Thread: Rotational, metallic dragging/scraping noise

My Cars
    1996 BMW 328is

Rotational, metallic dragging/scraping noise

Recently, my car has started to make a rhythmic, metallic 'scraping' sound from the right side at low speeds (5-35 mph). It makes a sort of "chh chh chh" sound as the wheels rotate.

My wheels and tires are brand new. I thought it might be a bent dust shield, but pushing both the front and rear one back slightly with a screw driver changed nothing.

Do E36 brake pads make the 'wear indicator' noise in addition to having a wear sensor? My sensor light has not tripped but I am aware that the system is not always reliable.

I plan to put my car on a lift tomorrow to check for a worn wheel bearing (although this does not sound or feel like one), worn pads and debris in the brake assembly. Anything else I should look for?

My Cars
    03 525it/5, 1967 GTO
    Can you isolate it to the front or rears? I had a similar noise and it turned out to be my parking brakes dragging. I reset them per the Bentley and no more noise.

My Cars
    1996 BMW 328is
    Quote Originally Posted by Twistytee View Post
    Can you isolate it to the front or rears? I had a similar noise and it turned out to be my parking brakes dragging. I reset them per the Bentley and no more noise.
    Hard to tell while driving it around. I'll spin the wheels when it's in the air tomorrow. Any quick tests I can do with the parking brake to see if I can rule it out?

My Cars
    03 525it/5, 1967 GTO
    You can check the parking brake setting with the wheels still on the car. Pull one lug bolt out on each side, jack up the rear end, and spin the open lug hole until it's at about at 2 o'clock on driver's side or 10 o'clock on passenger side. Peer thru with a flashlight and you'll be able to see the gear on the brake tensioner. Using a flat head screw driver, moving the gear down each click loosens the brake shoes and moving it up tightens it. You can also lock in tension by lifting the leather boot on the e brake handle and tightening or lossen the nuts to change tension on the cables.

Did is you check the thickness of your brake pads when installing the new wheels? It's possible you're hearing pads drag on the discs but doesn't sound likely. Also, depending on the offset of the wheels you chose or the shape of the spokes, you can get interference on the calipers themselves or rubbing on suspension components, fender liners, etc.

My Cars
    1998 M3 Vert, 1992 318i
    Wheel bearing is possible (likely). Grab the tire while it's on the lift and see if there's any play laterally across it.
    Caprica Junkie

My Cars
    1996 BMW 328is
    Quote Originally Posted by Twistytee View Post
    You can check the parking brake setting with the wheels still on the car. Pull one lug bolt out on each side, jack up the rear end, and spin the open lug hole until it's at about at 2 o'clock on driver's side or 10 o'clock on passenger side. Peer thru with a flashlight and you'll be able to see the gear on the brake tensioner. Using a flat head screw driver, moving the gear down each click loosens the brake shoes and moving it up tightens it. You can also lock in tension by lifting the leather boot on the e brake handle and tightening or lossen the nuts to change tension on the cables.

Did is you check the thickness of your brake pads when installing the new wheels? It's possible you're hearing pads drag on the discs but doesn't sound likely. Also, depending on the offset of the wheels you chose or the shape of the spokes, you can get interference on the calipers themselves or rubbing on suspension components, fender liners, etc.
    I didn't. I replaced my front pads and rotors about two years/12,000 miles ago and while I do drive spiritedly and the brakes experience a good amount of hard use, I don't think they would be worn down enough to create that noise at this point. The rears haven't been replaced in a while, though, and might be causing the issue.

I highly doubt the wheels are causing the problem. They're 17x8 et40 with 225/45/R17 tires, so nothing extreme.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by boarder2k7 View Post
    Wheel bearing is possible (likely). Grab the tire while it's on the lift and see if there's any play laterally across it.
    It's possible, but I've personally never seen a failing wheel bearing exhibit these kinds of symptoms.

My Cars
    e36 323i, M3 3.2
    could very likely be the handbrakes, i had that before too.

i've also seen little stones and dirt between the brakedisc and heatshield creating noise. maybe somehow your heatshield is bent and touches your disc.

but you should probably see what's going on when inspecting it all

My Cars
    1996 BMW 328is
    Positive but annoying news: the noise went away without explanation. Could have just been a rock stuck somewhere in the brake assembly. Who knows?

Oh well.

My Cars
    Nil BMWs as of 2020
    Was going to post, could be a rock in the brake assembly. Had it happen to me and thought it was something somewhat major, turns out the rock had gotten caught in there and the brake shield had bent inwards holding it tightly in place. After contorting the shield, the rocks fell out and the problem is gone

My Cars
    '94 325iC, '08 328i, E93
    My first instinct is brakes. You can easily inspect by taking the tires off.

You have a 25-ish year old car, there's no telling from here what parts might be on it. You have to look and see.