Thread: Importing e30 Touring into CA (and do engine swap?)

My Cars
    X3 M40i

Importing e30 Touring into CA (and do engine swap?)

I have found many more generic threads on importing cars generally, but none specific to California and my "master-plan".

The basic plan: I've been having so much fun working on my e36 M3 track car recently, I now have the itch to get an older BMW, tastefully retromod it, and have a one-of-a-kind 3rd car. I'm a bit of a wagon fetishist and have always loved the e30's looks, so I'm pretty settled on an e30 Touring. Does anyone here have experience (or can point me to an up-to-date summary) of the approximate cost and hoops I'd have to jump through to 1) import the car, 2) get it lab tested, and 3) registered in CA. Once it's tagged, I'd spend a couple years doing the full restomod (custom plaid interior, new paint, rebuilt engine) -- I'm envisioning something like a DIY attempt at a Singer 911 or David Brown Mini.

The master plan: Even cooler, would be doing a higher power engine swap, perhaps something like the S62V8 or even the more modest S52 or S54 I6. I'm also wondering if this might actually make it easier to pass CARB, i.e., I would take the engine with all emissions/exhaust equipment from a more modern US-legal car (e36/e39/e46, etc) and drop that into the e30 Touring. My theory here (perhaps very wrong) is getting a Euro spec e30 to pass CA smog will be very hard (perhaps impossible, I have never seen one in CA). I realize mechanically the swap massively ups the ante. Also, if I went the swap route -- is there are preferred engine (that adds sufficient power but is easiest to fit under hood, get running, minimal custom fabrication, etc)?

My target budget would be $25-35K (basic plan), maybe up to $50K for master plan with higher-end interior work. Is this reasonable? The alternative is buying a e30 M3, but I've seen a lot of them around lately, and I'd rather build and own a unicorn.
    Last edited by wintershade; 04-24-2017 at 04:33 PM.

My Cars
    91 318is. 88 325 vert
    Contact the guys from Salt lake euros...you can check em on youtube. They imported a touring and did tons of stuff to it including a s52 swap, if i am not mistake....

richardodn is offline Old Guy BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    20 440ix cab, 12 X3 35ix
    https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...r-personal-use

In a nutshell
    Cars over 21 years old have no EPA compliance restrictions
    Cars over 25 years old have no DOT safety restrictions
    "Howdy, Folks!"

1986 Delphin 528e - Roof rack equipped lumber hauler.
    1989 Zinnoberrot 325iX Sedan - I miss this car. (Deceased)
    1998 Avus Blau 328iC - Someone else's project now
    2008 Platinum-Beige X3 3.0si - Current project
    2012 Alpine White X3 xDrive35i - My new snowmobile.
    2020 Estoril Blue 440i xDrive cabrio - This car is a blast to drive.

My Cars
    X3 M40i
    Quote Originally Posted by richardodn View Post
    https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...r-personal-use

In a nutshell
    Cars over 21 years old have no EPA compliance restrictions
    Cars over 25 years old have no DOT safety restrictions
    if only things were so simple here in the California Republic where the CA EPA and Air Resource Board enforce some of the strictest standards in the world. Sure, I could import the car legally and tow it to car shows, but I want to drive around town in my Ultimate Driving Machine.

This is the labyrinth I need help navigating... or really where to even begin.

https://www.arb.ca.gov/html/master_f...t_cars_faq.htm

1975 model year vehicles to the present: (EXCLUDING any vehicle obtained by a California resident within two years of its date of production) require a "Certificate of Conformance" issued by the ARB after a successful laboratory test. This test is administered to the same standards required of new vehicle manufacturers, and for the model year of the vehicle.

My Cars
    20 440ix cab, 12 X3 35ix
    Based on a quick reading of that page, CA ARB requires you to meet the emissions requirements corresponding to the car's original manufacture year. That shouldn't be too much of an issue. Depending on the original market and model, the engine and controls are virtually the same as the US models. Are the CA E30 models any different than the 49 state models? Worst case is you'd need to swap catalyst and engine management systems over from a US model to get it imported.
    "Howdy, Folks!"

My Cars
    20 440ix cab, 12 X3 35ix
    This story had a happy ending http://www.mye28.com/viewtopic.php?t=59600
    However it was a special case.

First thing I would do is locate a conformance lab and find out what the costs for the conformance testing certificate will be. If you aren't prepared to pay those costs, then yours is a non-starter.

- - - Updated - - -

And some practical info http://www.importavehicle.info/2013/...-or-newer.html

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.importavehicle.com/california-buyer
    Last edited by richardodn; 04-26-2017 at 07:32 AM.
    "Howdy, Folks!"

My Cars
    325ix, 325ix, 540i
    I did not realize it was that big of a pain to bring a car to CA. My gf and I kick around the idea of San Diego every once in awhile. But I guess I can never move to CA then? Because if I have to pay $2-3k per car to get it tested... ffs...
    If your e30 runs bad, switch to Megasquirt first. Then try new spark plugs, cap and rotor, wires, oxygen sensor, crank shaft position sensor, coolant temp sensor, air flow meter, idle control valve, throttle position sensor, digital motor electronics unit, harmonic balancer, fuel injectors, engine harness...

My Cars
    91 318is. 88 325 vert
    I am in san diego..and yes, a massive pain in the ass these restrictions out here.

My Cars
    1987 325e, 1989 325i
    Just buy a condo in Nevada somewhere and tag all the cars you want. Might be cheaper if you think you'll buy more cars.

My Cars
    X3 M40i
    Quote Originally Posted by 325e '87 View Post
    Just buy a condo in Nevada somewhere and tag all the cars you want. Might be cheaper if you think you'll buy more cars.
    In all seriousness you might have a point. I could probably end up in the black if I rent the thing out on AirBnB. But for the time being, let's just assume my only residence is here in California.
    Last edited by wintershade; 04-29-2017 at 07:35 PM.