Thread: Now a new problem, the 335d dreaded "Incorrect diesel exhaust fluid added" light!

My Cars
    2011 BMW 335d

Now a new problem, the 335d dreaded "Incorrect diesel exhaust fluid added" light!

Another issue came up Thursday on the drive home (around 90 miles). The center screen lit up red "Incorrect diesel exhaust fluid added..." and that it had to be corrected in less than 200 miles or the engine would not start. Since the dealer installed a new sensor (EPA mandated and covered as a warranty item), they also installed new DEF fluid. Also the "service engine soon" light came back on at the same time. When I initially contacted them (BMW if Portland), the service managers response was:
    "The service engine light is going to be on due the repairs that were not completed. As for the incorrect diff fluid there a few diffract thing that could be going on. If you had the fluid topped off and it was diluted or there may be a sensor that is failing."

My response:"per your shop receipt, you were the last one to install the def fluid after changing the sensor. This problem is the result of your warranty work. See attached"
    His response:

"I wasn’t saying that we didn’t I was simply advising to what could be going as per your request in you email. If you would like to bring it in I would be happy to look into the dif fluid warning. Please let me know if you would like to bring it in"
    Its easy to see why I don't like this service manager - he is a BULL SHIT TRIP! This is the kind of stuff that would piss off the POPE! Not to mention the amount of time it is wasting out of my life.
    I have read in some other BMW forums that this can be more that just a fluid problem .If anyone else has had this experience with the "Incorrect diesel exhaust fluid added" light problem, I would like to hear from you.
    Attached Files Attached Files

My Cars
    2001 525it
    The main problem right now is you have to go back to the dealer, until then neither one of you know what is going on. Certainly that can be frustrating but your problem can not be resolved in emails. The diesels are very complicated cars way more complicated then the gas cars and they will probably continue to have issues on the future. The service mangers job is the worst job at the dealership, imagine your emails and everyone else's he or she gets daily, the bullshit that they have to deal with. They didn't build the shitty car. So take a deep breath , relaxed and go vist the dealer ship. Their humans just like you

My Cars
    2011 E90 M3, 2004 M3
    The right response would be...bring it in and we'll take a look at it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2011 E90 ///M3 Individual
    2004 ///M3 - Track Car

My Cars
    2011 BMW 335d
    Taking it back into the dealer this week. If anyone else has had the 335d problem of: red lights on dash and center screen "Incorrect diesel exhaust fluid added...", I would like to hear about it.
    Here is part of the recall that started this whole thing:
    BMW VOLUNTARY EMISSIONS RECALL CAMPAIGN SCR Catalyst, EGR Valve and/or DEF Mixer and ECU Software Flash

CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 11E-A03

Dear BMW Owner:
    At BMW of North America, we are committed to maintaining a level of automotive and service excellence that exceeds your expectations now and in the future.
    BMW has determined that certain 2009, 2010, and 2011 model year BMW automobiles equipped with diesel engines may fail to fully meet the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and the California Air Resources Board emission control requirements. In order to remedy this situation, BMW is conducting a Voluntary Emissions Recall Campaign. We are asking you, as the owner of an affected vehicle, to contact your authorized BMW center at your earliest convenience to have the repair carried out in order to ensure that your vehicle receives the improved technology. This is not only to comply with these emission control requirements, but to prevent becoming inconvenienced in the event the problem described below should occur.
    The problem is...
    BMW internal analysis has shown that certain emissions components, including the SCR catalyst, the DEF mixer and the EGR valve, may not be robust enough over increasing vehicle mileage. As a result, the NOx emissions standard could be exceeded, along with the illumination of the “Service Engine Soon Lamp.”

I did not know about this recall or was notified of it before the car went into the dealer earlier this month.
    Thanks

My Cars
    335d, 328xd (had 330xi)
    Quote Originally Posted by chronodeco View Post

BMW VOLUNTARY EMISSIONS RECALL CAMPAIGN SCR Catalyst, EGR Valve and/or DEF Mixer and ECU Software Flash

CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 11E-A03

I did not know about this recall or was notified of it before the car went into the dealer earlier this month.
    That recall is from 2011; my 335d had it done in May of 2011. Did you own the car then? It should have already been performed.
    See: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=800030 for complete explanation and discussion.

If it hadn't been done, you would likely have had problems way before this.
    Last edited by floydr; 04-24-2017 at 12:08 PM. Reason: add e90post reference

My Cars
    2011 BMW 335d
    I bought it in the Summer of 2012. I will check my files and see if it might have been done before with some other service. Thanks
    Update - I checked my files and there was no record of this recall repair. However, someone else owned or leased the car for the 1st year and I have no records for that period.
    Dealer sent a not yesterday that it needed a new knock sensor and the part was on order. I have no idea what this has to do with the "Incorrect diesel exhaust fluid added..." light?
    Last edited by chronodeco; 04-27-2017 at 07:01 AM.

My Cars
    It is a NOx sensor, not knock. Oxides of nitrogen. It's like an o2 sensor, but for diesels. There is one before the SCR cat, and one after. If one of both fails, it will send implausible readings, tricking the DDE into thinking that the diesel exhaust fluid isn't correct because it's not reducing the NOx levels as it should.
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician

My Cars
    2011 BMW 335d

Update - "incorrect diesel fluid installed" red light

Quote Originally Posted by White94RX View Post
    It is a NOx sensor, not knock. Oxides of nitrogen. It's like an o2 sensor, but for diesels. There is one before the SCR cat, and one after. If one of both fails, it will send implausible readings, tricking the DDE into thinking that the diesel exhaust fluid isn't correct because it's not reducing the NOx levels as it should.
    The 335d went back into the dealer last week and I picked it up this past Monday. Here is a summary of what they found...
    1) DEF fluid had "35% mixture has too much water in the tank" - this fluid was installed by the dealer the last time it was in for the emissions recall! Fluid drained and replaced.
    2) Both NOx sensors changed.
    3) Vehicle had to be extensively road tested to clear the DEF warning would go away.
    Fortunately there was no charge for all of this. Its been running fine for the past 2 days - hope it stays that way now.