Thread: Light control module - rear fogs error

My Cars
    '94 840Ci 6-speed

Light control module - rear fogs error

Recently swapped my LKM with euro version, and excited to have my own "wall of light". The (hid) fogs coupled with high beam and hid lows provide an immense amount of light capable of illuminating the moon.

Of course, there had to be a caviat. Naturally, I'm getting the MID "rear fog light error".
    If there is a way to get the rear fogs to work on a US spec, how? If not, how do I "fool" the MID?
    Any help appreciated.

My Cars
    Made in Germany
    All market version use the same LKM - the only difference is in the coding. In other words, there's no need to replace the LKM if you want the "euro version". Just recode yours. In fact, that's a better approach because it gives you more control over individual lights like the rear fogs.

Your options are now to install the rear fog lights or... recode the LKM. See the pictures by 8eights in rear fog light template for an example of how to modify your tail lights.

To recode the LKM you'll need a BMW diagnostic system (or know some other enthusiast who owns one) with NCS Expert (part of the Ediabas/INPA suite) and an interface that is compatible with the E31 (ADS or GT1 yellow head). The dealer can't help you with this - they use high level programming tools which do not provide the level of control over individual settings you need for this.

Use NCS Expert to read a trace file from the LKM, make the required changes to the trace file, and finally recode the LKM with the updated trace file. You can use NCS Dummy for safe editing of the trace file and to provide translations for the settings in the trace file.

Here's what the coding of a "euro" LKM looks like:

Code:
    FEHLER_3.BREMSLEUCHTE
    	melden
    FL/LH_BEI_KSW_OFFEN
    	aktiv
    KALTUEBERWACHUNG
    	nsl_li_re
    KALTUEBERWACHUNG_NSL
    	aktiv
    KALTUEBERWACHUNG_NSW
    	aktiv
    KSW_FEHLERMELDUNG
    	nicht_aktiv
    NSW_BEI_ABBLENDLICHT
    	aktiv
    NSW_BEI_FL/LH
    	aktiv
    In order to disable the rear fog bulb monitor, change "KALTUEBERWACHUNG_NSL" to "nicht_aktiv". That way you'll get euro behavior on the front, but keep US behavior on the back. If your car does not have a third brake light, set "FEHLER_3.BREMSLEUCHTE" to "nicht_melden".

My Cars
    '94 840Ci 6-speed
    Revtor, you appear to be a coding wizard and good to know the options.
    Unfortunately, I was unable to see the pics on the 2013 thread, but think I've already come to the conclusion I don't need/want to start another e31mod - too many in progress already.

That said, is there a resister or something "simple" I can install at the wiring loom to prevent the error code?

My Cars
    Made in Germany
    Sure, resistors should work. Since you do not have the (rear) fog light switch you are unable to switch on the lights so you only have to take care of the "cold" monitoring. In this thread it is suggested a 10 ohm resistor will work (one per side). You can take plain 1/4 watt resistors since the cold monitoring current is very low.

Note that if you ever activate the rear fog lights by installing the proper switch, accidentally shorting something, or through diagnostics, the small 10 ohm resistors will blow to smithereens! A safer approach may be using a PTC resistor but I do not know the thresholds of the cold monitoring. Alternatively you could use 10 ohm / 25 watt resistors but that may be overkill for a situation that should never occur...

My Cars
    '94 840Ci 6-speed
    Awesome. Very helpful and greatly appreciated.
    I'll give that a try.

Should you have time for one more piece of invaluable advice, I have another MID error issue for you.
    Getting the license plate light error. Yes, I fixed the broken wires at the trunk loom. All lights are working fine also.
    Many thoughts?

My Cars
    99 840ci Sport Indv
    You haven't found ALL the broken wires yet!

Quote Originally Posted by PlumToe View Post
    Awesome. Very helpful and greatly appreciated.
    I'll give that a try.

Should you have time for one more piece of invaluable advice, I have another MID error issue for you.
    Getting the license plate light error. Yes, I fixed the broken wires at the trunk loom. All lights are working fine also.
    Many thoughts?
    Timm..2007 E64 650i Individual Sport..1999 E31 840ci Individual Sport..ex owner of 2000 E38 740..1999 E38 740i V8 M62..1998 E38 735i V8..1993 E32 730i V8..1988 E28 518i

My BMW Repair YouTube Channel
    My Current 840ci Sport Individual
    My Current 650ci Sport Individual
    My E31 Repair and Information Website
    My E38 Repair and Information Website
    My E63/E64 Repair and Information Website

Chase - Heroes to a generation

My Cars
    91 Dinan860 & 91 850 6sp
    Quote Originally Posted by Timm View Post
    You haven't found ALL the broken wires yet!
    Exactly.
    '91 Dinan 860 Stage III (new 6L engine)
    '91 Dinan 850 TT stage III (brand new engine) 21st Century Tech meets 18th Century Dinan...
    '91 850i 6sp (mint) (sold)
    '90 Dinan 750iL TT stage III (Guido - The Beast)
    '94 850 CSi The Detroit Auto Show car (restored to factory perfect) (sold)
    '96 850Ci, The George Carlin car
    ''73 3.0 csi, '08 535i, '03 X5 4.6is
    ...and a few other non BMW cars

My Cars
    91 850 Panzer
    or.... one (or both) of the lp bulbs are on the verge of failing...
    91 850 (Panzer), 2012 Mini Cooper Countryman (WifeMobile) www.wuffer.ca

My Cars
    '94 840Ci 6-speed
    Damnit! I knew that would be a (your) response, Timm. ;-)
    I fixed them using your post last year to begin with, the error is intermittent so I'll have to check again including the wiring leading to the bulbs after swapping out the bulbs, thanks Wuffer.
    Never had such a sensitive BMW in my life, but (somehow) it's all worth it.