not straight in either axis.. I waited almost 3 months for the mounts.. I decided to scrap them and had some designed and fabricated elsewhere.. It was a bunch of money (and money wasted on the first set), but the new mounts are incredible.. More on those later.

Here's the crooked motor

My Cars
    Mazda 3
    Sounds like an interesting build; in for updates!

My Cars
    Looking for a BMW
    Why the ZF and not the original Toyota 4 sp auto?

My Cars
    96 328is 6.0L
    Quote Originally Posted by richzx View Post
    4sp auto in a drift car?
    - 96 328is 6.0L. (LS1 to LS2 build thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...ad.php?2098938)
    - 96 328is 5.7L. (LS1 build thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1289987)
    - 95 ///M3 6.0L. (LS2 build thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1619249)

- 97 ///M3. (e46 Fender Flares/track car build thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1727098)
    - 96 328is (Dual Fuel Pump to Surge Tank thread: http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...ad.php?1964025)

My Cars
    2001 BMW 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by richzx View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bimerok View Post
    4sp auto in a drift car?
    This will be mainly a drift car with some road course days as well. Needs to be an MT car.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 330i
    I had new mounts made by a local fab guy. He does a ton of v8/Nissan stuff and is a wizard in creating very simple designs that are very strong.. I believe he FEA tests all of his stuff before it's put on the market.

Anyways.. here are shots of the prototype mounts. Final assembly will be powdercoated and the trans mount is a little beefier.

I had a local shop shorten the factory 2 piece driveshaft for now. Everything lines up great.

A view from the top with the E46 CSF radiator sat in place to verify fitment.

I bought an Mtech bumper and E46JZ intercooler setup off of a guy several months ago for $250.. The bumper will probably not be useable but I didn't have to do any welding or fitting on the intercooler. It was originally on a top mount non VVTI 1JZ.. Things are in similar places with my setup and I was able to pick up some longer silicone couplers to make it all fit for now.

For the cooling system I am using the factory quick connects. I'm going to have a remote expansion tank with radiator cap fabricated and run the Rogue Engineering M3 expansion tank fitting to my setup.

We're about up to date now. I've ordered a Wiring Specialties harness and expect it to be in within the next week. I've got to run an oil return line, install the harness, make a few connections to the car and I should be ready to start it.

My Cars
    E36 M3, jzxE28
    Great progress! Those mounts look sexy.
    instagram @andyitslit

My Cars
    2001 BMW 330i
    Little bit of an update.

Since I was having the wiring harness built by Wiring Specialties I opted to have them change over the coil harness to sequential spark using the Toyota Yaris/Prius coils.. I purchased the bracket from GolebyParts in Australia. I purchased some china coils from a reputable resale company online.. I was able to get smart coils for ~$90.. Only testing will tell if they will hold up to my modest power goals for this season.

Here's the bracket:

With the coils installed:

The reason that I went with this setup is because it's simple and the engine covers still fit. Here it is all put together:

I need to upload the first start video but that was mostly successful. I had set the ECU up with an oil pressure failsafe. I do not yet have the pressure sensor installed so the car would start just fine, but a few seconds later it went to 100% Fuel/Spark cut.. It took a bit of logging to realize what was up, but once that option was turned off the car idled great.

I'll post the video in a bit.. Now I just need to install the front end / cooling system and start getting it tuned in.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 330i
    Here is the initial testing of the Drive By Wire throttle. I'm using the factory E46 pedal and the ECUMasters EMU Black to control the Toyota throttle body.

Here's the first start.

My Cars
    Mazda 3
    Cool beans indeed.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 330i
    Been driving this thing around a bit, doing the tuning. I think i'm having a low fuel pressure issue, I've got a sensor on the way to test it out this coming week.. The car feels very strong is and real nice to drive.

I got it washed up

Then I forgot to close the hood

I'm on the quest for a new hood now.. I've ordered larger injectors so I can turn the car up a bit.. All that's left is figuring out the previous owner's hacked headlight wiring and tidying up the fan power harness. I'll get some pics of it all put together tonight.