Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Next stage of our build. Warning: Lots of Questions...

My Cars
    135i, 1SMC, S54 Roadster

Talking Next stage of our build. Warning: Lots of Questions...

Hi Everyone!

I must apologize for hardly being around as of late. Been finishing grad school and post grad school in addition to studying for and taking the exam I must pass before finally starting my career. In any event all has been completed and my dad and I are finally going to do what we've wanted to do for several years now: Headers and A lightweight flywheel/Clutch combo. We have already done: the suspension (TCK DA coilovers, sway bars etc etc), 3.73 diff, Wheels/tires, Randy forbes trunk floor reinforcement kit, Meistershaft exhaust, and a whole host of smaller items.

Since our car is an '01 with around 19k we've always tried to go with the best quality components and this stage is no exception.

Here is what I have so far for this stage of the madness...

Headers/Exhaust/ECU

Stepped headers. The only stepped headers I've found are the supersprint ones that Turner Sells, but according to them they don't fit our cars. Does anyone have any more info? Or perhaps a similar set up that would also work?

Mid-pipe. This is where I really need help. I have looked and looked and the only mid-pipe I've found is the supersprint with sport cats. Since we want to get rid of the cats (where we live doesn't do smog testing so that is not an issue) that is not really an option. Anyone have any further ideas?

ECU. I've come across a couple companies tuning S54s but I have no experience with any of them. Who do you all use? Goals for the tune: Overall performance compatibility with the catless headers/lack of O2 sensors etc. Is there a way to increase throttle response? What else should I be considering?

Flywheel/Clutch

I'm leaning toward the JB racing flywheel and clutch found on Turner. I'm aware of all the issues with a lightweight flyweel and I'm not worried. Our car gets driven only really during spirited driving and--frankly--I prefer a fairly raw driving experience.

For this stage of things I think that's all. Is there anything else we should be considering? Thanks in advance for your help! Our car wouldn't be what it is today without you all!!

My Cars
    2001 M Coupe, 2006 M3
    pretty sure the V2 headers fit.

EDIT: http://www.eatsleeptinker.com/2013/0...igh-flow-cats/

My Cars
    2001 BMW M Roadster
    ECU. I've come across a couple companies tuning S54s but I have no experience with any of them. Who do you all use? Goals for the tune: Overall performance compatibility with the catless headers/lack of O2 sensors etc. Is there a way to increase throttle response? What else should I be considering?
    Check out the Conforti Shark race tune. They have a tune specifically for catless headers. Going custom tune is always best, as I've been reminded countless times on this forum, but the Shark would be the cheapest option at $350. I found out after purchasing a Shark tune for myself that the previous owner had my car custom tuned by Jailbreak (now known as GSR Technik). They're in California, though. I've tried multiple times to contact these guys and can't get a hold of them as I want to find out what kind of tune they performed on my car. And if I had the correct Shark tune you're looking for, I'd sell you my unused one. But unfortunately, I don't have the one you want.

On a separate note, I just had a 3.64 diff installed on mine. It's great and definitely worth it. Was considering a 3.73, but all the ones I saw on eBay and Craigslist had 150k + miles on them for the same price I found mine with 62k miles. Does your speedo read correctly since the change? Mine reads almost 10mph higher than it should.
    2001 BMW M Roadster - Steel Gray over Imola Red/Black (1 of 8), Eisenmann sport exhaust, KW V3 coilovers, Strong Strut engine brace, Randy Forbes subframe reinforcement, GSR Technik tune, 3.64 Torsen LSD...Weekend toy!
    ">

My Cars
    135i, 1SMC, S54 Roadster
    I had heard the V2 headers fit but confirmation is always nice. Now to find mid-pipes without cats...

As far as the software... I forgot to mention that the car already has a Dinan tune... but I have no idea how it will interact with the headers. I personally have never been that impressed with the dinan software so anything better would be worth the money to me. I'm definitely thinking we'd go custom. The only problem with that is that we are located in the mid-west and there's no place near to us that I would trust. Do the custom shops remap the ECU then send it back or do they need the car? I've heard both....

As far as the diff and the speedo. Ours is *at least* 5mph off (high). I never really even use it unless I'm in a situation where I need to know how fast I'm going (I.e. when the police are around ). Otherwise engine sound, RPM, and gear give me all the information I need.

