Thread: N55 Fuel injector gone bad - $3,000?

My Cars
    2011 335i Convertible

N55 Fuel injector gone bad - $3,000?

Hi everyone. I have a 2011 335i convertible (N55 engine) with 67,500 miles. Recently, 1 hour into a spirited drive with auto in manual mode and revs around 4000 RPM, the service engine soon light came on along with that half black/orange motor symbol. In park the engine would shake the car on revving. Turned off car for 15 minutes and car was fine. Brought it into an indy shop specializing in BMW, Audi & Porsche. Mechanic computer scanned and measured values to find that #6 injector’s is failing with higher resistance than rest. Rather than replacing a single bad injector, he says that all 6 injectors have to be replaced together – despite the other 5 being good - because they work together via computer. Cost of replacing all 6 injectors is $3000 +. At this point all we did was replace the spark plugs. He said I will have to do the work soon as this misfiring & engine shaking will get worse. So is this mechanic correct? Do I really have to replace all 6 together instead of just the bad injector? $3,000? I’d appreciate your input on this….

My Cars
    2009 335i M-Sport Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by Seanla View Post
    Hi everyone. I have a 2011 335i convertible (N55 engine) with 67,500 miles. Recently, 1 hour into a spirited drive with auto in manual mode and revs around 4000 RPM, the service engine soon light came on along with that half black/orange motor symbol. In park the engine would shake the car on revving. Turned off car for 15 minutes and car was fine. Brought it into an indy shop specializing in BMW, Audi & Porsche. Mechanic computer scanned and measured values to find that #6 injector’s is failing with higher resistance than rest. Rather than replacing a single bad injector, he says that all 6 injectors have to be replaced together – despite the other 5 being good - because they work together via computer. Cost of replacing all 6 injectors is $3000 +. At this point all we did was replace the spark plugs. He said I will have to do the work soon as this misfiring & engine shaking will get worse. So is this mechanic correct? Do I really have to replace all 6 together instead of just the bad injector? $3,000? I’d appreciate your input on this….
    The injectors can be had for roughly $130 each, and they can be replaced individually.

My Cars
    2011 335i Convertible
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketSurgeon View Post
    The injectors can be had for roughly $130 each, and they can be replaced individually.
    Hi RocketSurgeon, just to confirm.... you're referring to the N55 engine above about individual replacement?

My Cars
    2009 335i M-Sport Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by Seanla View Post

Hi RocketSurgeon, just to confirm.... you're referring to the N55 engine above about individual replacement?
    Yes, I triple checked and N55 injectors can be replaced individually. There is even a TIS document outlining the procedure for replacing a single N55 injector. Coding will be required after replacement to calibrate the DME to the flow characteristics of the new injector. I'm happy to send you the software if you want to DIY.

My Cars
    2011 335i Convertible
    Yes, I triple checked and N55 injectors can be replaced individually. There is even a TIS document outlining the procedure for replacing a single N55 injector. Coding will be required after replacement to calibrate the DME to the flow characteristics of the new injector. I'm happy to send you the software if you want to DIY.
    RocketSurgeon
    Thank you so much for checking on this for me. You are a major life saver. That mechanic is a total crook, telling me to spend $3,000.

My Cars
    2011 335i Convertible

UPDATE: RocketSurgeon I can't believe how crooked that indy mechanic was. I took the car to the dealer and they diagnosed it as ONE ignition coil gone bad (cylinder 1). Repair cost including diagnostic ($484). The indy mechanic told me it would cost me $3,000 to replace all 6 fuel injectors! He also told me my HPFP was borderline and would go bad in future. Dealer says HPFP is fine. Avoid a company called Euro-Tech in Culver City and Marina del Rey CA for your BMW, Audi or Porsche.