Thread: $450 e21 Vinyl Wrapped ORANGE

My Cars
    e82, e34 touring, e21

$450 e21 Vinyl Wrapped ORANGE

Dear all,

Watch us vinyl wrap the $450 1981 BMW e21 GLOSS ORANGE. Hope you enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9Y-X23xmIo

My Cars
    1983 320is S52/2003 VR6T
    What brand of vinyl cost $450? I wrap cars and my cost is more than this.
    Last edited by pofo; 04-23-2017 at 12:28 PM.

My Cars
    E21 323i, E36 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by pofo View Post
    What brand of vinyl cost $450? I wrap cars and my cost is more than this.
    I think he meant the car was $450

My Cars
    1983 320is S52/2003 VR6T
    I am guilty of not watching the video so you might be right.

My Cars
    e82, e34 touring, e21
    I am guilty of not watching the video so you might be right.
    No worries, my title is misleading and the video is too long, so I apologize. The car was $450, as for the wrap, I am using Avery Dennison Pro, Gloss Orange, a bit pricey, but it's under $600 (including being extremely conservative on the amount of excess wrap per each panel, and just chopping it off). I'll elaborate on prices in the final video (Part 3), which includes how everyone can get discounts on vinyl wrap with a simple trick. It will also include a very ostentatious mod, just for the heck of it.

My Cars
    1991 BMW E30 318is
    Pretty impressive work, looks great. Im going to try to wrap my e30 eventually as the paint is less than perfect. Please update us with part three.

My Cars
    1983 320is S52/2003 VR6T
    Quote Originally Posted by Bairdogg View Post
    Pretty impressive work, looks great. Im going to try to wrap my e30 eventually as the paint is less than perfect. Please update us with part three.
    Make sure you fix all imperfection in the paint as you will still see it threw the wrap. Also if you fix anything make sure you color match the paint or you will see a slight color change threw the warp.

A wrap is more of a protection layer for your paint and to be honest it more money than repainting your car. But it's 100% removable and does not hurt the paint.

My Cars
    e82, e34 touring, e21
    Make sure you fix all imperfection in the paint as you will still see it threw the wrap. Also if you fix anything make sure you color match the paint or you will see a slight color change threw the warp.

A wrap is more of a protection layer for your paint and to be honest it more money than repainting your car. But it's 100% removable and does not hurt the paint.

Ditto these words of wisdom in regards to paint imperfections. I will be showing some of the noticeable areas of imperfections in part 3 of the video. As far as making sure that the panels match paint, one way to prevent seeing through the wrap is to not stretch the material so much and only apply heat when needed. I only used a heat gun (actually a blow dryer) for 3 things: to fix little imperfections, on corners, and when finished with the wrap I used a micro fiber cloth to wipe down the hood while applying very minimal heat to seal the adhesive (in this step keep in mind the wrap was complete). I think one issue that many people have when wrapping is that they apply heat consistently and stretch the material while applying heat which causes the material to be slightly see through. I will be vinyl wrapping my e34 touring next and will explain the process more in depth in that video.
    Last edited by mossberg128i; 04-24-2017 at 07:38 PM.

My Cars
    1991 BMW E30 318is

That's good advice. Not really going for a show car look, just something cheap and shitty until I can afford a professional (i.e. not MAACO) paint job. Call it a learning experience. Who knows, I might not wrap it as I need a new rear quarter panel to be installed and painted first anyway (damn rust)

My Cars
    1983 320is S52/2003 VR6T
    Even with out heat and or stretching, the vinyl is not 100% opaque. Also if you have a panel painted and an other one primed when you lay the vinyl down you will notice a slight color change because the base color is different. I have seen this several times with different brands.

My Cars
    1983 320I, 1986 325E
    Quote Originally Posted by Bairdogg View Post
    That's good advice. Not really going for a show car look, just something cheap and shitty until I can afford a professional (i.e. not MAACO) paint job. Call it a learning experience. Who knows, I might not wrap it as I need a new rear quarter panel to be installed and painted first anyway (damn rust)
    Some MAACO paint jobs turn out okay if you remove the trim and do some prep work. I recently had a car painted for a little less than $900 there and it turned out great. You can see pictures of it in my 320i Value thread. I went during the half off sale so I was able to get better paint for less money. It also depends on your local MAACO franchise. Some can be good while others can be very bad. I really liked the MAACO in Addison, TX and they painted the car.

Before.
    before paint.jpg
    After.
    After paint.jpg
    Last edited by Thecatmilton; 04-25-2017 at 04:32 PM.

My Cars
    1991 BMW E30 318is
    Interesting... from the guys I've talked to at cars and coffee and at the dragstrip (where everyone has their beaters painted by MAACO for $500 every year). Most are disappointed, but they usually know they're getting into. I've seen windows, exhausts, tires and headlights with overspray... Must be my local MAACO, or maybe just the lower priced job. My dad just got his part of his hood resprayed after a rock fell off a truck and smashed, the shop (a family owned business) only painted about a square foot area, but it cost around $900... Don't want to imagine what a full car job would cost. Then again, they had to clear coat the whole hood, and Space Grey might be an expensive color. It looks fantastic though, I guess you get what you pay for.

My Cars
    e82, e34 touring, e21
    Quote Originally Posted by Thecatmilton View Post
    Some MAACO paint jobs turn out okay if you remove the trim and do some prep work. I recently had a car painted for a little less than $900 there and it turned out great. You can see pictures of it in my 320i Value thread. I went during the half off sale so I was able to get better paint for less money. It also depends on your local MAACO franchise. Some can be good while others can be very bad. I really liked the MAACO in Addison, TX and they painted the car. Before.before paint.jpgAfter.After paint.jpg
    VERY NICE PAINT JOB!!!! And beautiful car! Thank you for the share!!!

My Cars
    e82, e34 touring, e21
    Hey there everyone! We are excited to show you the "completed" wrap. We still have some exciting project ahead of us! Thanks for watching!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZ6w50ROyB4

My Cars
    e82, e34 touring, e21
    https://youtu.be/W5tWByoqAuQ

We have made progress on the orange BMW! Added roof racks and other mods. Check it out.

- - - Updated - - -

IMG_5047.jpg