eBMWParts

Thread: Need a little shock advice.

My Cars
    1996 E36 328IS

Need a little shock advice.

Ok so I have a 1996 e36 coupe. 166000 miles. I know I have one blown shock on the passenger rear. Just replaced the sway bar link on that side as well. Other bushings and link look ok, but they are on the to do list anyway. I need some advice on what Bilstein shocks to get. I will be hauling around tools and Jack and spare and stuff because I'm working out of the back of the car. Should I get the stiffer yellow set or would the regular shocks be ok? Or is there a better heavy duty shock out there? Also where are the most reasonable priced parts?

Thanks

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    Regular is probably fine unless you plan on taking it to the track. You're also leaving the stock springs in the car so moving to significantly stiffer dampers probably wouldn't be advisable.

Also take a look at Konis. I'm sure there's kits available for standard E36's, from just shocks/struts all the way up to a full suspension with springs, shock mounts, camber plates, and so forth.
    1999 M3/2/5 - Titanium Silver - Track/Weekend Toy

My Cars
    1996 E36 328IS
    Yes not going to the track with it. As I am at least the third owner of this car I don't know what's stock and what's not. All the bushings look stock and are going to be replaced as soon as I can afford it. I think one of the previous owners ran over something big so the entire passenger side suspension is shot, and they just kept going ignoring the problem. It's also been in at least one fender bender as the rear end is a bit crunched and the spare tire well is extremely tight.

I appreciate the info and will go with the stock shocks.

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    From what you described, it would also probably pay to have the whole suspension inspected to determine if anything is bent or broken. Certain components are designed to fail in collisions in order to prevent damage to the driveline or frame. Things like control arms.

Pay for a couple hours of a good BMW-experienced mechanic to do that, and if they find anything you can decide whether it's something you want to tackle yourself. A lot of it is pretty straightforward and there's plenty of DIY guides online.

Then, when you're done with all that, get an alignment.
    1999 M3/2/5 - Titanium Silver - Track/Weekend Toy

My Cars
    various
    Always take the opportunity to upgrade from OEM.

OEM is designed for longevity and comfort, but primarily for COST.

Even an uprated non-adjustable Bilstein will provide a tangible improvement, although I'm partial to adjustable Koni Yellows on street cars.

Cars

My Cars
    Avus Cosmos Calypso!
    Billy sports are too stiff for the roads but HD and touring are probably pretty good. I got koni sports for the adjustability. But I believe the bilsteins are more robust and durable. Street car application for me.