My Cars
    :sraC
    I use the following headers on my S54 M Coupe:
    http://www.custom-performance.net/pr...idcategory=244

My section 1 is as follows:
    http://www.custom-performance.net/pr...idcategory=562

I kept the stock H-Pipe as opposed to going X-pipe. Dinan cans(aka potato shooters) finish out the back. All tuned with Evolve software (which also handles my CSL-esque CF airbox with Alpha-N and Dinan ITBs).

My setup sounds very close to this, no more typical S54 rasp:
    (wait til the 00:50 mark for some WOT, and again at 01:30)
    Last edited by AutoM3otives; 04-24-2017 at 08:38 PM.
    M3 E30 | 190E-16V | M Coupe E36/8 | S2000

My Cars
    135i, 1SMC, S54 Roadster
    Thank you! That sounds pretty tasty. Any advantages to keeping the H-pipe? How do you like the evolve tune?

My Cars
    135i, 1SMC, S54 Roadster

My Cars
    :sraC
    I stayed with the H-pipe over and X-pipe because I've researched online that H-pipes are more advantageous for torque down low, as opposed to an X-pipe for increased hp up top. Most of my driving is street/city and I prefer the extra torque, as I barely ring the car out to redline (or have the space to).

Our section 1 (for S54 cars) are already straight pipes, they don't contain any resonators, so unsure if you want to put the Turner section 1 which is also straight pipe.
    M3 E30 | 190E-16V | M Coupe E36/8 | S2000

My Cars
    135i, 1SMC, S54 Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by AutoM3otives View Post
    I stayed with the H-pipe over and X-pipe because I've researched online that H-pipes are more advantageous for torque down low, as opposed to an X-pipe for increased hp up top. Most of my driving is street/city and I prefer the extra torque, as I barely ring the car out to redline (or have the space to).

Our section 1 (for S54 cars) are already straight pipes, they don't contain any resonators, so unsure if you want to put the Turner section 1 which is also straight pipe.
    Ah Thank you! I assume that is the case even with a tune? I've also heard the same for the V1 headers versus the V2. Our driving situations sound to be very similar though our car does get driven quite a bit on country roads so the high end power may be more useful to us. Something else to consider....

As far as the Section 1... I was more inclined to upgrade because it was my understanding that the SS Section 1 has a larger diameter than the stock does, but now I cannot find where I found that information so now I'm not so sure....

My Cars
    Z3 Coupe individual
    For US S54 M Coupe there is full line up on supersprint. Dont believe anything else than their actual site:
    http://www.supersprint.com/ww-en/per...usa-model.aspx

Z3 & E36 RamAir systems, send private message for more information.

My Cars
    '01 3.0 ZCoupe

e
    Epic will also have a tune for the car, and Randy can customize it to get rid of any lights that you will encounter from the cat delete, and (if you have it) the air pump removal. My guess is the EPIC headers are some of the best, although I have no experience with them. They were likely built using the dyno to wring out every last bit of power. Randy Mueller was the TA3 champion last year in Trans-Am. He knows how to build a fast car, and win with it.

My Cars
    135i, 1SMC, S54 Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by bionicbelly View Post
    e
    Epic will also have a tune for the car, and Randy can customize it to get rid of any lights that you will encounter from the cat delete, and (if you have it) the air pump removal. My guess is the EPIC headers are some of the best, although I have no experience with them. They were likely built using the dyno to wring out every last bit of power. Randy Mueller was the TA3 champion last year in Trans-Am. He knows how to build a fast car, and win with it.
    That is great!! Thank you! I'll contact Epic/Randy (I assume you mean Randy Mueller and not Randy Forbes?).

P.S. what is this air pump removal you speak of? All my research and this is the first I've heard of it.......

My Cars
    '01 3.0 ZCoupe
    Not sure if that is an s54 thing or not. I have zero experience with that engine. I had one on the m54 in my car. It injects air into the exhaust for emissions purposes. And yes, Randy mueller. He took time to answer any questions I had, and has a great product. Easy to use, a little on the pricy side, but worth it imo.
    Last edited by bionicbelly; 04-26-2017 at 05:25 PM.

