RM European Auto Parts

Thread: 2003 Bmw 330CI

My Cars
    2001 325i, 328i, 323ci

2003 Bmw 330CI

Hello Guys (:
    I have a major issue with my e46. and it has honestly beaten me with a stick I can't seem to figure it out..

when I try to start it it takes forever to start, once it starts no misfire... you can rev it up no problem.. once it starts it can stay running forever; however in Reverse car drives completely fine, when in Drive ( automatic ) vehicle will no move and it will not go pass 1200 rpm even when you floor it.

Start. it does it either cold or warm doesn't matter it will always do it

this is me flooring the gas pedal, i did put the vehicle on jacks and raised it from the back and Rpms and transmission shifts as it should. this only happens under load and only in Drive, Reverse is fine and like i said in Neutro or Park, vehicle revs up completely fine and no skip

Ive replaced.

Camshaft sensor
    Vanos
    MAF

I'm out of ideas.

Code is for a Camshaft sensor, I did check the engine timing to make sure it didn't skip a tooth and is fine; however it would misfire if it was a timing issue and it does not misfire or shut off..

Any ideas would be appreciate it thanks
    Last edited by jcxq; 04-22-2017 at 06:53 PM.

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Yeah, um, there's a lot of information which does not fit well together.

You say that you've replaced the Vanos....and that you've "checked the timing to make sure it didn't skip a tooth". And, well, that smells a bit fishy, to me. For one thing, gears and chains don't "skip a tooth". Furthermore, a vanos engine doesn't line up again correctly, after running -- checking the timing basically means locking it all down again. Do you have the cam and crank locks?

And you say you have a cam sensor code, and that you've replaced the cam sensor.....but you didn't even mention WHICH cam sensor? That makes no sense at all. What are you using to read the codes? You can't diagnose this engine with a dime-store OBD2 code reader.

Why did you replace the MAF? Why did you "replace the Vanos"?

You say that in reverse it runs fine, but in drive it won't go over 1200 rpm? So what are the codes in the EGS and ABS/DSC computers?

It seems to me you've been throwing outrageously expensive parts and labor at the car, without ever having bothered to have the codes read from all the computers with a proper BMW diagnostic computer.

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471

My Cars
    2001 325i, 328i, 323ci
    I use INPA for diagnosting; I do have the locking tools for the Cams and flywheel ( I wouldn't know how to time this engine other wise )

I have another e46 for spare parts that starts up fine so I swapped the Vanos and Camshaft

Camshaft Bank 1

Also ABS/DSC modules have no codes, I can't access the Transmission module for some weird reason

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    The problem with your stated code is that you have no information as to WHICH cam sensor is being referred to: Intake, or exhaust? Both of these cams serve BOTH bank 1 (cylinders 1-2-3, and bank 2 (cylinders 4,5,6) There is no camshaft sensor for bank1.

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

My Cars
    2001 325i, 328i, 323ci
    Intake side

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    I'm no transmission mechanic, but if I'm getting no communication between the transmission and TCM,
    and possibly no communication between TCM and DME, check the harness connections at the modules and transmission.
    Next I suspect transmission malfunction or failure. Have you bothered to check transmission fluid level and fluid condition?
    Have you at least attempted fluid and filter replacement to possibly alleviate the condition?
    The video seems to indicate a failsafe mode for protection against high rpms.
    The crucial question: did symptoms occur before as well as after the components you replaced?

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    In your second video, it appears that your transmission is in drive. Is the back end in the air? Do the wheels turn? I see that the speedometer doesn't move...... Do you have a gear light in the instrument cluster? (The reflection prevents me from seeing)

With an auto transmission car, you absolutely have to converse with the EGS, with a problem like this, because the EGS can cause the problem. Does your car have the round, 20 pin diagnostic port underhood? I forget whether this went away in 2001 or 2002, but if the car has this port, you should communicate through that. If you can't communicate, open up the e-box and see if it's wet in there. Unplug all the computer connectors from the EGS AND the DME, clean both sides of each plug with Electrical Contact Cleaner (preferably Wurth Electrical Contact Cleaner Oil), and plug them back in, and try again to communicate.

The DME should have other codes, too....as should the ABS.....for lack of communication with the EGS. Even the instrument cluster should have codes for this.

Because your code didn't specify whether the problem was the intake or exhaust cam sensor, I'd go aheead and swap the exhaust sensor too, to try to get rid of that code, but I do not think that's the reason your car won't rev in gear. I think that will be the EGS communication issue, or a throttle potentiometer issue, if you have any codes for that.

Does your speedometer work?

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

My Cars
    2001 325i, 328i, 323ci
    Transmission fluid is fine, i checked it, this only happens under load if the wheels are raised from the rear and then put it in Drive the vehicle will move as it should

- - - Updated - - -

Speedometer does work I could check the connections and make sure it's not moister in there or any type of dampness however if you put the vehicle in the lift the vehicle will move as it should in Drive

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    And, in the air, in Drive, will the engine rev to more than 1200 rpm? (Make sure to hold down the DSC button for five seconds before you do this.)

By the way, are you saying that you have no codes in the ABS/DSC, AFTER running the rear wheels in the air?

It seems pretty certain to me that your problem lies in the transmission, and failed communications with the EGS.

However, the long cranking before start will be another issue; I'm not sure a bad exhaust cam sensor will cause this, but if that's truly the only code you have, you should start with that.

In your second video, why isn't the speedometer moving, if the car's in drive?

Just to check, can you describe exactly how you checked the transmission fluid?

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

My Cars
    2001 325i, 328i, 323ci
    When off the ground revs fine, and speedo moves under load even if you put it in D it will not move not even a foot.

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    If the transmission is correctly full, it's time for a new one. However, the failure of communications with the EGS means that there's another problem also.

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

My Cars
    2001 325i, 328i, 323ci
    I cant even communicate with it via inpa

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Does your car have the round 20-pin diagnostic port underhood?

Also, if you use INPA to go into the EWS, or the DME, can you see live data telling you gear position? (Both of these computers require this info from the trans computer).

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

My Cars
    2001 325i, 328i, 323ci
    I will check for the port under the hood but i doubt it i havent seen it

My Cars
    2001 325i, 328i, 323ci
    No port found.

My Cars
    2001 325i, 328i, 323ci
    Bump

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Yeah, your car is likely just past that borderline. If you don't see a big round, capped electrical plug (like 2.5" diameter, black, round, passenger side inner fender or that weird empty box near windsieldd), you'll be using the 16 pin OBD2 port to converse.

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

My Cars
    2001 325i, 328i, 323ci
    I still have no clue wtf is going on with this car lmao I checked all grounds all wires everything seems to be where it belongs