Thread: Advice Needed- SC S54 E30 M3 as track car

My Cars
    997 Turbo & 1973 911

Advice Needed- SC S54 E30 M3 as track car

Hello everyone, I could really use some constructive feedback here. I have a stage 2 gintani supercharged (intercooled) S54 E30 m3, caged, willwoods, e36 m3 trans, 3.15 diff, suspension/chassis mods, supporting mods, etc. Good for about 580hp. The S54 has seen the end of is blown life and now is due for a swap out or rebuild.

I absolutely love this car as a street car. It's a monster unicorn. I own and have owned some great cars of all different values, but am pressed with a big problem: I'm currently without a track car! I've got a gt3 on order but it may be 9 months out... and I can't wait that long, nor do I know if I want too many hard Miles (over revs) on it.

The question: Can this setup turn better times than a well setup NA S54 in my chassis?

I live in SoCal and have hot summers. I would need a meth injection at a minimum, but that's not my main concern. The weight balance is is off on the car, but im not sure by how much. I'm having the suspension rebuilt with the motor as the springs weren't rated for the SC and S54 setup, so the car plowed in turns with the tired and underrated suspension.

Can a new set of coilovers and clever work get this little chassis to perform with the added weight and power, or will I turn faster consistent laps with a NA S54 with some bolt ons (cal intake, headers, tune, etc).

I'm just a novice driver but I really do enjoy my track days when I can get out there. I don't mind spending the money for the new motor, new coilovers, plus another $5k or so to get this dialed in, be it supercharged or NA.

Thank you all for the help!

Seth
    Z3M Coupe, 1973 911 Track Rat Never-ending project, and a long list of other past Porsches and street toys.

My Cars
    Various junk
    I think a well-tuned naturally aspirated S54 could be quite potent in your chassis. The supercharger you have sounds like it'd really put down some eyeball-flattening levels of power! I don't really know how it would affect reliability, but to me, it represents another thing that can go wrong.

Do you have camber plates? If you don't, or if you run near-stock levels of camber, that really hurts turn-in.

Have you installed a custom differential? I think if you get a nice diff and some coilovers, the car will put a smile on your face on the street and the track.

Any pictures of this car? It sounds sick!

My Cars
    Cayman S, Golf GSW, E30
    Quote Originally Posted by FredK View Post
    I think a well-tuned naturally aspirated S54 could be quite potent in your chassis. The supercharger you have sounds like it'd really put down some eyeball-flattening levels of power! I don't really know how it would affect reliability, but to me, it represents another thing that can go wrong.

Do you have camber plates? If you don't, or if you run near-stock levels of camber, that really hurts turn-in.

Have you installed a custom differential? I think if you get a nice diff and some coilovers, the car will put a smile on your face on the street and the track.

^This fool has an S54 in an E30, btw.

I'd lose the supercharger if it were me. Shorten the gearing for sure. Get the suspension right. It'd be more than awesome.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    I agree with above, I'd lose the S/C. Let's assume you get the chassis sorted out (I have no idea what an S54 does to an E30 chassis in a track environment). As a novice, you'll still spend a TON of track time before you reach the limit of an NA S54 powered E30.

My Cars
    e36 M3 x 2
    Quote Originally Posted by aeronaut View Post
    As a novice, you'll still spend a TON of track time before you reach the limit of an NA S54 powered E30.
    This.

Also, it will certainly be more reliable naturally aspirated. 580 hp in that car sounds borderline uncontrollable. My s54 swapped e36 requires very careful application of the throttle coupled with quick hands and it only makes 310 whp. CSL intake, cams, supersprint headers and tune if you really want more power (probably in the 340-350 whp neighborhood). These motors were meant to be naturally aspirated.

My Cars
    '99 M Coupe
    If you are a novice, you have way more car than skill. It takes skill to prevent the rear from stepping out under throttle, and to catch it when it does, lest you hurt organic or inorganic things. Also, the horsepower will hide your lack of cornering speed. Your speeds will be blinding, but you don't mention any safety equipment (roll bar/cage, seats, harness, HANS).

Take the M Coupe to the track, unless is a garage queen?
    Dan Chadwick
    Boston Chapter BMW CCA Instructor Development.
    Near-Orbital Space Monkeys, E30 M50-ish
    Driving Evals on-line evaluations for Driving Schools. Paper forms are just wrong.

My Cars
    88 E30 M3 S65
    Not sure what to say...but I do have an E30 M3 with an S54...not sure 580hp would be all that much fun.
    It's not speed that kills, it's the speed difference that does. Obviously you aren't going fast enough.

Turning Benjamins into noise since 1997

I read a list of the 100 things you MUST do before you die. Funny, "Yelling 'HELP'" didn't make the list!

