My Cars
    X5 35d, 328xi, E36 M3

X5 Trailer Wiring Kit Questions

2013 X5 X-Drive 35D

I've researched high and low but still do not have clear answers for what I'm hoping to install as a DIY project. Any help is appreciated.

I've settled on the OEM hitch (I know about execuhitch, etc.), but the wiring kit is where my questions lie. From what I have read, the OEM wiring harness requires the vehicle be coded to work. Perhaps the below wiring kit is better off in my application? Etrailer tells me the car WOULD NOT have to be coded with this kit, but everything I've read says any wiring kit requires coding to work?? https://www.etrailer.com/Custom-Fit-...119250KIT.html

For what its worth, I won't need a 5 or 7 pin connector of the OEM kit, just the four pin one that comes with this aftermarket kit. I also don't need for the backup camera, proximty warning, etc. functions to work with the trailer connected, but I do want them to work otherwise. Thanks
    Last edited by BMSubie; 04-24-2017 at 03:24 PM.
    97 Cosmos M3 Coupe - Not Stock
    http://

My Cars
    X5 xdrive50i
    If you don't care about the integrations then I guess you can give it a shot. You can install the BMW harness yourself but you do need it coded. Could try a remote coder for that?

My Cars
    07 bmw x5
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan5034 View Post
    If you don't care about the integrations then I guess you can give it a shot. You can install the BMW harness yourself but you do need it coded. Could try a remote coder for that?
    just a follow up question, can you just connect the wires without the kit and not have to be coded

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

My Cars
    X5 xdrive50i
    I think you would have to have some sort of kit because the lights are activated with PWM magic not like the old school of just having 12 volts.

My Cars
    2001 530i, 2007 X5 3.0si
    I installed the OEM hitch with wiring on my e70 2007 X5 about a month ago.

For me, without coding - the running lights, side lights, turn signals, and emergency lights worked.

**The brake lights did not work**

The X5 could also "sense" that the trailer was there and I was given trailer lights out warnings because it did not register a current draw on the trailer lights because they were all LED. (This won't be an issue with normal incandescent bulbs)

The rear parking sensors also turned off on their own. (I was told they would not)

My Cars
    07 bmw x5
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMelnyk View Post
    I installed the OEM hitch with wiring on my e70 2007 X5 about a month ago.

For me, without coding - the running lights, side lights, turn signals, and emergency lights worked.

**The brake lights did not work**

The X5 could also "sense" that the trailer was there and I was given trailer lights out warnings because it did not register a current draw on the trailer lights because they were all LED. (This won't be an issue with normal incandescent bulbs)

The rear parking sensors also turned off on their own. (I was told they would not)
    I dont have any hitch, the bike rack (BMW OEM) is connected on that two pin screw by the rear bumper and the bulbs are not LED'S. Do you have any idea why the stop light dont work

My Cars
    2001 530i, 2007 X5 3.0si
    Quote Originally Posted by jobarsjr View Post
    I dont have any hitch, the bike rack (BMW OEM) is connected on that two pin screw by the rear bumper and the bulbs are not LED'S. Do you have any idea why the stop light dont work

I think I'm not understanding you completely.

Do you have something like this: (The OEM Hitch mounted bike rack)?

Actual Bike Rack.JPG

If so, I don't believe that needs the wiring at all, so everything should work as normal.....

-
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ChrisMelnyk; 11-07-2017 at 10:36 PM. Reason: Wrong Picture

My Cars
    07 bmw x5
    I think I'm not understanding you completely.

Do you have something like this: (The OEM Hitch mounted bike rack)?

Actual Bike Rack.JPG

If so, I don't believe that needs the wiring at all, so everything should work as normal.....

-
    yes its a bmw oem bike rack but it will be connected on that 2 tow covered pins by the bumper not a hitch. mine has no hitch. will post picture tomorrow.

My Cars
    07 bmw x5
    yes its a bmw oem bike rack but it will be connected on that 2 tow covered pins by the bumper not a hitch. mine has no hitch. will post picture tomorrow.

it looks like this but has a tail lights and plate holder on it

My Cars
    07 bmw x5
    it looks like this but has a tail lights and plate holder on it

this is my bike rack. have to take pictures between my two cars inside garage coz it's raining.

My Cars
    2001 525it
    We hand to code it to a x5 we did recently

My Cars
    2001 530i, 2007 X5 3.0si
    Sorry for the late reply.

That's a different type of bike rack than I've seen, but if it has the brake light, you'll need to code.

I've heard stories of guys installing themselves and paying $150-$200 to dealer to code, or I believe you may be able to buy the cable for $30usd and pay someone online $70 or so to code remotely.

Alternatively, if you are extremely proficient with computers, you can buy the cable, (all the programs are available if you know where to look) and you can DIY.

My Cars
    07 bmw x5
    Sorry for the late reply.

That's a different type of bike rack than I've seen, but if it has the brake light, you'll need to code.

I've heard stories of guys installing themselves and paying $150-$200 to dealer to code, or I believe you may be able to buy the cable for $30usd and pay someone online $70 or so to code remotely.

Alternatively, if you are extremely proficient with computers, you can buy the cable, (all the programs are available if you know where to look) and you can DIY.
    yes i could code it using my ISTA RHEINGOLD so I could just splice the wires without using no kit? Thanks for your help in advance

My Cars
    2001 530i, 2007 X5 3.0si
    I'm not sure what would happen if you just spliced the wires into the brake, turn, running lights etc... of the X5.... I recall hearing that the vehicle could sense too much current and give you some strange warnings, but since I didn't go that route, I can't comment.

With the genuine BMW trailer wiring, it made you put a few more fuses in, a new module in, and had all the proper shielding/grommets etc to go with it. That aspect of it was fairly important to me.

If you are able to program yourself, they I'd suggest buying the genuine harness. When I bought my whole kit (hitch mount + wiring), which was all genuine BMW, I paid something like $360 USD from Turner Motor Sports, which I thought was pretty cheap for what I got.

My Cars
    07 bmw x5
    I'm not sure what would happen if you just spliced the wires into the brake, turn, running lights etc... of the X5.... I recall hearing that the vehicle could sense too much current and give you some strange warnings, but since I didn't go that route, I can't comment.

With the genuine BMW trailer wiring, it made you put a few more fuses in, a new module in, and had all the proper shielding/grommets etc to go with it. That aspect of it was fairly important to me.

If you are able to program yourself, they I'd suggest buying the genuine harness. When I bought my whole kit (hitch mount + wiring), which was all genuine BMW, I paid something like $360 USD from Turner Motor Sports, which I thought was pretty cheap for what I got.
    okay thanks for the update. to make it sure on the wirings maybe I'll just have to buy the kit.