eBMWParts

Thread: Different suspension front/rear bad???

My Cars
    1996 bmw 328is turbo

Different suspension front/rear bad???

I got a killer deal for front Bilstein pss9's, but no rear. I'm running hr race springs with Bilstein struts in the rear and I was wondering if it would would throw off the balance/handling running different suspension setups on the front and the rear?

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    Nothing specifically wrong, no. The thing to keep in mind is that full suspension kits are designed for proper balance across the entire car. You can in theory achieve the same thing by mixing and matching (front to back not side to side) but you should be sure you know what you're doing.

Definitely not recommended if you can avoid it.
    1999 M3/2/5 - Titanium Silver - Track/Weekend Toy

My Cars
    various
    as long as your spring rates are appropriately proportioned and your shock valving matches, you should be ok.

If you're mixing and matching off the shelf parts and don't know what the previous sentence means, you're gonna have a bad time.

Cars

My Cars
    16' STI DD, 97' M3 Track
    Not to thread jack as I think the OP's question was answered.. but my coilovers came standard 500f/500r with swift in the front and some regular lowering springs in the rear (see image below).

Would it be unwise (or not recommended) to upgrade the rear springs to 600 or 650? Preferably swift springs to match the front but could be others.

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    Are your shocks adjustable? If so, I don't see why you couldn't. You might want to tweak the stiffness on the rear shocks to play better with stiffer springs, but there shouldn't be any issues. Even if not, going from 500-600 isn't a huge jump. I know Ground Control where I got my suspension from lets you choose various spring rate combinations and the rest of the kit stays the same aside from the adjustment on the shocks.
    1999 M3/2/5 - Titanium Silver - Track/Weekend Toy

My Cars
    16' STI DD, 97' M3 Track
    Quote Originally Posted by TostitoBandito View Post
    Are your shocks adjustable? If so, I don't see why you couldn't. You might want to tweak the stiffness on the rear shocks to play better with stiffer springs, but there shouldn't be any issues. Even if not, going from 500-600 isn't a huge jump. I know Ground Control where I got my suspension from lets you choose various spring rate combinations and the rest of the kit stays the same aside from the adjustment on the shocks.
    They are one way adjustable.. Also the car is 98% track and the 100-150 stiffer in the rear is (from what I've head) a good set-up