My Cars
    3 - E30 M3s, '04 Ford F350, '06 Audi A3
    Spend that money to stick an S14 back in it and you will learn how to drive with momentum which will serve you forever in any car.
    Not trying to be a smart ass but lots of HP / Torque can cover a lot of bad driving.
    Last edited by jimmypet; 04-25-2017 at 10:08 PM.
    jimmy p.

88 E30 M3 Zinnoberot - street
    88 E30 M3 Lachsilber - SCCA SPU
    87 E30 M3 Prodrive British Touring Car 2.0 Litre
    04 Ford F350 - V10
    06 Audi A3 Brilliant Red / 2.0 / DSG

My Cars
    997 Turbo & 1973 911
    Quote Originally Posted by FredK View Post

I've got camber and an m coupe 3.15 diff. It will likely need a different diff for the track, but it should be fine for a few shakedown days. Thanks for the advice!

- - - Updated - - -

This was very helpful to hear that you've tracked a swapped e36 and find it plenty of power.

Backstory- I've had a 997tt modded to fantasy level that I tracked, had a 997gt3 rs, and lots of other toys and they are all very fast and fun. My fear has been the NA e30 would be lack luster.

I had a z4m I tracked a few times and it felt nice but that was some time ago, and the budget was tighter so bigger power wasn't really in the books.

Thanks for the feedback!

- - - Updated - - -

The car is caged, buckets, harnesses. Just need Hans and I'm set.

M coupe has been sold for a few months or else that would be what is on the track. Only had a chance to autocross it a few times. Time to update the signature.

My Cars
    '86 325e, '14 VW EPA
    Can you elaborate on "tracked"? Your first post says you're a novice, then you list track experience with a 997tt, GT3 RS and a Z4M. You may be in a better position to answer your question than most, as a lot of experienced guys have never driven a truly powerful car on track.

I think you'll be fine either way you go, the blown path will be more fun but my only concern would be what else is there to make it last. Most of the boosted cars see a few dyno and street pulls and maybe an occasional dragstrip visit. A single session of hard racetrack use can put more stress on the engine than a few years worth of consistent drag racing so the supporting cast of oiling and cooling needs to be appropriate (and not just for the engine but power steering and gearbox oils, more torque = more normal force on gears = more heat). You list 'supporting mods' but also state that the car doesn't handle well which to me says it was never extensively track tested (the understeer isn't the engine's fault but the setup).

If you keep the blower I would also ditch the ZF transmission. It won't last. With this kind of power level they tend to crap out in road racing conditions. Best guess I've seen is that under such high longitudinal Gs, high torque and splash oiling/cooling, the press-fit 3rd gear comes loose. Put the 6 speed getrag in.

My Cars
    Too many...or...NOT
    Novice Driver with GT3 on the way..and mondo power E30.....i say let those stay in the garage...and work your way up....so that you develop good skills and reduce the probability of wrinkling one of them.

What does that mean....get a lower power car for a fraction of the upgrade costs...put some good maintenance in it...some good safety...and go...no R Comps....like a E92 328I....nice/evolved car....a bit heavy...could be lightened...less in value...you won't cry if you have an incident while learning...

Just my $0.02
    Nitin G. Shanbhag
    BMWCCA #101510
    87 951, 88 M3 2.5, 88 E30 S52 Project, 95 M3/2 Slicktop, 96 E36 "TrackBeater", 97 M3/4 Slicktop, 97 TJ, 98 M3/4 Daily, 00 F150 7700
    E36 TrackBeater Project Thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=884145

My Cars
    2002, 320is, 328is, M3
    I started with a 1997 328is and it slowly morphed during the years. My first track car was 2400 lbs and 500 rwh. It was a disaster. Fast as hell on the straights but I was afraid everywhere else. In contrast I have had instructors with spec Miatas take me for rides at big tracks and be amazed at who or what had to point us by. Now I am an instructor myself with over 100 events. Some of what I did, I did simply because I could afford it but it was stupid and a waste of time and money. You are going to do what you want anyway so most posts here are worthless, including mine. Seat time and learning that horsepower is not the key to fast laps took me about 10 years to learn. Not meant to be harsh but it was my experience.

My Cars
    2005 M3
    Can you realistically rebuild a reliable S/C S54 in the 8+ months remaining? Summer track season also calls for a coolsuit if you're already in the market for a HANS.

Of course, on the unsoliticed advice front, it seems you're looking for a stopgap track toy. You might consider a track-prepped horsepower demon you can put preventive maintenance costs into and off-load once the S54 is dialed in or the GT3 arrives. This option presumes you're keeping the E30, once fixed (I would). Good luck and please keep us updated with what path you choose.