Thread: Expert advice please!

My Cars
    2003 BMW 325i Sedan

Expert advice please!

Hi, I am new to bimmerforums. Can anyone help! I have a 2003 BMW 325i that runs great, but the instrument cluster panel went blank. Everything external from the panel works, lights and turn signals, but the panel turn signal indicator light and gauges for fuel, speedometer, RPM and temperature are not working, including the digital indicator panel at the bottom. The one that indicates that a bulb, stoplight is out or that the door is opened. I can make minor repairs, but I'm not a mechanic, I suspect that the instrument cluster went bad, I checked the fuse of the instrument cluster in the glove box and they are okay. Is there any other thing I should check before coming to the conclusion that it's the instrument cluster? If you have experience with this type of issue, please advise what can or should be done.

Thank you,
    JCaballero17

Hi just read this an thought you could give it a try these dashboards are a pain! there are fuses in the fusebox under the bonnet, check them first, also remove them and put them back to see if it resets it, if not then there is a test you can do,,,,,

press the mileage button on the dash, turn the ignition key to position one release the button and the das should perform a complete check, i.e gauges and mileage pixel.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

There was another one aswell i read is a static discharge to the car disconnect the 2 leads off the battery an hold them togeather for a couple of seconds but not on the battery mind an c if that helps good luck

My Cars
    2003 BMW 325i Sedan
    Thank you for taking the time to coach me, I will try your recommendations to see if I have any luck. I appreciate it.

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaunturner82 View Post
    Hi just read this an thought you could give it a try these dashboards are a pain! there are fuses in the fusebox under the bonnet, check them first, also remove them and put them back to see if it resets it, if not then there is a test you can do,,,,,

press the mileage button on the dash, turn the ignition key to position one release the button and the das should perform a complete check, i.e gauges and mileage pixel.

Try this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twM7NchxjXI

Quote Originally Posted by Shaunturner82 View Post
    There was another one aswell i read is a static discharge to the car disconnect the 2 leads off the battery an hold them togeather for a couple of seconds but not on the battery mind an c if that helps good luck

Honestly, disconnecting a battery lead and putting it right back seems to reset the ECU about 90% of the time. 10 seconds of disconnect seems to get that last 10%. I wouldn't risk damage to the computer modules.

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    Did you check all 3 instrument cluster fuses?#(12,23,24)

My Cars
    2004 325xi,2004 545i SMG
    If your car has NAV. Look at the nav computer in trunk and do not disconnect battery if the red light is lit. could burn out the nav computer. was always told this in training. but i would 1. check all fuses, does the cluster work other than the lights not working? as in needles move tach ect. then would reset the car. unhook battery for 10 min. 3. perform a pixel and gauge test using self test functions if available. (or use DIS tester). some scan tools aftermarket can make the cluster self test also.

if that all fails the lights are built into the cluster, some had bulbs others didnt.
    Level 1 Certified BMW tech.