My Cars
    135i, 1SMC, S54 Roadster
    Not sure if that is an s54 thing or not. I have zero experience with that engine. I had one on the m54 in my car. It injects air into the exhaust for emissions purposes. And yes, Randy mueller. He took time to answer any questions I had, and has a great product. Easy to use, a little on the pricy side, but worth it imo.
    If its on the S54 its the first I've heard of it.... I'll certainly look into epic! I had not previously considered them as we were somewhat dead set on the supersprint. Thank you again!!!

My Cars
    '01 3.0 ZCoupe
    https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...ir-pump-design

Do not need if you have headers. there is a little block off plate you can buy from almost any parts dealer that takes the whole system and deposits in the trash.

My Cars
    135i, 1SMC, S54 Roadster
    Think we've about decided on the Epic tune. Anything else we should be considering? I.E. the CSL air box?

My Cars
    '01 3.0 ZCoupe
    Definitely make a call to Randy. (Epic) and he should be able to fill you in. He is seriously an expert at tuning the S54. I am sure there will be adjustments to the tune if you have a different air box.

My Cars
    z3
    I love my CSL box, but with the kind of money people pay for them (in Z3 fitment especially) plus all these other mods, I'd just be looking F/I personally

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    135i, 1SMC, S54 Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    I love my CSL box, but with the kind of money people pay for them (in Z3 fitment especially) plus all these other mods, I'd just be looking F/I personally
    We've thought about it... But Honestly I'm not sure we want THAT much power. I've never driven a F/I s54 coupe/roadster but it seems to me that 420+ whp might be a little much. Our main goal is to use parts/mods that help the s54 and drivetrain/chassis work the best it can. Just my thought...

My Cars
    '01 3.0 ZCoupe
    I will never have a SC'd or turbo car again. I drive my car to the track, flog it, drive it home and put it in the garage, and it is ready to go the next time. It is a good thing. F/I is fun, but you are going to break things, or have to constantly fix/re-engineer things, even with OEM stuff. Been there, never going back.

My Cars
    135i, 1SMC, S54 Roadster
    I will never have a SC'd or turbo car again. I drive my car to the track, flog it, drive it home and put it in the garage, and it is ready to go the next time. It is a good thing. F/I is fun, but you are going to break things, or have to constantly fix/re-engineer things, even with OEM stuff. Been there, never going back.
    I've never owned an F/I car... Unless you count the two N54 powered cars my dad and I have... but your story is very common. I'm sure we will have spent more initially doing what we are doing... But at least I know the thing isnt going to blow apart. Plus our car doesn't even have 20,000 miles and is absolutely mint. The only thing we can't remove and put back to stock is the Randy Forbes reinforcement kit. Not sure I'd really be willing to do anything to "invasive."

My Cars
    135i, 1SMC, S54 Roadster
    Well... Just as we were about to purchase everything... I guess the top leaked somewhere and the floor got wet.. Along with the brake control module. looks like its going to be about $2,500 to fix plus to fix whatever is leaking..... Oh goodie.

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    Have you read the codes in the car for yourself? There isn't much in the brakes that costs near that much to fix.
    -Abel

- E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods.
    - 2000 Z3: Many Mods.
    - 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg
    - 1999 S52 Estoril M Coupe
    - 2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 270hp/430ft-lbs
    - 2019 M2 Competition, self-tuned, 504whp
    - 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    135i, 1SMC, S54 Roadster
    I'm going off what my dad said (he talked to the service advisor) so he's probably confused. The tire pressure and DSC lights were on. I'm guessing the DSC module might have been fried?

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    Or a wheelspeed sensor, or a yaw rate sensor...

See my diagnostics thread, and build yourself a cheap easy diagnosis laptop.

But instead of the "KKL" cable posted there, get a "K+DCAN" cable (search for a green mainboard one) so you can use with the 1 series also. Ask if you need a recommendation.
    Last edited by 328 Power 04; 05-24-2017 at 10:46 AM.
    -Abel

- E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods.
    - 2000 Z3: Many Mods.
    - 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg
    - 1999 S52 Estoril M Coupe
    - 2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 270hp/430ft-lbs
    - 2019 M2 Competition, self-tuned, 504whp
    - 2016 Mini Cooper S

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast