Thread: Transmission rebuild costs...

My Cars
    07 530xiT, 05 CLK500 Cab

Transmission rebuild costs...

What is the "ball park" cost to rebuild the 530 Xi (07) trans....or cost to buy and install a used trans?
    Last edited by daka; 04-20-2017 at 09:38 AM.
    BMWCCA # 12660
    PCA # 1994019867
    2019 Porsche Macan S (75% Mine)
    2018 M/B C 300 Cabrio AMG (wifes)
    2003 Porsche 996 Cabrio 6 speed (99% mine)
    ***FOR SALE 2007 BMW E 61 530xiT
    I WILL BE NEEDING A BMW E 30 CABRIO SOON
    2014 M/B GLK 350 (awful car, lease) gone
    2005 M/B CLK 500 AMG gone
    3 Z3's (gone)
    2006 911 S Cabrio (gone)
    4 Boxsters (gone)
    2006 X5 3.0 (gone)
    1999 528iT (gone)
    1994 525iT (gone)
    7 Assorted 911's (gone)
    60 others (gone over 70 years)

Pelican Parts is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '02 E39 Touring
    According to Transmission Repair Cost Guide readers, the average cost of transmission replacement ranges from $1800 to $3500. A used/salvage transmission ranges from $800 to $1500, a rebuilt transmission from $1500 to $2500 and a remanufactured from $2500 to $3500.

-Dmitry
    Your Trusted Source For DIY and Parts
    FREE SHIPPING over $99 click here
    BMW Parts | DIY Tech Articles | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube | Promos
    888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST

My Cars
    07 530xiT, 05 CLK500 Cab
    I'm just trying to figure out a "fund" for the 07 530Xi wagon I just bought...
    So, $2500 goes in for the "eventual" transmission....I have figured about $1000 right away
    battery a pair of tires.....The car only has 38,000 one owner miles and was BMW serviced every 6,000 miles (from Cafrfax)
    BMWCCA # 12660
    PCA # 1994019867
    3 Z3's (gone)
    2006 911 S Cabrio (gone)
    4 Boxsters (gone)
    2006 X5 3.0 (gone)
    1999 528iT (gone)
    1994 525iT (gone)
    7 Assorted 911's (gone)

Pelican Parts is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '02 E39 Touring
    If that's the case, then you have a long time to go until the whole trans needs to be replaced. Is this a common failure in these cars? I've never read that the trans is faulty.

-Dmitry
    Your Trusted Source For DIY and Parts
    FREE SHIPPING over $99 click here
    BMW Parts | DIY Tech Articles | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube | Promos
    888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST

My Cars
    2001 525it
    First nobody unless they are connected to zf can rebuild a trans, so a factory trans is 5,000-6,000 dollars,then maybe a used one.

My Cars
    1998 528i; 2000 540i;
    But, they can replace parts inside the works such as clutches and bearings. There are youtube videos of mechanics doing just that. I believe there is even one of the 4th or 5th gear being replaced. You can also rebuild the valve body (I think it's called a zip kit) and replace solenoids, along with rubber parts between the valve body and transmission, and the mechatronic sleeve.
    gmak: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly. A journey with my new-to-me 2000 540i

"Working on a BMW E39 is the best way to run out of time."

My Cars
    2007 530i
    I just had the trans rebuilt on my '07 530i. $3400 and some change @3800 after tax, 3/36 warranty. I also had quotes upwards to $6900..believe it or not.... I went this route vs. my thoughts of trading it in on another vehicle just because we do not have car payments and really don't want one...
    Came with new torque convertor also. Runs like a top. Had very hard 3-4 shifts and would also roll backwards when in neutral...Now to get all of the other minor issues up to par...

My Cars
    07 530xiT, 05 CLK500 Cab
    At what mileage do these seem to be failing?
    BMWCCA # 12660
    PCA # 1994019867
    3 Z3's (gone)
    2006 911 S Cabrio (gone)
    4 Boxsters (gone)
    2006 X5 3.0 (gone)
    1999 528iT (gone)
    1994 525iT (gone)
    7 Assorted 911's (gone)

My Cars
    1998 528i; 2000 540i;
    Mine is dropping hard from 2nd to 1st, and waffling back and forth between 4th and 5th on the highway. This is at 159K km, with a fluid and filter change 2 years and 10K km ago. I'm changing the valve body rubber and solenoids and cleaning off contacts etc with brake cleaner.

My Cars
    2008 BMW 535i Sport/Prem
    Hi I'm new here, and have a problem w/ my transmission. I have a 2008 BMW 535i w/ 100k miles, new twin turbo replaced at 80k through BMW/dealer warranty. My transmission goes into fail-safe mode in high gears (when trying to go fast on the highway, basically gunning it), otherwise it's been driveable if I don't overdo it. So, my mechanic discovered the problem in the diagnostic codes and warned me about this happening. Unfortunately, he doesn't do transmission work, and I made the mistake of taking it to my local AAMCO. They took it apart and showed me that those clutches were burnt out, scratched, burnt fluid, and also told me that the valve body is bad. They want $7,3000 to rebuild my transmission with the new valve body. I told them that's ridiculous and to put my transmission back together. They wouldn't budge on the price, and acted like they were doing me a favor at that price. They also told me the VB Solenoids can't be replaced because they can't be purchased individually which is a lie (well my mechanic said you can buy them in a pack). I asked them how do they know my VB is bad, did they run any diagnostics on it, they beat around the bush and basically didn't. I asked them how much to just do the clutches, seals/rings, etc only w/out the VB, and they said $3,300 but will not provide any warranty. Again, I declined, and told them to put the transmission back together. The dianostic cost of taking transmission apart and re-assembling it is $695, so now i'm out that $$. All the places I've called, i can't find a rebuilt one to purchase, they will only rebuild mine. The lowest price I found is in Georgia (I'm in Florida) for $2,800, then my mechanic would charge $1200 to install it and program, plus $250 shipping for the transmission. They would give me a 12-month warranty, but i'm not gonna do that cause I don't want a warranty from some shop in Georgia. I called another local transmission place and they want $4,995 to rebuild mine which includes the valve body w/ a 18month warranty. I can't seem to find any locallly yet that can rebuild mine for $3000-4000 (including the valve body) and provide a decent warranty. I'm really dissapointed that AAMCO tried to rip me off, and hoping they put my transmission back together properly. I don't know what to do at this point which is why I'm seeking help/advice in this forum. I will make more calls around locally (calling the dealer on Monday too) and see what other shops can do for me. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

My Cars
    1998 528i; 2000 540i;
    Read this. It's a classic. While an earlier version of your transmission, it should still apply.

I had hard drop from 2nd to 1st along with the waffling between 4th and 5th on the highway. I'm in the process of changing the solenoids in the valve body, along with the rubber bits that are above the VB. I'm just waiting for the foam strip that goes on the VB solenoid contacts to show up in the mail.

But, if your clutches are burnt and toast, then there may be no easy solution.

This guy really knows his stuff, but I don't know where he is located.

My Cars
    2020 Mercedes S560
    Quote Originally Posted by daka View Post
    At what mileage do these seem to be failing?
    Mine failed at 22,000 miles

My Cars
    2006 BMW Z4M Coupe

It's Called an RDI

That's called an RDI and it's the industry standard for trapping customers. They call you back, tell you the problem is internal to the transmission and since transmissions are closed systems they can't see inside to know what parts are damaged. So, they need to REMOVE, DISASSEMBLE and INSPECT the transmission to determine what needs repaired or replaced. They charge $600-900 (depending on how much flight risk you pose) and tell you that'll go toward final repairs. After they have it apart and you on the hook for a chunk of money, they then tell you the price and you're trapped. To make it worse, if you tell them you want to take the car back they tell you it'll be another charge to put it back together. Being on the hook for $1200-$1800 makes it MUCH harder to justify going anywhere else.

They DON'T have to do it this way but it's the best way they know how to get as many transmission jobs as they can. I own a transmission shop in the Southeast Houston area (Friendswood) and we do NOT do RDI's because we don't believe in trapping people. But, you do lose more jobs that way because it's easier for people to shop around or to use you to get an honest assessment of whether or not it is in fact a transmission problem and then go somewhere else for the cheap fix (rarely ever lasts very long). In my experience, shops that do RDI's are also the ones who believe every job that comes in saying they have transmission problems is a transmission job...whether it really is or not so PLEASE be careful. My shop averages 25% - 30% of our customers who DO NOT end up having transmission problems. There are a lot of things that go into it and that can make you feel like it's a transmission problem when it isn't.

I'll leave you with an example: We had a 2006 7 series that was quoted $8500 to replace it at the dealer. We fixed it for less than $650 including the $75 tow bill and $200 in BMW fluid. Her bridge seal was cracked causing it to jump back into park as soon as you put it into drive or reverse.

Take care!

My Cars
    1987 M6
    You are an awesome shop owner Jeffrey. I wish you were closer, so I could send people to you.

My experience with our 2006 530xi was that the tranny was doing the wierd down shift surge from 2-1. Extended warranty replaced the whole shebang to the tune of $7k. We are now very happy with the shifting.

From what I see/read, it looks like transmission problems really kick in at around 100k, and the fix seems to be a mechatronic valve body rebuild. If it were me, I would not be worried at only 38K, but I would change fluid and connector seals/gaskets at 75k. I consider that cheap insurance that will protect longevity.

Jose
    1987 M6
    Livin the dream!

My Cars
    audi a6, bmw 525, vw
    My 2007 530xi had the 2-1 surge and would go into limp in 4th gear. Replaced the valve body and all mechatronics. Cost about $2600 to do it all myself, but it has been reliable for the last 30k. I suspect the actual problem was only the mechatronics tubes as they were very hard and brittle.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My Cars
    bmw
    hi Jeffreyjjk1 i m from , i got problem with transmition , can i get your shop , so i can stop by let u check on my bmw se what wrong with my car

My Cars
    2006 bmw 750li
    Hello my name is Xavier i have a 2006 bmw 750li the vehicle when put in to drive automatically jumps back in to park your thoughts? also can you recommend a shop in the Dallas area? If not can you forward your shop information. Thanks Xavier

My Cars
    2008 Bmw x5 4.8i
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffreyjjk1 View Post
    That's called an RDI and it's the industry standard for trapping customers. They call you back, tell you the problem is internal to the transmission and since transmissions are closed systems they can't see inside to know what parts are damaged. So, they need to REMOVE, DISASSEMBLE and INSPECT the transmission to determine what needs repaired or replaced. They charge $600-900 (depending on how much flight risk you pose) and tell you that'll go toward final repairs. After they have it apart and you on the hook for a chunk of money, they then tell you the price and you're trapped. To make it worse, if you tell them you want to take the car back they tell you it'll be another charge to put it back together. Being on the hook for $1200-$1800 makes it MUCH harder to justify going anywhere else.

They DON'T have to do it this way but it's the best way they know how to get as many transmission jobs as they can. I own a transmission shop in the Southeast Houston area (Friendswood) and we do NOT do RDI's because we don't believe in trapping people. But, you do lose more jobs that way because it's easier for people to shop around or to use you to get an honest assessment of whether or not it is in fact a transmission problem and then go somewhere else for the cheap fix (rarely ever lasts very long). In my experience, shops that do RDI's are also the ones who believe every job that comes in saying they have transmission problems is a transmission job...whether it really is or not so PLEASE be careful. My shop averages 25% - 30% of our customers who DO NOT end up having transmission problems. There are a lot of things that go into it and that can make you feel like it's a transmission problem when it isn't.

I'll leave you with an example: We had a 2006 7 series that was quoted $8500 to replace it at the dealer. We fixed it for less than $650 including the $75 tow bill and $200 in BMW fluid. Her bridge seal was cracked causing it to jump back into park as soon as you put it into drive or reverse.

Take care!
    2008 BMWx5 4.8i
    Follow up-
    After they called and said the car is throwing a solenoid code (they previously replaced solenoids) they called back again and said the car has 2 (mismatched) issues.

They said it's not leaking in the area where they previously worked on it.
    1st video, first guy says it's leaking from the transfer case
    2nd video, second guy says it's leaking from the torque converter.

The car needs a new mechatronic but they're reluctant to say how the mechatronics broke or what happened to the solenoids. Just that the car is having pressure or leaking issues and throwing a malfunction code. (Verbally stated in video)

Quoted 7,500 for the transmission rebuild without a 3 year warranty because of a leak that happened within about 250 miles of it being worked on and "road tested to verify function"

The initial job was a zip kit and transmission service with a disclaimer that the zip kit might not fix the shifting issue. After paying almost $3k for that work to be done within about 250 miles the car needs a transmission rebuild and it's leaking in spots the shops is giving me two different spots, so either they aren't in proper communication with the employees on the ONLY 2 ISSUES the car is having or they REALLY HAVE NO IDEA where the transmission is even leaking from.

Should I ask the cost of replacing the transmission with a warranty vs rebuilding the transmission without a warranty?

The car seems to drive perfectly fine at some points and only has issues randomly. If the mechatronics go out, the car usually won't shift into gears.. ? we have told the shop the cars battery is needing replaced and they even charged the battery for us. Would the car be having mechatronic problematic if the battery was bad? Still doesn't solve the leaking issue.

We are going to drive the car back from the shop and see if it's having any issues (drove fine to the shop, no issues) and update with any paperwork.

If the leak is the culprit to the whole issue of needing a transmission rebuild should I further determine what caused the leak even though they said it's leaking in an area they didn't work on, ultimately denying any liability - transfer case or the torque converter - (got two different spots from two different people)